Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2006, 06:22 AM   #1

At end of June we are going from SW Texas to near Buffalo, NY. for a couple of weeks at relatives. It will take three days to travel there and the travel days are just that - 1800 miles of getting there, not any extended stays or sightseeing along the way.

The internet maps show TWO ways to get from Memphis, TN to Columbus, OH. with about 52 miles difference. <UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> One route is take I-55 from Memphis to St. Louis...I-70 to Indianapolis,IN...then continue on I-70 to Columbus, OH. <LI>Another route is I-40 from Memphis TN to Nashville TN...I-65 to Louisville, KY...I-71 to Columbus[/list]Going thru Nashville shows 52 miles further. It has been six years since we made this trip and I have taken both routes but cant remember which is quicker and easier with a fifth wheel. Also I dont know current road conditions, construction problems, ect...

So question is, What is the best route of the above two, from Memphis TN to Columbus OH (best being fewest hours on the road, less fuel consuming mountain ranges, ect) on this 600 mile leg of our 1800 mile trip??? I never go over 65 MPH with the fiver, so no "easier to speed going route X over route Y" responses please.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2006, 06:22 AM   #2

At end of June we are going from SW Texas to near Buffalo, NY. for a couple of weeks at relatives. It will take three days to travel there and the travel days are just that - 1800 miles of getting there, not any extended stays or sightseeing along the way.

The internet maps show TWO ways to get from Memphis, TN to Columbus, OH. with about 52 miles difference. <UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> One route is take I-55 from Memphis to St. Louis...I-70 to Indianapolis,IN...then continue on I-70 to Columbus, OH. <LI>Another route is I-40 from Memphis TN to Nashville TN...I-65 to Louisville, KY...I-71 to Columbus[/list]Going thru Nashville shows 52 miles further. It has been six years since we made this trip and I have taken both routes but cant remember which is quicker and easier with a fifth wheel. Also I dont know current road conditions, construction problems, ect...

So question is, What is the best route of the above two, from Memphis TN to Columbus OH (best being fewest hours on the road, less fuel consuming mountain ranges, ect) on this 600 mile leg of our 1800 mile trip??? I never go over 65 MPH with the fiver, so no "easier to speed going route X over route Y" responses please.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two Bit: Having done them both, I would go thru Nashville.

Toad: 2006 Honda CR-V
BRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:42 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Robert,

We made this trip for 22 years when we lived in Ohio to come to Odessa, TX to visit our families on vacation. The 2 routes we used were Memphis to Nashville on I-40, then I-65 to Louisville and I-71 to Columbus. The other, with less traffic and nicer scenery (although with tolls) was up I-55 and jump over to Dyersburg, TN (IIRC) and then north to catch the Western Kentucky Parkway to E-town where we picked up I-65. I never even considered the St. Louis option.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:31 PM   #5

BRay & Rusty,

Thanks for the replies.

BRay welcome to the forum. We are almost neighbors cause we are in Uvalde County to your west. We were just in San Antonio today. I hate big town traffic but folks dont cut in front of a four door dually often. It was an all day trip but was nice to eat at Joe's Crab Shack. That almost made it worth it.

Rusty, traveling it for 22 years is a pretty strong argument for the Nashville route. Before I received the replies, I did some compulating, figgering, stood on one leg.... all that stuff, and found that the best price for diesel (this week) near my proposed routes is in MO on I-55 nineteen miles from the Arkansas border (truck stop). The next best prices are in West Memphis AR. With our 95 gallon fuel capacity, either places are within range for our first fuel stop of the trip and we definately will go through West Memphis.

Murphy wants to go through Idaho,but that is because she wanted french fries Her navigation skills are for the bird(dogs)s.

To clarify the St. Louis route, I was going to go up I-55 only as far as I-57, take I-57 north to I-70, thus avoiding St.Louis by being east of there. We would have to hit Indianapolis traffic but would avoid Nashville, Louisville, and Cincinnati traffic. This leg of the trip would be happening on a Friday, the first day of the trip being a Thursday from SW Texas to Little Rock area, overnighting in Little Rock, maybe at Maumelle park (COE park,nice place) or a truck stop/walmart.

It was 1999 when we last made the trip and we went thru Nashville both going and returning. We dont leave till the end of June so I got some time left to decide yet. More comments are welcome from all. Anybody know the road conditions on I-57 south of I-70 to Cairo?

PS. I also found out Indiana and Ohio have lower diesel prices than western PA and western NY. NY is the highest.