Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2014, 11:25 PM   #1

New Coach need advice on California route

I am picking up my first Motorhome in Medford Oregon next week. It's a 2002 Kountry Star DP. I will be driving the coach from Medford Oregon to Houston TX. Pretty big first trip but what the heck. I would appreciate some route advise for those familiar with the area. I would like to enjoy as much scenery as possible without taking on to difficult a route. Highway 1 through Big Sur would be nice but not sure if the winding routes would be to difficult for a newb or even an experienced Rv'er? I will eventually work my way to Phoenix and then on to Houston. I'm planning to do this over a 7 day period. Any advice is appreciated.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 05:38 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have recently planned a trip almost like what you are making for us to take later this year. My research told me you can make the highway 1 trip in a MH but be prepared for honking horns and angry people behind you as you can't corner a DP like a Maserati. Our route hugs the coast of Oregon on 101 south to Crescent City so we can see the sights in Oregon and then see the redwoods in California. A little further down the coast on 101 and we will jump over to go over to Yosemite National Park and the Donner pass to see where the pioneers wintered during that awful winter. Heading south from there to Pine City so we can go across Death Valley and from there across the south side of Phoenix and following interstate to Mission TX for the winter. All of this is from memory so look at the best highways for a MH. I use Good Sam trip planning and RV park reviews so I can research rv parks along the way. When I get all my stops planned and places I want to see I export the route to my Rand McNally GPS. Life is good sometimes. Travel safe.

Alan Wilson
Old 08-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I can't help you with the routing as I'm on the east coast. But welcome to the Newmar Family. Good luck on your trip and Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #4

hiway one in california is no place to learn how to drive your new rig.
i would suggest you go north to grants pass to 199 to crescent city
stay on 101 and enjoy the scenic and much more relaxing drive.
congrats on the mh
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #5

You can take Hwy 101 down into the Bay Area, but I wouldn't take the 1 south of Monterey at all in a big coach -- very few places to stop and it's pretty tight. If this is your first drive... probably not worth it.

Steve
Old 08-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #6

Yes, please don't take your new rig on Hwy 1 around Monterey, that would be a big mistake. You will be a little nervous with a new rig and this is not the road to take it on. And don't take it through Los Angeles traffic, UGH. Consider coming down the 101 to Ventura, take the 126 east over to I 5 south, in about 5 miles turn onto the 210 going east. It goes all the way across the top of Los Angeles area and drops you onto I 10 out around Banning. It's a relatively new and wide road, avoid it after 3 pm. OR as someone else suggested get on I 80 heading east, in Reno turn onto the 395 south (in Reno, now known as the 580). It's a nice drive, the 395 goes almost all the way to I 10, many rv parks along that way. We've been on all these roads many times since some grandkids are in So Cal and other ones are in No Cal. We pull a 19k 5'r and it's an easy go either on the 101/126/5/210 or 80/395/15/10. Good luck!
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #7

Sounds good. It will be the 101 and I'll stay off the 1 for sure. Should be interesting .
Old 08-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Sounds good. It will be the 101 and I'll stay off the 1 for sure. Should be interesting .
Stay on Hwy 1 after going over the Golden Gate...do not take Hwy 101 thru hilly downtown SF. You will enjoy the coastal ride thru Pacifica and Half Moon Bay. You can get back on Hwy 101 further south, before you get to the Monterey area.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #9

Carolina Campers
New Coach need advice on California route

Quote:
?...I will be driving the coach from Medford Oregon to Houston TX. ...I'm planning to do this over a 7 day period. Any advice is appreciated.

Medford, OR to Huston, TX is approximately 2,240 miles. Even if you average 500 miles per day, you are are going to take about 5 days or so to get there.

When you said you were planning to take 7 days, did you mean one way or both ways?

Is there a deadline for your arrival time?

Are you younger (30ish) or younger (70ish)?

Realistically, even if you meant 7 days to get to Huston, TX, you do not have enough time to consider a lot of scenic roads with delays, except to get there by the 7th day.

Count on it, because you may find road construction and/or accidents that could easily delay you by 24 hrs or more when traveling that distance. This is not like driving a car, and you will find that you need to provide more time. You really should consider not averaging more than 400 miles per day.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Medford, OR to Huston, TX is approximately 2,240 miles. Even if you average 500 miles per day, you are are going to take about 5 days or so to get there.

When you said you were planning to take 7 days, did you mean one way or both ways?

Is there a deadline for your arrival time?

Are you younger (30ish) or younger (70ish)?

Realistically, even if you meant 7 days to get to Huston, TX, you do not have enough time to consider a lot of scenic roads with delays, except to get there by the 7th day.

Count on it, because you may find road construction and/or accidents that could easily delay you by 24 hrs or more when traveling that distance. This is not like driving a car, and you will find that you need to provide more time. You really should consider not averaging more than 400 miles per day.

Ted
Hi Ted

One way Oregon to Houston. I'm 54 and recently retired airline pilot. My brother will be splitting driving duty with me. Not planning to stop for sights so much as wanted to come down 101 for a bit then power drive from West of Lax to Houston. Have a backup plan if need be to leave the coach in Phoenix for a week then fly back out to get it. Still fly free so have some flexibility.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:56 AM   #11

Noserider, I don't mean to pry but I would be interested to know where you would leave your MH in Phoenix. Our trip gets rather pressed for time but only because I had no place to leave it until I could return later that wouldn't get too cold.

Alan Wilson
Old 08-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #12

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Hi Ted

One way Oregon to Houston. I'm 54 and recently retired airline pilot. My brother will be splitting driving duty with me. Not planning to stop for sights so much as wanted to come down 101 for a bit then power drive from West of Lax to Houston. Have a backup plan if need be to leave the coach in Phoenix for a week then fly back out to get it. Still fly free so have some flexibility.

Cool! Nice plan then.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
Noserider, I don't mean to pry but I would be interested to know where you would leave your MH in Phoenix. Our trip gets rather pressed for time but only because I had no place to leave it until I could return later that wouldn't get too cold.

Alan Wilson
Hi Alan

Not prying at all. Have a good friend there that's a Southwest Pilot. He lives on a private airport and has a rv hookup at house so I can leave it there as needed. Wish I had more time as stopping there and flying planes for a few days would be great. Maybe on the return if I leave it there. I have often wondered where I could leave the coach in other cities and wondered what others have done. Btw saw the coach today and loved it. Putting new rubber on in the morning and it will be mine. Very happy with the purchase. Great owner that bought it new and garage kept with all records.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:39 AM   #14

Awesome! Sounds great!
Lol! I was hoping you were going to tell me you had this great storage place you could keep it inside. DW and I may stop in that area and fly home if I am sick of traveling by then. We have some things we have to be home for so I was needing a place that doesn't freeze so I don't have to winterize it. Plan is to get to Mission, TX to leave it but I like to have backup plans.

It sounds like you really picked up a gem to travel in. I I didn't have all the records on mine when I got it but had information on it second hand and had mine looked over really well. It has turned out to be a very good unit as well. I have found there are always improvements to make and aftermarket parts to buy. Enjoy your travels whether you fly or drive. BTW, in your situation I think you will find flying is much cheaper! Lol!

Alan Wilson

Tags
california, advice