Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 10:04 AM   #1

Smile New England Fall Trip

I am taking a trip this fall to view the colors in the New England states (Leaf Peeping), planning on a 5 - 6-week trip, probably leaving Colorado mid-September. We don’t have a set schedule. Seeking input from people who know about traveling that area. I live in Colorado, will be traveling in a 36ft class A motorhome with a toad. First question, I have two toads, a light weight sedan and a ¾ ton flatbed. On the flatbed, I can carry a side by side to travel trails. In your opinion would be worth the extra weight, fuel consumption, expense, hassle, etc. to bring the side by side? I would not be looking to use the side by side for the off-road adventure, just for getting access to trails that provide better viewing of the fall colors. We are not very good hikers.

My intent is travel to Niagara Falls, and spend some time. From there I want to go the North end of Champlain Lake and take the route down the islands. Is that a dumb idea for the vehicle I will be traveling? Everything I read says route 100 in Vermont is a good area to view fall colors. I believe I would like to see Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, but I am not interested in fighting crowds that are so bad I can’t find a place to park. Will the crowds be as bad then as I am reading about this summer? I am looking for suggestions of places you consider to be a “must see” and “must avoid”. I do want to experience some of the ocean/coast experiences as we don’t have that in Colorado. I am not fond of staying in commercial camp grounds, so I have joined both Harvest Host and BoonDockers’ welcome. Suggestions for places to stay other than commercial campground will be appreciated.

Living in Colorado nearly my entire live, I feel comfortable driving mountain roads in the motorhome, but toll roads and low clearance bridges will be a new experience. Again, suggestions will be appreciated. I am considering getting the RV Trip Wizard/RV Life app. Is that worthwhile in your opinion? I also plan on getting EZ Pass. Is that a good idea? Typically, in Colorado I avoid toll roads, but don’t know if that is possible where I will be traveling on this trip.

Sorry for the long post, but seeking input on a variety of subjects.

Byron
letsride4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride4 View Post
I am taking a trip this fall to view the colors in the New England states (Leaf Peeping), planning on a 5 - 6-week trip, probably leaving Colorado mid-September. We don’t have a set schedule. Seeking input from people who know about traveling that area. I live in Colorado, will be traveling in a 36ft class A motorhome with a toad. First question, I have two toads, a light weight sedan and a ¾ ton flatbed.

I would leave the truck - for leaf peeping thst are many roadside areas and easy walks to view and photograph all the fall colors you could ever want it see.

On the flatbed, I can carry a side by side to travel trails. In your opinion would be worth the extra weight, fuel consumption, expense, hassle, etc. to bring the side by side? I would not be looking to use the side by side for the off-road adventure, just for getting access to trails that provide better viewing of the fall colors. We are not very good hikers.

My intent is travel to Niagara Falls, and spend some time. From there I want to go the North end of Champlain Lake and take the route down the islands. Is that a dumb idea for the vehicle I will be traveling? Everything I read says route 100 in Vermont is a good area to view fall colors. I believe I would like to see Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, but I am not interested in fighting crowds

Bar Harbor is going to be crowded no matter what. It’s a tourist town. It was crowded in June. I drove right down town on the main drag and it was TIGHT. There are many small towns before and after Bar Harbor that are as nice or nicer, and not tourist meccas.

Acadia was also jam packed, so much so that I cancelled my reservation there and kept going - just depends on what you really want to see, but we had a glorious Maine experience (3 weeks) without Acadia.

that are so bad I can’t find a place to park. Will the crowds be as bad then as I am reading about this summer? I am looking for suggestions of places you consider to be a “must see” and “must avoid”. I do want to experience some of the ocean/coast experiences as we don’t have that in Colorado. I am not fond of staying in commercial camp grounds, so I have joined both Harvest Host and BoonDockers’ welcomeSuggestions for places to stay other than commercial campground will be appreciated.

[COLOR="navy"]There is one HH location that I found and it’s a sheep harvesting farm. So if you like mutton... There are lots of private CGs and the state parks are nice.
[COLOR="Navy"]
Living in Colorado nearly my entire live, I feel comfortable driving mountain roads in the motorhome, but toll roads and low clearance bridges will be a new experience. Again, suggestions will be appreciated. I am considering getting the RV Trip Wizard/RV Life app. Is that worthwhile in your opinion? I also plan on getting EZ Pass. Is that a good idea? Typically, in Colorado I avoid toll roads, but don’t know if that is possible where I will be traveling on this trip.
EZ Pass is a good idea, but for the most part I avoided toll roads by taking smaller highways which were more scenic and interesting anyway
Sorry for the long post, but seeking input on a variety of subjects.

Byron
Your route sounds more northern than mine, but I took Hwy 1 all along the coast and ran down about half the peninsulas (Down East) visiting small towns and staying in private CGs by the water. I made my reservations about 1-2 days in advance as I figured out about where I would be. We then followed the New Brunswick border all the way up and around “The Hat” stopping at the city CG in Ft Kent, then headed South and west camping in lakes and rivers. Much less tourist activity in central Maine and beautiful.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:09 PM   #3

Realize most parks and campgrounds in New England close Columbus Day (October 11 this year). Many close earlier, particularly in Maine.

Verify the parks you want to stay in are open and book a reservation NOW. You are competing with many, many more RVers than normal this year, and that time of year was already congested.

Also, peak leaf season varies, but in central VT it's usually the beginning of October from our stays there. We have gone from green trees Oct 1 to no leaves Oct 15.

Regarding the side by side - research where you can legally ride and how the vehicle registration must be displayed. Controls on such are tight in the NE and you may just want to leave it (and the heavy toad) at home.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Be aware that most Leaf-Peeking time and campgrounds were booked months ago. I would not have a lot of hope finding much available. We got caught up in this in the Smokies 3 years ago. We found a site at a less then desirable park outside of Knoxville, TN.

Ken
Old 07-30-2021, 04:59 PM   #5

We spent 3 months traveling from Upstate NY down to Georgia falling the changing of colors
CGs started closing in Late Sept.....

We traveled secondary roads and LOTS of places to stop/view/photo along the trip
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote