Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #43

mounting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I use the suction cup base attached to a beanbag ring that has plastic in the middle for the suction cup to adhere to.
Where did you find the beanbag mount that will work with the suction cup?

I was thinking of using the screw down mount to a piece of wood or plastic and putting velcro on the bottom of that since my dash cover is basically carpet. Do you think that would work?

Thanks!
waynerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2021, 05:55 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynerth View Post
Where did you find the beanbag mount that will work with the suction cup?

I was thinking of using the screw down mount to a piece of wood or plastic and putting velcro on the bottom of that since my dash cover is basically carpet. Do you think that would work?

Thanks!
Better yet, goto homedepot buy $10 of magnets, glue to your base. Then use that to stick to your dash. Big parts of the dash are metal under the plastic...

Or you can always glue a piece of metal under the dash plastic...

Works great! Looks good too...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:57 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
You are welcome.

Garmin maintains a very good expert and customer forum. All this and more has been discussed on the forum. I don't think there is a summary like I posted, but at one time or another it has been covered.

It is possible the big rig routing issue is due to truck route ordinances. Semi's are required to stay on truck routes. They may use local roads only if the destination is located on a local road. They must take the shortest route from the truck route to the local destination.

This info is second hand, obtained from a trucker many years ago.
Is the garmin supposed to tell you the height of upcoming bridges? I just bought the 780 and the pictures in the ads seem to show this, but in real life it doesn’t...
Old 04-19-2021, 06:16 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Is the Garmin supposed to tell you the height of upcoming bridges? I just bought the 780 and the pictures in the ads seem to show this, but in real life it doesn’t...
My 780 has a database of all of the US roads, it has weight, height, width and I'm sure more parameters. They come into play when your route takes you through a situation and reroutes you around it. Realize all of this data has to be updated regularly for it to be accurate and timely.

Twice my 780 has rerouted me around something that was outside of the information I gave it when I initially set it up.

Both times I was in Louisiana and both times it was inaccurate. This isn't Garmin's fault, it's Louisiana's fault for not updating their data.

Take a look at http://www.alstays.com
it has bridge heights for I think everything. I think they have an Apple app too.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:42 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
God's would be light years ahead of were they are now if it was not for the smart phones. Most of the gps usage share is free smart phones.

The stupid directions by my gps in the early 2000's. Going down a cow path for 8 miles to save 1000 yards. The current gps still do. If you dont check with maps every so often you are going to find yourself taking some stupid route.

My rv garmin just did it again. I was in to big of rush to double check with paper maps. My last 3 miles of my trip had me going down a cow path with hair pin turns, when there was a nice route the was about 1/2 mile longer.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:54 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
My 780 has a database of all of the US roads, it has weight, height, width and I'm sure more parameters. They come into play when your route takes you through a situation and reroutes you around it. Realize all of this data has to be updated regularly for it to be accurate and timely.

Twice my 780 has rerouted me around something that was outside of the information I gave it when I initially set it up.

Both times I was in Louisiana and both times it was inaccurate. This isn't Garmin's fault, it's Louisiana's fault for not updating their data.

Take a look at http://www.alstays.com
it has bridge heights for I think everything. I think they have an Apple app too.
Don't see any bridge heights on alstays.com... looks like pure advertising?
Old 04-19-2021, 07:04 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's the bean bag mount for the Garmin. We use something similar in all three of our vehicles and it works great.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bestand-G...ries/358267683
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:23 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Don't see any bridge heights on alstays.com... looks like pure advertising?

I'm going to guess you haven't signed up nor logged in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (6).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	325535  
Old 04-19-2021, 07:32 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Here's the bean bag mount for the Garmin. We use something similar in all three of our vehicles and it works great.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bestand-G...ries/358267683

I would double check that, the 890 uses a much bigger ball mount than my old 660RV.
The unit with its magnetic mount is quite front heavy.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7450.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	325536
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7451.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	325537
Old 04-19-2021, 08:00 AM   #52

Quote:
I'm going to guess you haven't signed up nor logged in.
I clicked on "alstays.com" as you listed...

I think you meant "allstays.com." That site works
Old 04-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #53
NXR

Quote:
My RV 785 (a 780 with a dashcam) absolutely refused to allow me to take the directions that the FMCA Campground told me to use. No matter what I did, it absolutely refused to use the exit. When I took it anyway, figuring the FMCA knew better than Garmin, it tried to make me take almost every left or right turn I came to. I drove on.

Then it threw up a warning about a weight-limited road, well under my coach's weight. It turned out that weight-limited road crossed the one I was on but was not on my path. The Garmin must have thought the intersection was the problem.

Yeah, if an entire road is weight-restricted and not just a bridge, how should the map designers handle that intersection? I dunno.

Ray
Old 04-20-2021, 10:54 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
My RV 785 (a 780 with a dashcam) absolutely refused to allow me to take the directions that the FMCA Campground told me to use. No matter what I did, it absolutely refused to use the exit. When I took it anyway, figuring the FMCA knew better than Garmin, it tried to make me take almost every left or right turn I came to. I drove on.

Then it threw up a warning about a weight-limited road, well under my coach's weight. It turned out that weight-limited road crossed the one I was on but was not on my path. The Garmin must have thought the intersection was the problem.

Yeah, if an entire road is weight-restricted and not just a bridge, how should the map designers handle that intersection? I dunno.

Ray

Garmin fooled me a few years ago on approach to FMCA Campground, traveling west on 32. Garmin routed us north on I275 to the next exit and then south on a curvy road along the river. A few miles out of the way and a harder road for the coach (driver) to handle. We have been back, but now just stay on 32 with no problems.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 04-20-2021, 09:28 PM   #55

We just had a frustrating experience with our RV 890. But....it really was my fault.

We’re driving along in upper state NY and the garmen said to go straight but google said to turn. Well I’m new to the garmin and sort of trust google more so I took the left.

What I FAILED to see was a yellow triangle sign that had 9’0” on it.

So I kept going and the entire time the garmin kept rerouting us to turn around but I thought it would finally figure out what we we’re doing.

Finally we get about 500 feet from the 9 foot tunnel and THEN it gave us the alert!

Shouldn’t it had given us the alert as soon as we turned onto that road? (Yes I programmed our RVs specs into it)

Seems like a serious flaw.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:25 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
We just had a frustrating experience with our RV 890. But....it really was my fault.

We’re driving along in upper state NY and the garmen said to go straight but google said to turn. Well I’m new to the garmin and sort of trust google more so I took the left.

What I FAILED to see was a yellow triangle sign that had 9’0” on it.

So I kept going and the entire time the garmin kept rerouting us to turn around but I thought it would finally figure out what we we’re doing.

Finally we get about 500 feet from the 9 foot tunnel and THEN it gave us the alert!

Shouldn’t it had given us the alert as soon as we turned onto that road? (Yes I programmed our RVs specs into it)

Seems like a serious flaw.

Sounds to me like it did and you repeatedly ignored them.

The big difference is Google thinks you're in a car, Garmin knows you're in a RV.