Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
New MH coming home - Ft. Myers to Cleveland

We are picking up our brand new MH from our dealer in Ft. Myers in late March. We will be coming home with toad attached. Would greatly appreciate suggestions for routing from Ft. Myers to Cleveland with at least three (3) overnight campground recommendations.

For us, this is about the journey, not just getting to the destination, so put on your thinking cap with your very best adventure recommendations.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Forum mates!

Deek and JoJo
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #2

Deek & JoJo, Congrats on your new MH.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Deek & JoJo! I just wanted to say congrats on the new rig! Woo hoo!!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, John and Sarah. As "Senior Members", surely you can help mere "Members" of our Forum with route and CG suggestions!

How are we to learn and become Senior Members like you otherwise??!!

Any thoughts you might have we'd be grateful for.

Thanks again! We haven't even started yet and we're still having a ball planning for our big day!!!!
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #5

I wish I could give you some reccomendations on CG's,but just haven't hit that many on that trail. You might want to get a campground book and check them along your planned route, and then you can research them online to see if they meet your requirements. You could get one of those books at Camping World or online...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Deek,
Congrats on the new coach. I'm going to test what you mentioned in the OP about the journey being the more important item. There are hundreds of places I could recommend. Each has their own unique things to see. However, I'm only going to recommend a few so you will actually make it to Cleveland in your lifetime. My assumption is you have a class "A" coach. Consider I 75 North:

1. Exit 309. Take route 44 West to the Crystal River/Homosassa area. Stay at the Homosassa Carefree Resort. Go to Homosassa River RV Resort, Florida Rv Parks
However, the reason to invite you to this area are two places to eat. The most important is Neon Leon's. Go to Neon Leon's Zydeco Steakhouse and read about it. Reservations are a must. Leon Wilkerson was the base guitarist for The Lynyrd Skynyrd band. The restaurant and the CG are about 1/2 mile apart. Great food and if you are there on Wed or Fri - Sun there is live music. When you call for a reservation, ask what music is playing on which night. The next place to eat is Dan's Clam Stand at 2315 N Sunshine Path Crystal River 352-795-9081. They do not take credit cards. Good seafood. However, this place has the absolute best Key Lime pie on the planet. Now when you drive up, you'll ask yourself what you've gotten yourself into. Trust me, this is a good place to eat.

2. Continue on I 75 North to Atlanta. Take the beltway (I 285) to the East (counter clockwise). Your goal is Stone Mountain. Stay at The Stone Mountain Park And Campground. If you have SAT TV, ask for a site in the circle that is next to the office. Mention you need SAT TV. This is a Passport America park (first night only). The attraction is Stone Mountain Park. Originally it was a memorial to the Confederacy. Ask if the lazer light show will be held when you are there.

3. North on I 75 to Knoxville, TN. Leave I 75 and take I 40 East to exit 407. You're goal is Hidden Mountain Resort. Go to Smoky Mountain CabinsThe Dell RV Resort | The Resort There are two places one must eat at. The first is The Tin Roof Café. You passed it on the way to the Resort. It is about 1/2 mile before the resort on Apple Valley Road. Go to The Tin Roof Cafe The owner or her gourmet chef make everything themselves. Open for lunch only, 11 AM to 4 PM. The "lunch" will be outstanding and very filling. The next place is the Apple Barn Restaurant. Again you passed it on the way to the Resort. Go to The AppleBarn Cider Mill & General Store, Inc. For me the food is a glorified Cracker Barrel. However, if you visit the area and don't eat at the Apple Barn, people will look at you a little different. The resort is located within a mile of almost all the shows. Smokey Mountain Opry is the best. The resort is about a mile behind the Opry.

4. Go back to I 40 and take I 81 North and I 77 North. Your goal is Beckley, West Virginia. The sight to see is Tamarack, The Best Of West Virginia. It is where artisans from West VA display and sell their wares. It is very upscale and high quality. There are several CGs in the area. I can tell you where not to stay. Do not stay at Beckley Mine Exhibition Mine CG. For a coach of any size it is not friendly. It is down right hostile.

What has all this accomplished. You may not be a better person, but you will be a larger one! The wife will have had a chance to buy enough unique items to fill the basement of your new coach.

From Beckley you can head North on I 77 up to the Cleveland area. By the time you get to Cleveland you'll have given your baby a good workout, you'll still be full from all the local food and the wife will be smiling because of all the local shops you took here to.

Good luck and many happy miles.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Deek,
In addition to my previous post, if you do stop at #3 (Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg area) there is another really local place to have a good dinner and hear a live local band. The name of the place is Clint's. Go to Barbecue Restaurant Sevierville TN - Clint's BBQ & Country Cookin to read about it. When you call them, ask which nights the live band is playing and try to make your dinner one of those nights.

While they can give you directions, basically, from Hidden Mountain Resort:
1. turn Right and return to the Parkway (traffic light)
2. Turn left and go straight into Sevierville
3. Turn right on Main Street (Route 411).
4. Go 6.1 miles and the restaurant will be on your left.

Guaranteed good food and good time. I post this because the wife whacked me across the head for not including Clint's in my previous post. In order of importance my preference is:
1. The Tin Roof Café
2. Clint's
3. Apple Barn
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
... Go back to I 40 and take I 81 North and I 77 North. Your goal is Beckley, West Virginia. The sight to see is Tamarack, The Best Of West Virginia. It is where artisans from West VA display and sell their wares. It is very upscale and high quality. There are several CGs in the area. I can tell you where not to stay. Do not stay at Beckley Mine Exhibition Mine CG. For a coach of any size it is not friendly. It is down right hostile.
If I might add...Tamarack does have RV parking towards the back left side of the main entrance. Look for the RV Parking signs. We've boondocked overnight there. Since most WV CG's are still closed in March, you might have to utilize their RV lot. When coming off I-77/I-64 stay on the upper level road that takes you to the Tamarack - the lower level road takes you to the truck stop area - very busy & noisy.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I am a bit late in responding -- due to a week hiatus in San Jose del Cabo, which we just got back from late last night (just in time for more snow and blowing here across Lake Erie from Canada).

But ... I want to thank everyone, special kudos Gary and kick-him-in-the-shins wife, for the outstanding recommendations.

We are still planning, thinking, planning, thinking ... isn't that half the fun of this anyhow?

But it is really great to get such good advice as we keep our nights filled with our planning till that magic day when we pick up the MoHo in Ft. Myers at the end of March.

Thanks again.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!