Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2021, 07:04 AM   #1

New way from Phoenix to San Diego.

I’m getting kind of tired of the same old routes from Phoenix to San Diego every summer. I have heard about a route called the Palms to Pines Byway - Highway 74 to 371 to 79. that runs from the Palm Springs area to Temecula. Has any one ever taken this route and what would it be like to pull a trailer this way in the middle of summer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2021, 07:20 AM   #2

Do you remember the movie "The Long Long Trailer" with Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball? It would be like climbing the road from that movie on hwy 74.

The sketchiest part would be up hwy 74 from Palm Desert. There are a lot of switch-backs so it will depend on how long your trailer is. You will not make any friends that are behind you.

Otherwise, I don't recall any other problems once you climb hwy 74.

Good luck.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:41 AM   #3

I've been up it many times, it does have a lot of switch backs, but it's doable.
If you just looking for a different path, take the 10 to the 86, once in Salton city, take the 22 to Borrego springs. Then take via Montezuma up to ranchita, from there you go through julian and take the 79 down to the 8, or me personally, I go into Santa ysabel and take the 78 into Ramona, then the 67 down into East County San Diego. It's a nice drive and there are good food stops along the way. In Borrego there is kendalls cafe, and Santa ysabel there is julian pie company and dudley's bread.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure what you're pulling, but I would never do it with our coach, but I've done it many times with my pick up towing a 20' utility trailer headed to san diego.

mostly 2 lane. Tight switch backs, no shoulder in many areas. A few pull outs to allow cars to pass you.

Going that way doesn't save much time (especially towing a trailer) vs taking the 10 west to the 60 then south on the 215 to temecula.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:22 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. I can’t stand to have cars backed up behind me so I guess I will stick to the more normal freeway routes. Maybe I will try going from Phoenix to San Diego on 8. But that means going all the way up to Oceanside in crazy traffic. Any suggestions on overnight stops between Yuma and SD. Somewhere after you get out of the desert.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
How do you normally go?

Where in San Diego are you headed? You mention Oceanside.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote