Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2021, 09:51 AM   #1

Newbie route from Detroit,MI to Charlotte, NC

Hello all

We're heading south in a few weeks with our (relatively) new class A gasser and toad. We've done a few trips around MI, OH, PA & NY over the summer, but it's all pretty flat. So, we're a bit nervous about the hills as we head south. This will also be our first trip flat-towing (supplemental braking system is being installed this week).

I know the "recommended" route is I-77, but we're looking for other options until we build up our confidence. From what I have read on the forums, it seems the worst of the I-77 route is between Charleston, WV and Mt Airy, NC so, if that's right, we're hoping to avoid that section.

Looking at a map, seems like taking I-75 south to Knoxville and then I-40/I-81 to meet I-77 in Wytheville might be a decent option, but not sure what the route is like from Wytheville south and if the time to back track is worthwhile.

We're also looking at taking I-40 direct from I-75 to I-77, but the section of I-40 from Cosby to Canton looks pretty daunting (at least on a map).

So, would really appreciate any advice on how to navigate/circumvent those hills as we head south - given our newness

Thanks in advance!
kgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You wont have any trouble around Charleston. It's a little windy and twisty but I did it many times in the big truck. It's still the best way

I've chased some of those side roads along the river doing deliveries and if you are concerned about the interstate, wait until you meet a big truck on some of those mountain roads.

You do not want to go down I75 and back across 40. The road looks straight on a map but it is not. Runs through some canyons on very narrow roads for interstate.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:20 PM   #3
NXR

We live south of Cleveland, OH. Having driven I-77 south in a car we now always take I-75 instead when driving the motorhome to avoid the hills and curves. The only hilly part is Jellico Mountain just as you come into TN and it's pretty much a non-event. We just park ourselves in the right lane, use Tow/Haul mode for engine braking on the way down and it's a nice drive.

We've taken I-40 east a ways but not all the way you're going.

Quote:
You do not want to go down I75 and back across 40. The road looks straight on a map but it is not. Runs through some canyons on very narrow roads for interstate.
I do not know where this is or even how it could be since interstates are supposed to be 12' lane widths, although we've seen 11' inside a few metro areas like Atlanta.

Ray
Old 10-13-2021, 08:08 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
I have taken all the routes mentioned. All are pretty easy, just maybe more curvy on some than others but all are still a good choice. Take then one you think will show you more of what you are looking for on a drive.

Also I use google street view a lot to ensure portions of roads are something I feel comfortable driving.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #5

Here's something with great details: https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Dire.../dp/0964680572

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgates View Post
Hello all

We're heading south in a few weeks with our (relatively) new class A gasser and toad. We've done a few trips around MI, OH, PA & NY over the summer, but it's all pretty flat. So, we're a bit nervous about the hills as we head south. This will also be our first trip flat-towing (supplemental braking system is being installed this week).

I know the "recommended" route is I-77, but we're looking for other options until we build up our confidence. From what I have read on the forums, it seems the worst of the I-77 route is between Charleston, WV and Mt Airy, NC so, if that's right, we're hoping to avoid that section.

Looking at a map, seems like taking I-75 south to Knoxville and then I-40/I-81 to meet I-77 in Wytheville might be a decent option, but not sure what the route is like from Wytheville south and if the time to back track is worthwhile.

We're also looking at taking I-40 direct from I-75 to I-77, but the section of I-40 from Cosby to Canton looks pretty daunting (at least on a map).

So, would really appreciate any advice on how to navigate/circumvent those hills as we head south - given our newness

Thanks in advance!
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:03 PM   #6

Thanks George!

I'll check that out, but the markup on Amazon is way too much for me. I ordered it from the publisher. $300 for a $15 book seems excessive.....
Old 10-13-2021, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgates View Post
Thanks George!

I'll check that out, but the markup on Amazon is way too much for me. I ordered it from the publisher. $300 for a $15 book seems excessive.....
Looks to me like somebody must have made a mistake there!
Old 01-03-2022, 03:40 PM   #8

Trip Complete

Sorry it's been a bit and things have been busy for the holidays, but I just wanted to close this out in case anyone was interested in this info in the future.

We ended up taking I-75 South to I-40 which we took East to 321 South to finish up outside of Charlotte. That seemed the best route from the mountain directory that George recommended - basically two steep grades to contend with. Jellico and outside of Asheville.

We made the trip in early November and had good weather except for the southward approach to Jellico - it was overcast, drizzling and the sun was setting. For a first timer, nit the best of conditions. A little nerve-wracking, but I kept my eyes open with everyone in the RV alert and let the cruise control handle the speed (40-50) - for the most part. I admit I git nervous and tapped the brakes a few times, but once I got comfortable with the speed control handling it, I let it do it's job.

That was the worst of it. The trip through the pass on I-40 outside of Asheville was a steep drop, but no challenges at all. Same story on the trip north home.

If it hadn't been our first time going through the hills in an RV (and with a toad to boot) and it hadn't been dark, I'd say the whole thing was uneventful.

Thanks for all the tips and advice!

Tags
newbie, route