Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #1

NEWBIE Trip planning East Coast USA

Trying to plan our first year of fulltiming. Having trouble deciding how many days to stay at each place, specifically the Outer Banks and the east coast of Virginia. How many days would you plan to stay there? Most places I'm planning a 3 or 4 day stay. For Williamsburg I booked a week, and PA Dutch country, a week. I'm finding it hard to plan.. and I'm afraid if I DON'T plan & set reservations, we'll be stuck with nowhere to stay... Any advice?? TIA!!
chattysusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #2

My wife and I are new to this lifestyle, so ot sure how great my advice will be to you. However, from my limited experience, I have found it better to just plan general itineraries. As a general rule, during my travels, my wife will see something in route that she has to spend some time at. That also happens to me. I would suggest you find multiple camping sites at your destinations, and stay until you are ready to move on.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I seldom make reservations unless I know I need to be at a specific place at a specific time. Prior to making any reservation I investigate what attractions, events and such are available and taking place within a radius of 100-150 miles. Once knowing that, I can plan adventures to experience enroute/along the way and decide on what I am going to see and experience once parked and can estimate the number of days I plan to stay in on spot and travel about in my toad or on my Harley.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Chatty
I don't know how far you are planning to go. However, some suggestion from me, in addition to the places you've already mentioned, I would suggest Lake George NY in the heart of the Adirondacks. Mt Washington Nat'l forest in upstate NH. Coastal Maine is gorgeous from Boothbay to Bar Harbor and Acadia Nat'l Park.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #5

We made that east coast trip from CA in 2011. I would recommend that you plan 5 days for the Outer Banks, it's a long strip of land with one highway going north & south. It's a drive going anywhere but I would recommend it, we went everywhere from Kitty Hawk to the Maritime Museum on the south end. There's even a ferry to take your car to Roanoke Island (?). You need reservations out there, we stayed at Sands of Time rv park, not as popular as some of the other parks but a great base to go either north or south. As we made our way up the coast from FL we tried to visit every fort that was built during the civil war and before and they were all different and interesting. We traveled inland through NC then north through PA and NY to Niagra Falls. Great trip! We have to go back to travel the New England part, not enough time or $$$
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi chattysusie,
The length of stay depends entirely on what you like to do. For me, 2 days in the Williamsburg area is all I can take. The same for the Outer Banks. Amish country 5 days should be plenty. Gettysburg is 5 days. Now get me to the Smoky or Rocky Mountains where one can hike the trails and the stay turns into weeks.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags