Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #1

Newbies looking for Route Advice: Central FL to Yellowstone National Park

My husband and I are RV-Newbies. We just purchased our Travel Trailer last year. We've camped in Florida...but not out of state just yet.

In a fit of what may be either madness or genius --We have taken summer jobs in Yellowstone National Park starting in early May...and are therefore planning our first MAJOR trip across the country

We have allotted 15-17 days (basically the second half of the month of April)to make the trip to Yellowstone and arrive the first weekend of May. We would like to make a nice trip with a few scenic stops along the way-- without traveling at a break-neck pace. Also being newbies -- we are concerned about roads (steep roads, windy, grades, bridges, etc). This is enough of an adventure w/ out having to worry about white-knuckles We are looking for an "easy" route for this first big trip...

Would welcome any route suggestions from Central FL to Yellowstone in Late April. We were thinking either the south or west entrance to YNP (even though I've seen some info that the West entrance is more mountainous).

Would love to hear suggestions -- and any tips or advice.
Thanks in advance
ready2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #2

Congratulations on your summer job. Yes, you've really jumped into it!

Mid-April, probably either the south or west entrance would work. Hwy 89 through Jackson for the south and 89 to 26 to Idaho Falls and north on 20 to West Yellowstone entrance.

That said, we did get caught in a bad snowstorm mid-May near Pocatello one year. So anything goes for that whole area.

There are many Yellowstone workers and I believe there's a great site where folks post although I don't have a link. Hope you can find it and get advise from other workers who come in that early.

As far as siteseeing on your way to work, hook up to I-10 or I-40 in Arizona and make a stop at Grand Canyon then up to southern Utah. The national parks are awesome. Again, keep a close watch on weather. We again encountered I-40 closed around Albuquerque, NM closed the end of April because of a snowstorm. It re-opened in a day but just be prepared.

Have fun with your summer job. It's quite an experience to actually 'live' in a national park and especially to be there before the hoard of tourists arrive. We've loved our experiences!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #3

Thanks so much for the suggestions and information. I am hoping we've not bitten off more that we can chew

I think I may be favoring a route though the south ( Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas...etc) because of the unpredictability of the weather that early in the season farther north. Then heading north from there...to help minimize on setbacks.

Is 89 through Jackson and the Tetons a nice road for traveling? I know that weather can be sketchy...but I don't want to add a sketchy road to that mix if I can avoid it

I'll search for the site you recommended too.
Thanks again
Old 03-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #4

89 from Jackson into Yellowstone is very good - IF the weather is good.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I've been leading a pack of University Vans to Yellowstone for over 20 years. If you get north to I-90, you can't beat stops in the Badlands, Wall Drug, Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower on the way to Livingston, MT and the North Entrance at Gardiner MT. The road to Mammoth (YNP headquarters) is kept open year round. East Entrance is scheduled to open May 2 (Cody, WY) and the South Entrance May 9. (Tetons and Jackson Hole) The only roads I suggest you avoid because of passes and steep grades are the NE entrance from Cooke City and Teton Pass between Jackson and Idaho Falls, ID. Teton Pass is 10% grade both ways and tough in an RV.

Another route is I-80 west. At Ogallala, NE get off the interstate and follow US 26 west, the historic Oregon and Mormon Trails. Stop in at Scottsbluff National Memorial. Go on and visit Fort Laramie for the Trails story. US 26 joins to I-25 to Casper. Continue on US 26. You can go to Riverton, Wind River Canyon, and Dubois, over the Togwatee Pass (Its been tamed in recent years) to Grand Teton NP and YNP South Entrance (after May 9) OR turn north off US 26 at Boysen State Park and north on US 20 to Thermopolis and the Wyoming Dinosaur Museum, then to Cody. Great Buffalo Bill Museum there and you can get in YNP May 2. (East Entrance)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #6

Thank you very much! All this information is very helpful!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #7

Google maps show that northern route to be about 2400 mikes. But you would have to go thru or bypass Atlanta which is a nightmare. Southern route that you prefer, shows about 2550 miles, but weather would be expected to be nicer. Consider the southern route going, and the northern route returning. If you do the 300/3pm routine, i.e. drive 300 miles, or stop by 3:00 PM, whichever comes first, you would need 8 days of driving time. That gives enough time to plan stops along the way. There are so many places to visit, the "loop" will generate memories that you will hold dear for a long, long time. HAVE FUN>>>
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #8

I think if you take a route that goes up the Mississippi River Valley, Missouri River Valley, and the North Platte river valley you will minimize hill climbs ... You will be gaining about 8000 ft elevation as you travel from FL to YNP but it will be constant and gradual ... there will be a good pull heading west from Cody through the East Entrance .... there is about 5 miles of 6% grade there ...

This is not the most scenic route but it is probably the easiest in terms of climbing ...

So my suggestion would be I-10, I-55, I-70, I-29,I-80, US-26, US-20, WY 120, US 14

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We took this same trip in summer of 2013! Had a great time. We did spend a lot of time in Col Spgs due to kids/grankids. Our suggestion is a wonderful KOA in Dubois, WY…just outside of Jackson/Grand Teton area. We happened to stop there for 2 nights…stayed 11! What a wonderful little town with great cafe (Cowboy cafe) and old general store and a Big Horn Sheep Museum. Its a little place with very friendly people. The KOA owners are wonderful and full of info on the area. We would not recommend staying in Jackson Hole, but we did take a drive there…verrrry touristy!!! And expensive. If you end up going that way and visiting Dubois, see if you can get a site on the river…so peaceful. BTW..it's pronounced Dew Boys…not the French version…but the cowboy version. Every morning I walked the labs from the KOA to the local park and every morning saw deer walking down the middle of main street…just like a picture off a post card!
Keep an eye on the weather in that area…we had hot, cold, wind, rain and hail in the 11 nights we were there. Don't forget your rain gear.
If you go HWY 25 from N Mexico thru Colorado, beware of Raton Pass as it is steep…going thru the pass last year was the first time I had seen a bear in the wild…awesome! First time we went thru Raton Pass, we towed a 27' Airstream…just got in the right lane and went slow and used our gears.
You're going to have a wonderful experience…Yellowstone is breathtaking.
Safe travels.
Andi
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a great plan. There will be many places to visit on the way out and back. Once you decide your route Google places of interest in areas along the way. Be careful and have access to weather reports along your route. Have fun.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:11 AM   #11

Thank you all so much for the posts! This information is incredibly helpful.

I really like the route through the river valleys. May not be as glamorous some others... But for a pair of newbie-flatlanders it may be just the way to take the first trip out. I'm sure we can find great places to visit along the way.

It looks like we may need to change our entrance to the East entrance... Due to timing -- we need to be in the park the first weekend of May to start work on May 6 ... So it's looking like the East entrance will be the most practical.

Bflinn18-- thanks for posting the entrance opening dates!!! And the sights to see along the I-80 route to 26 through thermopolis and Cody

Thanks again to everyone!!! Every post has such helpful info!
Old 03-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #12

Keep us posted. Let us know how everything went for you.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #13

We certainly will. I'm sure I will be posting to ask more questions as we develop the route... This information is great.

I'm finding the the RV community both online and on the road are such great folks that are willing to share experiences, encouragement and information.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
readytowander I have made RVcruzer Large rigs entrance to Yellowstone one of my favorites He covers in depth all the entrances and the hazards
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, national, newbie, newbies