Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2007, 12:52 AM   #1

After traveling West of the Mississippi for years, now we are taking some of our grandchildren to Niagra Falls before school resumes. I've read as much as possible, but nothing beats personal experiences. I understand the best place to stay is on the Canadian side of the falls, but where? Our 5er may not fit the smaller campgrounds and RV parks.
Please offer some suggestions for what to do, and in what order, to maximize this experience for the grandchildren. (boy 12, and girl 14)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:52 AM   #2

After traveling West of the Mississippi for years, now we are taking some of our grandchildren to Niagra Falls before school resumes. I've read as much as possible, but nothing beats personal experiences. I understand the best place to stay is on the Canadian side of the falls, but where? Our 5er may not fit the smaller campgrounds and RV parks.
Please offer some suggestions for what to do, and in what order, to maximize this experience for the grandchildren. (boy 12, and girl 14)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 06-29-2007, 04:04 AM   #3

Niagra Falls!!!

Slowly I turned ... step by step ... inch by inch ..."

Sorry, once a Stooges fan...

"SLOWLY I TURNED": A PIECE OF AMERICA'S POP CULTURE

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
Please offer some suggestions for what to do, and in what order, to maximize this experience for the grandchildren. (boy 12, and girl 14) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:06 AM   #4

check out this web site rving in Canada
pick Ontario and then the campgrounds. Have never camped near niagara Falls, but there are a few nice ones. make sure you take the kids on maid of the Mist..super..There is a nice CG to the east of Niagara Falls, near the helicopter flights, can't remember the name..The Canadian side is beautiful, lots of flowers in bloom and very clean.You won't be sorry you stayed on our side..! have a great trip. I checked the site out, most of the CG have a website(lower right of each main page. Yogi Bear has lots of activities and a shuttle to the falls..traffic is very heavy in the town and parking is a giant lot near the falls and costs $. have fun planning..Dona

2004 F350/6.0L/turbodiesel/crew-Open Road 359RL3-S5 (2010'Dodge ram 3500 Mega on order)
Dona and Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #5

Thanks Dona and Elvin! I know little about this area. We decided to stay at the Campark resort on Lundy's Lane. We think it will be quieter and more peaceful than Jellystone. It too has a shuttle, which we will utilize to the fullest.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #6

you are very welcome..in AZ last winter we looked at the Grand Junctions-very nice units. We wanted to buy one, but didn't know how to get our atv back home.(had a TT.) Since we just bought the Open Road 5er, now we have to get our atv back to Arizona-found a trucking company here going to LA every monday, they will haul it..have a great time at the falls!
Dona

2004 F350/6.0L/turbodiesel/crew-Open Road 359RL3-S5 (2010'Dodge ram 3500 Mega on order)
Dona and Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #7

You might want to try Bissell's Hideaway in Ridgeville, Ont. It is about 15 minutes from the falls, the sites were roomy, the park was clean, and they have there own lake with water slides (the grand kids might enjoy). They have a web site, www.bissellshideaway.com check it out.
Feeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:37 PM   #8

Hi Feeline! Welcome to irv2.com. Thanks for the advice. Please visit the new members forum near the top of the forum main page and introduce yourself to the club. One of the website owners, rebels-beach is a regular participant on the forums.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #9

If you use a credit card to buy stuff, Check your card. Most charge a 3% handling fee. So for big items, you might want to pay cash. Make sure you visit Niagra on the Lake community, just east of the Rainbow bridge on the Canadian side. The flowers were beautiful. Lot of wine shops and eateriers there.

The exchange rate is down to about 6.5% now, so the cost is about the same on both sides of the border. s/Toby
Old 07-02-2007, 03:50 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Toby is right, most credit cards do charge a handling fee for foreign transactions. We have found the Capitol One Master Card does not. Important to those who do international travel.