Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2020, 07:19 AM   #1

North or South Through Atlanta this week

Hi All, I am traveling on I-75 from TN to the GA coast through Atlanta this week (Thursday or Friday). Just curious, given current conditions in Atlanta does anyone have recommendations on staying on i-75 or take the Beltway around?
My first time through this area.
Thanks,
rwhit323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2020, 07:20 AM   #2
Community Administrator

If you’re going to be anywhere around rush hours , go around

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anything but rush hour, go through, just take your time. I always go through. Bypass is just as busy at rush hour as straight through.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #4

There were pictures of protesters openly carrying long guns in Atlanta on the news this morning. Very strange to see. Unless you're on a schedule, I would skirt the whole area and see some countryside for a few hours. Closing down highways has been one of the methods of protest and an RV might stand out.
cinitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinitall View Post
There were pictures of protesters openly carrying long guns in Atlanta on the news this morning. Very strange to see. Unless you're on a schedule, I would skirt the whole area and see some countryside for a few hours. Closing down highways has been one of the methods of protest and an RV might stand out.
YES X 10
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:11 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I drove my wife to the Atlanta airport this morning from the northside heading south. First time i have driven through downtown in 2-3 months.
Passed through downtown about 7:45 AM and was shocked to see no traffic at all. I guess people are still in covid mode. As we passed by the burned out Wendys (which you can't see from the highway, but it is right beside the highway at the University Ave exit) I saw none of the armed criminals that were reported. I am not saying they weren't there, just couldn't see anything of them from the interstate. Believe me, I was on the lookout but saw nothing. After dropping her off, headed back north and passed through downtown around 8:20 AM. Still no traffic and no sign of the armed criminals.

Check the news, listen to FM 95.5 or AM 920 as you approach Atlanta. They both run traffic and road construction reports every 10-15 minutes during rush hours. If they are not reporting slowdowns or protests or riots, then you should be ok and go right through town. If they give warnings, take I-285 around town.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 06-24-2020, 07:18 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
You might consider coming thru Dalton and down through Dawsonville, Gainesville then thru Athens and then east.
The bunch of knotheads in Atlanta will tie up traffic in 20 minutes and have it tied up all day just for the fun of it.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:54 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I read in the AJC this morning that the roving bands of gun-toting criminals in the area of the burned out Wendys were removed yesterday evening by the police. No guarantee that they won't come back. Short of a wreck on the connector, I would push straight through on I-75. Don't drive in either the far right lane (often become exit only) or the far left lane (the nascar wannabees reserve that lane) and you should be fine.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 06-25-2020, 05:35 AM   #9

Hi All,

Thank you for all the great advice. I am on a bit of a time crunch, and my route takes me through on Saturday morning now. I like the Dalton, Athens circle route and will keep it in my pocket as necessary. Right now I intend to take the beltway (providing options to bailout to the east) and watch news and traffic closely. Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:26 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
This link might help from a traffic standpoint.

https://www.wsbtv.com/traffic/
Old 06-27-2020, 08:14 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I may be too late but the good route is to ignore ATL when southbound out of TN.

Exit onto GA 53 at Calhoun; Proceed to US 27 at Rome; Travel south on US 27 to LaGrange; Left on GA 109 in LaGrange and east 3 miles to I-85; enter I-85 toward ATL about 2000 feet and bear right south onto I-185; I-185 to Columbus south;Exit under the Ft Benning bridge (best looking road bridge in north America!) and follow GA 520 (becomes US 82 at Dawson) all the way to the coast at Brunswick.

Beautiful road, great speed 55-65, nice sized small towns along the way and 100% 4 lane. A very enjoyable ride and relatively direct from TN to the coast.Pecans, peaches and barbecue all along the way!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #12

Smile Bypass Atlanta

Sometimes we cut across and go thru Newman and get on 127. Go from Griffin to Newman and take 127 S. Nice little towns and shops if you're not in a hurry and like to see new places.
FALCONEDDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:06 AM   #13

Thanks All. We took the east beltway with little trouble but heavy traffic. But I do think in the future I will look at the alternative routes around Atlanta.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:25 AM   #14

I went through downtown on I-75 fathers day weekend, NB @ 3pm fri, SB @ 1pm sun with no problems downtown. The traffic tie ups were north and south of town outside the 285 ring. The traffic only added 45 mins to the trip, if I take the back roads, it adds 1-1:15 to the trip. Pick your poison, there is no easy way from FL to East TN. I make a half dozen trips a year visiting family and have tried them all.
JSM180 is offline   Reply With Quote