Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Northern VA to L.A. Trip & Mountains

Planning a trip in late Sep early Oct to drive from Fredericksburg, VA to the L.A. I have driven it 4 or 5 times over the years in a car but it has been a long time since the last trip. I've never driven our coach in the mountains before. It does have an exhaust break. My 06 Tour has a CAT 350. I would like to ask for some suggestions/advice on a few items. First any recommendations on whether to let the transmission do it's thing on its own or possibly down shift to 5th or 4th when starting down the various down grades with exhaust brake on in both cases? Also any recommendations on overnight stopping locations. Hope to make it in 5 days
Old Grape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #2

2600 miles in 5 days ... over 500 miles a day ... that does not sound like fun to me ...

Rather than worry about what gear to shift into ... I suggest that you make sure that your speed is under control at the top ... and as the speed builds up (even with your exhaust brake) you should STAB your brake pedal to bring the speed down 10 mph and then LET OFF ... otherwise your brakes overheat ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote