Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 05:57 PM   #1

NY State "Tolls By Mail"

What a joke! I traveled the NYS Thruway 08/04/21. I just got the bill a few days ago. Total bill was $2.76.
I tried to pay online but they won't accept it because it's over 20 days since I used the Thruway.
I also used the Thruway 08/09/21 for the return trip. I haven't received a bill for that usage yet. I expect the charges to be the same.
Now I'm writing a check to cover the bill I have now.
$.76 for the toll, $2.00 for the Admin. Surcharge. Now I'll have to use a $.55 stamp to cover the charges.
This is the first time I've traveled the NYS Thruway since the booths were taken out. I don't expect to travel the Thruway again until next August when I make the same journey.
It seems as though when I traveled the same route when the booths were there the toll was just under $5.00 for the same usage with the same Class A.
This makes no sense to me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 06:09 PM   #2

At least their cameras were working properly, last time I drove through Louisville on I65 was over a year ago, I'm still waiting on the bill by mail, because I don't have an EZ pass transponder.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:09 PM   #3

as of 2-weeks ago illinois still hadn't re-opened their manual toll booths and instead asks motorists without a transponder to pay online.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:21 PM   #4

Is it worth it to you to put $25 onto an EZ Pass account? I’m also in NY and have found it a convenient way to automatically pay tolls within NYS as well as in other states when I travel. I have used my NYS EZPass up and down the east coast. I use the same transponder with and without my TT and it has always charged me for the correct number of axels.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
Is it worth it to you to put $25 onto an EZ Pass account? I’m also in NY and have found it a convenient way to automatically pay tolls within NYS as well as in other states when I travel. I have used my NYS EZPass up and down the east coast. I use the same transponder with and without my TT and it has always charged me for the correct number of axels.
In all honesty it wouldn't really be worth it to me. I travel the Thruway once a year normally when we take our MH to the races at Watkins Glen and back. Otherwise I avoid the Thruway and take more scenic routes around the state.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:52 AM   #6

I was in Virginia a few years back and ended up on a toll road with no booths to pay the toll. Months later they sent me a bill for the toll of a few dollars and change. It had to cost them way more than the toll to create the bill, mail the bill, receive my payment, then process and deposit the payment.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:16 AM   #7

In Texas, the failure to have one of a handful of different tolltags results in getting a bill that is several times higher than the base rate, plus an administrative fee that may exceed the toll itself.

Granted, the tolls are pretty high in general for some of these new roads they have built. I looked at using the Chisolm Trail tollroad a few years ago when I was headed down to Austin area on backroads with my single axle popup. It was going to cost me something like $40 one way for the tolls and according to Google MAPS save me almost 5 minutes. I opted to avoid the tollroad.

Some of the tolls in our area vary depending on how heavy the traffic is. During peak times, the costs of the toll may double or more over the lowest rate.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:03 PM   #8

Resistance is futile. Get an EZPass. I resisted for *years* because I'd prefer direct billing at time of use rather than giving SleazyPass money *they* can make money on instead of *me*, but eventually it got to be too inconvenient. Grumble, grumble, growl, grumble...
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Resistance is futile. Get an EZPass. I resisted for *years* because I'd prefer direct billing at time of use rather than giving SleazyPass money *they* can make money on instead of *me*, but eventually it got to be too inconvenient. Grumble, grumble, growl, grumble...
That’s how I felt. Even if I only used it once a year it’s worth $25 to me to have the whole thing be automated and effortless. Plus, I figure I’m saving whatever interest I’m losing by paying a reduced toll, not paying admin charges, or having to provide a stamp.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:32 PM   #10

and then there are automated Speeding Ticket Bills mailed out to the registered owner.

As I recall it was the fall of 2018, Sioux City, $100 (but no reports to your state, jacking up insurance).
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:35 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
That’s how I felt. Even if I only used it once a year it’s worth $25 to me to have the whole thing be automated and effortless. Plus, I figure I’m saving whatever interest I’m losing by paying a reduced toll, not paying admin charges, or having to provide a stamp.
Interest? The interest you get on $25 for 5 years won’t pay for one postage stamp!
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Interest? The interest you get on $25 for 5 years won’t pay for one postage stamp!
That’s why I see no harm in giving NYS $25 to hold for me.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:34 PM   #13

The Uni-Pass from Florida Central Expressway works everywhere east of the Mississippi sans a few toll bridges. You can set the re-charge amounts and minimums to whatever you want. I use a charge card with a 2% rebate. It has a reasonably good phone app. I too went through RiverLink in Louisville about 5 times without getting a bill--maybe the fifth wheel messed up reading the license plate. Since I got the Uni-Pass I now pay my fair share there to use the bridges.
LenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:54 PM   #14

Don’t feel bad.
I have a Ezpass and used the NY Thruway I90 a few weeks ago
Went to Herkimer KOA. Came back on the 14th.
I get a letter that I have a $9.60 bill for my TOAD.
I look at my Ezpass bill and they only charged my EZpass for a Class 4 coming home.
I am usually charged a Class 5.
The difference is $0.80. Normally.
I called the NY State Thruway, 30 minute wait, total 50 minutes on the phone and they would only change the charge to $3.40.
So their mistake costs me $2.60 and a hour of my time

Evidently the EZ pass missed my Jeep on the way home when I entered the Thruway.

I wasn’t going to argue anymore with the person, so I paid the $3.40.
Oh well, so it goes
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote