Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #1

NYS Thruway Changes

A bit of a heads up for anyone who uses the NYS Thruway. The good news is the toll booths are being torn down so no more squeezing through the toll booths. The bad news is that, unless you have an EZ Pass, you will spend 30% more when you are billed by mail for NYS Thruway tolls. You will also receive a $2 service charge for being billed by mail.

If your travels this year will take you onto the Thruway you might want to get an EZ Pass before embarking on your journey.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #2

Note that NY residents can apply / qualify for a reduced rate plan for motorhomes used as recreation vehicles. Code MHM
I believe this is roughy equivalent to passenger rates ( including # axles) vs the commercial rates for large multi axle vehicles.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:58 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
The EZ Pass is also good in multiple other states. Mostly in the NE area.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
There was rumor of it getting accepted in FL but I dont know if that ever went through?
Old 11-17-2020, 07:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
There was rumor of it getting accepted in FL but I dont know if that ever went through?
So far, only on CFX agency(Orlando area) toll roads unless something has changed lately. Caution, not all toll roads in Orlando, including stretches of the same road, are run by a single agency. Most are a combination of CFX and SunPass.

CFX does have an EZ Pass transponder that works up north, as well as virtually all of the Florida toll roads. I think that there are somewhere around 6(+/-) different toll agencies(fiefdoms) in FLA.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
EZPass works in the NE, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Illinois. Basically operational from the top of Maine to the Mississippi River. I live in Michigan and have a PA EZPass for my motorhome, a NY EZPass for the car(s), and a SunPass from a rental car trip in FL.
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #7

E-Pass in FL is good in 18 states.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
E-Pass in FL is good in 18 states.
Yup. And that's what I use. I don't drive the Thruway enough to worry about a NYS resident's discount. In fact, the EZPass in my cars is from NJ.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:55 PM   #9

I too have the FL EPass.

Works in NY but the Thruway tolls are double what a car and trailer would pay because the RV is over 7 feet tall at the front axle.
That's how they decide if its a big rig or not.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I too have the FL EPass.

Works in NY but the Thruway tolls are double what a car and trailer would pay because the RV is over 7 feet tall at the front axle.
That's how they decide if its a big rig or not.
Thats what the HMH discount avoids... if you are a NY resident and provide the necessary documentation to qualify for the motorhome reduced rate.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Thats what the HMH discount avoids... if you are a NY resident and provide the necessary documentation to qualify for the motorhome reduced rate.
Tried to title in NY again. DMV didn't have a way, so I'm still tagged in Florida.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Tried to title in NY again. DMV didn't have a way, so I'm still tagged in Florida.
So you get to pay the "NY welcome from out of state" supplemental toll charge... even though you ( I believe) pay property tax in NY?!
I'm no legal beagle but that seems like it should be illegal treating interstate commerce differently based on what state you are from?
That seems akin to charging higher bridge tolls for out of states entering NYC than NY residents returning to NY.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:41 AM   #13

I live in PA and they have eliminated the scales at the toll booths. My setup, truck and trailer, used to be classified as a class 3 because of the total weight. Now, without the scales, they count the number of axles which pushes me to a class 4.

They eliminated toll booth personnel to save money, and now charge more!!
Even with the EZ pass savings i am paying a higher toll than before.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #14

Quote:
So you get to pay the "NY welcome from out of state" supplemental toll charge... even though you ( I believe) pay property tax in NY?!
I'm no legal beagle but that seems like it should be illegal treating interstate commerce differently based on what state you are from?
That seems akin to charging higher bridge tolls for out of states entering NYC than NY residents returning to NY.
Yup, that's about the way it works, so I stay off the Thruway with MH and Toad.

2 years ago I pulled a toll ticket getting on the Thruway and went to a maned booth getting off. I showed the attendant the amount on the ticket, $5. She said no, no, I see height indicator, $10.