Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

Ohio to Glacier

I'm new to this forum and hope for good feedback. I'm pulling my Vengeance TH to glacier and would like to know if anyone has made the trip from the Midwest and I'd so what routes are the easiest pulling a camper.?
Kaysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 04:29 PM   #2

In MT I'd stick to I-90 if coming up from WY, or I94 if coming in from ND. 94 become 90 at Billings. From there you can go west to butte and take I15 north to hwy 2 then west to glacier. Or you can take 90 to Missoula then take 93 North to Polson/kalsispel. There are miscellaneous 2 lane mtn highways from the great falls area, but I don't know if they save time with the speeds and twists. Avoid hwy. 200 unless just taking it from Glendive to circle then North to wolf point or to go over ft. Pec dam. 200 is narrow and rough from Brockway to the other side of Jordan with just few miles of good road and about 10miles of construction with no pavement currently. Should be done by next summer... hopefully. Still miles of rough and narrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:35 PM   #3

We took 200 as far as we could last year on our way to Glacier. Too interstate home. Just easier, more comfortable, services are more plentiful and often have easier access. 200 is very hilly as well. Up, down, up, down and repeat for what seems forever.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #5

Head straight north through Michigan to the Upper Peninsula and take Hwy 2 across. It's a very nice, easy drive. Be sure to stay at Fort Peck Corp of Engineer park in Montana. It has very large, grassy sites and makes for a nice break. It's there where you'll see how Montana got its nickname 'Big Sky Country' and it's neat to see the mountains get closer and closer. You won't be driving in the mountains though. It's pretty much a straight highway.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When are you going to do that?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Head straight north through Michigan to the Upper Peninsula and take Hwy 2 across. It's a very nice, easy drive. Be sure to stay at Fort Peck Corp of Engineer park in Montana. It has very large, grassy sites and makes for a nice break. It's there where you'll see how Montana got its nickname 'Big Sky Country' and it's neat to see the mountains get closer and closer. You won't be driving in the mountains though. It's pretty much a straight highway.
Thanks
Old 01-16-2017, 02:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
When are you going to do that?
July
Old 01-16-2017, 02:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Are there plenty of service (truck stops) along the route?
Old 01-16-2017, 03:29 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
We did this route a couple of times on our Harley from Penna.
,Michigan is flat along the lake's, the UP is beautiful, as well with the rest of the ride across Route 2. No city's to go through per say.........we choose this route the first time to avoid Chicago
The road was smooth .............and have never seen so many sun flowers in my life growing out there.........along route 2. Lots of farm land, and flat running.......

https://roadtripusa.com/the-great-northern/

And here is a "High Speed" video of this ride across, so you can see the road's and how flat and smooth they are........Sit back and enjoy the ride..........

Old 01-16-2017, 05:39 AM   #11

2 is a pretty good rd. From at least Minot ND to the MT border is 4 lane. They widened it because of the bakken. Not much from Williston to Havre MT. A couple smaller towns like Wolf Pt and Glasgow. The road goes through lots of little towns and you slow down for most of them or go right through town with stop lights.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:54 AM   #12

LA Gulf Coast Campers
More kudos for 2 and Ft Peck. Just a word about Glacier, go to Yellowstone first if it's on your to do list. Visiting Glacier first is like having a double shot expresso followed by restaurant coffee. Also take the bus at Glacier, while driving the Going to the Sun road can be fun to some, the driver's attention is focused on keeping the vehicle (motorcycles excepted) in between literally a rock and a hard place.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #13

We have picked up I-90 in WI and taken it into MT with stops in the Black Hills (a favorite). We took US-93 from just west of Missoula to Polson then MT-35 along Flat Head Lake into the Kalispell area, where we stayed but it's a short drive on up to the West Glacier area. We've also gone MT-200 and MT-83 into Kalispell. Both of these are easy drives.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
More kudos for 2 and Ft Peck. Just a word about Glacier, go to Yellowstone first if it's on your to do list. Visiting Glacier first is like having a double shot expresso followed by restaurant coffee. Also take the bus at Glacier, while driving the Going to the Sun road can be fun to some, the driver's attention is focused on keeping the vehicle (motorcycles excepted) in between literally a rock and a hard place.

Book the bus in advance. We went in a couple weeks in advance and there weren't enough open seats for our family of 4