Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #1
jc1

Old Route 66 trip with 45ft class A with toad starting OK to NM

I'm planning to head out west on a trip and would like get to see some of old route 66 (never been on) probably starting from Oklahoma City to either amarillo tx or Albuquerque NM. I read that some of the road intertwined with I-40 and some of the rt 66 roads are not well maintained or even driveable. I know people with cars and some rvers (smaller ones?) have gone of these roads. Anyone with a 45ft class A and toad (65ft total length) been on the rt 66 stretch from Oklahoma to new Mexico? If so, what is your experience...is it driveable? Are there certain sections to avoid or to skip...such as bridges, small roads, etc? Are there sections I should go and not go on route 66? Any recommendations on places to go along that route? I tried searching online for this, but most of stuff I read is geared to cars and maybe smaller rvs. Any online resources on rt 66 for big rigs or large MH. Much appreciated for any help.
jc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #2

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is an excellent mile by mile description of route 66. Give it to your copilot to put on their lap and follow the sights and attractions for each mile. We used it like the"Milepost" publication of the Alaskan Highway. Easy to read with lots of descriptive detail. It will entertain you for the whole trip.

Here is the Amazon site to purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/Route-66-EZ66.../dp/0988924617

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #4

There is more of the actual highway left in Arizona. There is a stretch west of Oklahoma City that has the Pony Bridge over the Canadian River. It has a weight limit of 15 tons. I took a video of it when we crossed it. Cheers.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
jc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV735 View Post
Here is an excellent mile by mile description of route 66. Give it to your copilot to put on their lap and follow the sights and attractions for each mile. We used it like the"Milepost" publication of the Alaskan Highway. Easy to read with lots of descriptive detail. It will entertain you for the whole trip.

Here is the Amazon site to purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/Route-66-EZ66.../dp/0988924617

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
Thanks for providing a resource/guide to use. Will look into this guide. Where did you started off and ended off on route 66? I see you had a 39ft rv...did you also have a toad? Any difficulties with driving the rv on your rt 66 trip?
Old 10-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
jc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
There is more of the actual highway left in Arizona. There is a stretch west of Oklahoma City that has the Pony Bridge over the Canadian River. It has a weight limit of 15 tons. I took a video of it when we crossed it. Cheers.
Thanks for the info and posting the video on the pony bridge. Wow, my MH alone would exceed the weight limit of that bridge. Will have to find a way to go around it. Where did you started and ended on your journey on rt 66?
Old 10-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
Thanks for the info and posting the video on the pony bridge. Wow, my MH alone would exceed the weight limit of that bridge. Will have to find a way to go around it. Where did you started and ended on your journey on rt 66?
That's why I noted the weight. We were in a 40 ft motorhome pulling a car. We were pretty much right at the weight limit. Interstate 40 bypasses the bridge. You have to get off the Interstate to cross the bridge. Much of the old hwy is bumpy, and dead ends where they have taken out bridges etc. A good chunk of route 66 on your route has been incorporated into the Interstate, but pieces of it are still there. You will find better luck hitting the old towns. The original route 66 is now the main streets of these towns. We started in St Louis, and went all the way to California. On the stretch you are on, we more or less just hit the towns, and the odd stretch of original hwy. There is much more of the old highway intact in Arizona. Check out Justin Scarred on YouTube. I watched many of his Route 66 videos before we went.

He has a playlist of around 60 or 70 route 66 videos
Old 10-14-2019, 03:07 PM   #8

We only ran Rt66 from Joliet IL to Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

There is a lot of the old road left, but with a big A, you best be careful. There is a lot of the Mother Road still there, but it is not suitable for a large coach. While I was not worried for us, I do not recall any clearance issues south of Joliet.

If you are following EZ-66 (Backwards) you will get adequate warnings.

We would like to go back and do the rest some day, but I personally am afraid to go into California.

Matt - On Francis' PC
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, toad, class a