Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2021, 07:57 PM   #1

Question Ontario OR > Missoula: RV-Friendly(ish) Route?

Greetings,

I'm "drafting" our summer 2022 trip. On our outbound leg, we're planning to travel from Reno to Missoula.

RV Trip Wizard (RVT) is suggesting an "RV-friendly" (31-2 TT, 10K GVWR w/ propane) route between Ontario, OR and Missoula via US-95 and US-12. Having never driven that route, it looks pretty darn twisty (potentially RV-unfriendly) on RVT's map.

Does anyone have any experience navigating that route with a towable RV? Should I consider an alternate route?

Many thanks in advance!

Doing my due diligence,

Ken
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 08:18 PM   #2

It is not a bad route. We used to call US-95 the “goat trail” but it has been improved quite a bit.

I am more familiar with the section from Ontario to New Meadows, as it has been some years since I have been north of Riggins on US-95.

You will find quite a lot of elevation change, up and down, but there are quite a few passing lanes. It is not a challenging drive, but if you get into traffic you could see some slow sections.

I live in Boise, and travel to Butte, MT. I take the Interstate (I-84 to I-86 to I-15). An alternative takes us through Arco, ID, and Craters of the Moon. That alternative is shorter but not significantly faster. Going to Missoula through Butte is a long way around, but it is all interstate.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:12 PM   #3
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
As JHinman said it is a decent goat trail.

95 is decent road but it has been several years since I have been on it. Used to run from Boise up to Lewiston and beyond. You will have some climbing and curves. Long 6% pull going north near White Bird about 6+ miles long. Down grade is nothing drastic.

12 is worth the drive but don't be in a hurry. You have to drive it as it is curvy and follows the river. Lolo Pass on the ID/MT boarder is another steep climb but not impossible. (FWIW there was some million pound plus loads hauled over it several years ago) Road is decent shape and lots of pull outs to take a break.

We stayed for a night at Square Dance Center and Campground near Lolo, MT. Nice Mom and Pop place. Easy access to the river, staff was great.

Never been on 13 between Grangeville-Kooskia.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:29 PM   #4

The route is RV-friendly. It's a popular RVing one. Hwy 12 runs along the river that's why it's twisty but it's a pretty drive. Try to avoid it on the weekend.... a lot of bikers like to drive it and campers are going and coming. We've done both highways a few times with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:47 PM   #5

Thumbs up Thank You!

Thank you, all, for the thoughtful responses.

I wanted to do a little extra research as it'll be the first trip we take with our new travel trailer (assuming it's built in February as estimated) and I've got almost no experience towing anything of this size. We'll certainly be in no hurry and I've enough truck to handle the grades.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:39 PM   #6

That's a mighty fine river for fly fishing. Hint. Hint. There are campgrounds along the way.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
route