Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #1

Oregon coast to Baltimore area-August

We are considering using the Rv to attend a family reunion. Cost is definately more, but the trip cross country is something I have wanted to do. Questions are: we are having difficulty finding a good route planner. I want something that suggests stops by either time or distance (I want to drive six to eight hour stretch or four to six hundred miles). Tried "my scenic drives" and the "good Sam" websites but both fall short. We would like to get there in reasonable time but do like to see the sights on the way. Wife is still working so we hope to spend three weeks(?). Will use Garmin RV (that I still have to purchase) for the trip. Any input as to route, stops, reasonable time enroute and planning tools are appreciated. We may still decide to fly this trip but...,
dateem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #2

600 miles in 8 hours = 75mph pulling a tt ? good luck and you better check the ratings on your tires
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
We live in Oregon and have kids, grandkids & great grandkids in Maine and Florida. Before we make a trip to visit them we get out a largish USA map. We take a scrap paper and note mileages 250, 300 & 350. We then look at the overall map to see if there are places we missed on previous trips that we might want to see. We take a marker and mark the locations and measure them out in reasonable for us mileage distances using the 250, 300, 350 marks we have measured out on the scrap paper (like a ruler or a ruler would work). We also circle proposed overnight locations with 1 night, 2 nights or more if we expcect to stay at a location more than one night. We don't necessarilly follow that map or time table but it gives us a pretty good idea of how long it will take us - we try to use different highways each trip. We do use GPS for daily travel but not for trip planning. I haven't looked at it but I have read Google maps might be good for trip planning.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we don't do much for site seeing but do use google maps the same way as your large map. i set the map for a large area to cover two days of travel. then look for a place to stay overnight in a town in that days driving range. also look for fuel stops and prices with mapquest fuel finder. We often can travel 700 miles before need fuel but like to drive about 500 miles perday. once I have a list we print it out and set those places in the garmim.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #5

Streets & Trips shows you are looking at a 6000 mile round trip ... for me, that is a 6 week trip ... not a 3 week trip.

We regularly make a 2000 mile trip twice a year ... each trip takes us 5 or 6 days ... maybe more if we stop to see interesting or historical sites along the route.

If you don't stop you will see some mountains, desert, corn fields, a couple of big rivers as you go whizzing past ... doesn't sound like fun to me

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #6

Jeez, you guys are driving like maniac's. Lol, really though st tires are rated at 65 mph, and I wouldn't travel that fast on them. Look at your trip and maybe plan speed over ground at closer to 55 mph, with stops .
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We went from Portland to New Orleans last year and we took 35 days. And I still felt rushed. Three weeks to the east coast?

To quote, "The journey is the destination!"

If it's all about just getting somewhere with minimal stops I'd just fly there instead. JMHO

But either way, I wish you the best!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Take your GPS and do the setup. Some you are able to set average speeds. I would use a speed of 50 - 55. Set the parameters to avoid major highways, that should keep you off of the interstates for the most part, unless you will consider travelling on interstates.

Put in the beginning and end points. Get it to calculate the route. Follow the route on a road atlas and mark off the approximate distance you plan to travel each day. Put those points in as waypoints.

And away you go.

If we decide to try to stay to a schedule I will look up the campgrounds I plan to stay at. I then enter the coordinates of each stop and use that as the destination on the GPS for the day of travel.

It is really difficult to automate what you are planning in a program. It will require lots of data from you. Then it will give you exactly what you plan for.

If you stay with KOA or Good Sam they have planners that use their campground system and will do partly what you want. As long as you use their facilities exclusively.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:05 AM   #9

I would fly. For those total miles, and that amount of time, you'll just be beating yourself to death driving. Oh, it can be done, but not worth the aggravation.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote