Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I would agree about 42S, but you will not need it. It is simply a shortcut from Coquille to Bandon going South and you will be going North.

Another option that hasn't been mentioned is Hwy 38 from the 2nd Southerland exit to Reedsport. I would prefer either 42 or 38 over 126 because I think they are "simpler" and more scenic. 126 may be a little faster though because more of I-5 will be used instead of 101.

Much of 38 goes along the Umpqua River which IMO is one of the most beautiful rivers in OR. There is also the Dean Creek Elk Viewing Area at the left side of the road not long before arriving at Reedsport. We often stop there to watch the elk and have a snack or lunch.

After posting this I remembered the tunnel and was concerned about the height, although we had been through it many times with the TC at 11.5'. I found info. indicating that it was marked 12' 3" at the edges and 13' 8" at the center. There was also this thread; http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/elk-c...on-233658.html. I'm thinking you should be all right.

Have a wonderful trip.

Steve
If you should decide to go that way, the Hwy coming off I-5 at Southerlin which is just a few (10?) miles N of Roseburg, is actually 138 until it intersects 38 at Elkton. Also the tunnel is E of Elkton on 38 and would not be along your way to 101 and the coast.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #16

i must be getting old and senile because i have taken 42 many time and don't remember any thing bad,i always consider it a good road. 42s is tight and windy.
126,38 and 42 all are good just depend on where to and where from.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #17

Question Hwy 38 & 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
If you should decide to go that way, the Hwy coming off I-5 at Southerlin which is just a few (10?) miles N of Roseburg, is actually 138 until it intersects 38 at Elkton. Also the tunnel is E of Elkton on 38 and would not be along your way to 101 and the coast.

Steve
I was looking up Hwy 38 and 138 on my Truckers atlas. There are no height restrictions on 38. My motorhome is 13 feet to top of AC units. Is there something I'm missing? In fact there are no height restrictions on any Oregon Hwys.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:06 PM   #18

You can definitely take your motorhome on 138/38 without concern for heights! We've done it a few times with our 40'.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #19

Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You can definitely take your motorhome on 138/38 without concern for heights! We've done it a few times with our 40'.
I had an issue in Washington on the Hwy across the river from Portland. It was Hwy 14. There were 5 tunnels that had warning signs and I had to detour back over the river to the Interstate. I'm a little paranoid on the height thing

Twogypsies.....that's a long time full timing! You must have seen it all by now.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
All I said was that there is a tunnel on 38 East of Elkton and the height limitations which are higher than most, if not all, MHs. I also posted a link to a thread that was on this forum several years ago concerning the tunnel; http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/elk-c...on-233658.html

If the route is 138 to Elkton then 38 to Reedsport there would be no tunnel. It is on 38 going East toward Drain from Elkton. I shouldn't have even mentioned it.

Sorry for the confusion. IMO, it is a beautiful drive.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:15 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Whenever we head south in the winter and have to move over to to Hwy-101 to avoid snow on the I-5 passes, we always take Hwy-38. It is an easy drive for our 43 ft plus toad with no high passes to cross.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #22

I've traveled east to west and west to east on the 126 between Eugene and the 101 in our coach. Very doable. I would be mindful of the time of day on an east to west run. The setting sun can make it hard to see what is ahead of you.

If the Trinadad section is going to be shut down for a short time, and you have the time in you are not time constrained, sit it out somewhere and then resume your travels as planned.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:07 AM   #23

RE: Tunnels. Keep in mind that they measure at the edge rather than the center, unless specified. We've gone through tunnels where the outside measurements were fairly close to our motorhome height. However, what you do is drive down the center - making sure oncoming traffic is clear.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote