Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2020, 07:18 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Orlando,FL to Sacramento, CA

I have purchased a 2000 Monaco Windsor Diesel, in Florida to drive to Sacramento. I will be leaving on October 18. Any ideas as to which route will be the best to take? We would like to see some interesting places. We have to be back by November 1.
Wendiswhoiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2020, 07:27 AM   #2

Typically southern routes during winter and northern routes during summer. I'd cut across texas up thru AZ. Don't want to get too far north this time of year.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:33 AM   #3

13 Days? You aren't going to have a lot of time for sightseeing, unless you really push it you are looking at 5 to 6 days on the road out and the same back.

Take I-75 up to I-10 then west on that to I-12 around New Orleans. That will drop you back on I-10 and follow that west to US 93 in Phoenix, that to I-40 west.

To US 395 in east California. Take that north to I-80. 395 will bring you past some excellent mountain territory. Including Mt McKinley and you pass close to Yosemite National Park.

Once you get to I-80 take that west to Sacramento passing Lake Tahoe.

For us once we get past Houston the landscape around I-10 gets more interesting.

If you haven't driven a big RV before some advice: stick to the right lane of the interstate. Pushing your speed will make your gas mileage drop quickly and that Class A will get terrible mileage anyway.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #4

You might also use Google Maps to look at routing scenarios.....
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:54 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It all depends on what you want to see and what you think of ass interesting. I would skip the I80 rout because of snow and cold temps at elevations personally.

I would suggest the I40 route. Start out on 10 then in Pensacola pick up 98 to Jackson and whatever route looks best to get to 40 west. Stock up on media about Rt66 because rt 40 was laid over it. Most importanf look for the places where the original rt 66 diverges from 40 because that is where you will see the best of old 66.

On the way back you might want to take rt 10 because it will be warmer.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Living in the FL Keys and having a son in Placerville, CA (who is an officer with SACPD), I've made that long trip multiple times.

Be warned it is snowing in the Rockies already so should take into account the weather in addition to 'seeing interesting places'. Your first stop may be to have your coach thoroughly checked for any mechanical issues. 2,800+ miles can stress your drive train quick!

The Google Maps fastest route is what I would take.
75 to 10
In Mobile cut NW on 98 to 49 to Jackson, MS. In Mobile you can visit the USS Alabama battleship.
Pick up I-20 in Jackson. Vicksburg is a great town to visit with significant Civil War history.
I-20 to Dallas/FW. You can see 'car-henge' with the Cadillac buried in the ground or is that Amarillo.
Hop on TX-287 to Amarillo. Eat at the '72-oz steak and get it free' restaurant.
Then on I-40 all the way to Barstow, CA. Albuquerque has Tent Rocks - one of my favorite hiking areas. You'll be close to Petrified Forest NP in AZ. Meteor Crater. Near Flagstaff - Sunset Crater volcano. Kingman AZ is a great stop. I usually time my crossing of the Mojave for very early morning but you should not have a heat issue.
CA - 58 over the mountains into Bakersfield.
Then CA-99 North right into Sac.

However, I have to correct a previous poster that you will NOT see Mt. McKinley anywhere in CA! I think he's referring to Mt. Whitney which is the highest point in the continental US.

Safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever driven in mountains with an RV?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
YC1

5-7 days each way. Wow, you will barely have time to look out the window.

We are from Yuba City Ca. 35 miles North of Sacramento.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #9

Welcome to the Forum!

You said "you purchased".... is this a recent purchase? The RV is 20 years old which is just fine - there are some very nice older units out there, but for such a long trip... and perhaps a first-time long drive with it, have you had it checked out thoroughly for any mechanical issues. How old are the tires? There will be a coded date on them to tell the age. I'm saying this not to scare you off but that's a very long drive within a limited short timeframe. What if you had mechanical issues? Would you have the time to spare?

At least think about doing a direct route to your destination - no farther north than I-40 into California then Hwy 99 or I-5 north to Sacramento, and on the drive back home you can better judge how much time you have to sitesee.

300 miles for us would be 6 hr. of drive time including a lunch break, etc.

If you return via I-40 you could stop at Grand Canyon in Arizona. Check your weather constantly as you travel and have alternate routes in mind.

If you return via I-10 you could drive through Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, CA and then to Phoenix (the Maricopa County Regional Park Campgrounds are awesome - Google them), then to Tucson, AZ for perhaps a walk through Saguaro Nat'l Park (no campgrounds) just to see the beautiful cactus. Once you leave Tucson on I-10 you will have a lot of open space to view.

Have a safe trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #10

orlando to sacramento....that's 2800-mi on I-75/I-10/I-20/US287/I-40/I-5. figure an average speed of 50-mph (includes stops) that's 56-hours of driving...2.33 days if you drive straight through without stopping to sleep or twice that on 12-hr driving days...4-5 days out, 4-5 days back. you only have 14-days. add a week, preferably two or make a more realistic plan. with your current plan then only interesting places you'll have any time to see will be truck stops.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Living in the FL Keys and having a son in Placerville, CA (who is an officer with SACPD), I've made that long trip multiple times.

However, I have to correct a previous poster that you will NOT see Mt. McKinley anywhere in CA! I think he's referring to Mt. Whitney which is the highest point in the continental US.

Safe travels!

Yeah my Bad, And they've eliminated McKinney too.

On the other hand doing almost 6000 miles in 13 days I doubt the OP will be visiting all you POI.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
Yeah my Bad, And they've eliminated McKinney too.

On the other hand doing almost 6000 miles in 13 days I doubt the OP will be visiting all you POI.
I hope the OP clarifies but if he bought in Orlando, he might be flying to pick up in Orlando and using the 13 days to just drive back to Sac.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:13 PM   #13

I vote I-10 to US-49 to I-20 to Dallas, the US-287 to Amarillo and on across of I-40, unless there is an early season winter storm, then I10 to US-49, to I-20, back to I-10 in west Texas and on across and up once you get into California.

Note the I-20 route saves driving through a number of cities on I-10 that are notorious for bad traffic congestion, and only adds a few miles to the trip even if you cut back down to I-10 in west Texas. (google maps says the I-10,US-49, I-20, I-10 route is only 15 miles longer than staying on I-10 the whole way), it should also be noted here that I-20 skirts the south side of the Dallas Metroplex, and that I-10 goes through the center of Baton Rouge, Houston, and San Antonio
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote