RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2018, 08:02 PM   #1

Our First Cross Country in our 2007 Diplomat

Hi We are taking our first cross country trip in early April. Heading out from the Sonora Ca to Moab Ut for 5 nights, then to Oklahoma City OK for 6 nights. Looking for the best RV route towing our jeep. Then off towards Washington DC via?? , then up north to Niagara Falls (Canada side). Have to be in Kansas City MO on May 8th for a week. Then maybe head towards Mt Rushmore. Looking for any and all suggestions.
Thanks
Greg
Gregs2007Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs2007Dip View Post
Hi We are taking our first cross country trip in early April. Heading out from the Sonora Ca to Moab Ut for 5 nights, then to Oklahoma City OK for 6 nights. Looking for the best RV route towing our jeep. Then off towards Washington DC via?? , then up north to Niagara Falls (Canada side). Have to be in Kansas City MO on May 8th for a week. Then maybe head towards Mt Rushmore. Looking for any and all suggestions.
Thanks
Greg
Greg,

Fill us in - How long - Mission - why so long between scheduled stops?

Trip seems to have very little Logic - Lot of miles - not stopping at a lot of the sites along the way - why not think about making this a loop - doing the southern part of the Southwest on the way out then catching Oklahoma City then on through the Carolinas up to DC - Then maybe the beach before heading up to the Falls and Back to Kansas City - Catch Colorado for the Summer then in the fall do Utah when it cools back off.

Just a Thought.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Greg,

Fill us in - How long - Mission - why so long between scheduled stops?

Trip seems to have very little Logic - Lot of miles - not stopping at a lot of the sites along the way - why not think about making this a loop - doing the southern part of the Southwest on the way out then catching Oklahoma City then on through the Carolinas up to DC - Then maybe the beach before heading up to the Falls and Back to Kansas City - Catch Colorado for the Summer then in the fall do Utah when it cools back off.

Just a Thought.

A good thought, IMHO. That's the way we've always done it. Try to work in as much as possible with the least amount of mileage.

But everyone has their own way of doing things, and time constraints are often a factor.

Have a great trip!

Steve
dix39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:46 AM   #4

Hi Busskipper and Steve,
Our journey right now is at 2 months. Maybe a week or so longer. Our first two weeks are booked in Moab (4wheelin 5 days ) then need to be in OK City on April 10-16. Then its all about seeing places and things. I was looking at the first leg to Moab possibly on Hwy 50 at 865 miles in two days or possibly looping down through Las Vegas then up the 15 to 70, but that is closer to 1000 miles but not much more wheel time. After OKC we want to head towards DC (no hurry) and take in all that we can and go up to Niagara Falls, then we need to be in Kansas City by May 12 for a week. We have never traveled like this before and I know 8 weeks may be a bit short. For our first time we will just have to work it out. PS We do love the big roller coasters at the theme parks so we are willing to stop at any along the way. Not matter what we must be home by June 9 for our daughters graduation.
That's why I'm here on the forum to get advise from all of you who have been doing it for some time now.
Thanks in advance.
Greg
Gregs2007Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs2007Dip View Post
Hi Busskipper and Steve,
Our journey right now is at 2 months. Maybe a week or so longer.

Our first two weeks are booked in Moab (4wheelin 5 days ) then need to be

Take a read on this - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29448394.cfm - might just help fill in some blanks in Moab. As Ken knows Moab, might send him a PM to get more info if needed, Ken KNOWS Utah and Colorado.

in OK City on April 10-16.

https://binged.it/2ACS0eK - OK - might need to get on the road a few days Earlier - as i've got a few spots you will enjoy on the drive to Oklahoma City - Mexican Hat - Monument Valley - Canyon de Chelly - Albuquerque. I mean you are driving right by these places to miss them would be a CRIME.(JMHO)

Then it's all about seeing places and things.

I was looking at the first leg to Moab possibly on Hwy 50 at 865 miles in two days

I'd do RT 50 as it is a drive all should take and it is easy enough.

or possibly looping down through Las Vegas then up the 15 to 70, but that is closer to 1000 miles but not much more wheel time.

After OKC we want to head towards DC (no hurry) and take in all that we can and go up to Niagara Falls,

then we need to be in Kansas City by May 12 for a week.

So now we have about four weeks to do DC and then up to the Falls - On the drive to DC I'd recommend getting over to say Georgia then heading up the Mountains of the Carolinas/Lake Toxaway/Blue Ridge Parkway - Asheville/Biltmore - Williamsburg - then on into DC. Just not enough time to really see this area as you have the mountains the historic areas and the Shore.

We have never traveled like this before and I know 8 weeks may be a bit short.

As it will definitely be short, I'd seriously do the Southern part and save the northern Part for another trip - Sooooooooo much to see and truly not nearly enough time.......................

For our first time we will just have to work it out.

With the Hard dates you have just need to pick and choose the stops as the east Coast is full of many great Venues.

PS We do love the big roller coasters at the theme parks so we are willing to stop at any along the way.

Sorry - my kids are 39-40 so the theme parks have been long gone.........

Not matter what we must be home by

June 9 for our daughters graduation.

That's why I'm here on the forum to get advise from all of you who have been doing it for some time now.

Thanks in advance.

Greg
Greg, Tried to at least answer some of you questions

Now From Kansas City to Home - https://binged.it/2CRoyYw - this might work - again likely more than you can do in the time allotted so look over and Pick and Choose.

Best of Luck hope this is of some Help!
Old 01-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #6

I'm thinking if you are going to leave Sonora in early April and spend two weeks in Moab it will be difficult (impossible?) to be in OK City by April 10-16. Two weeks in April will make it April 14. Then from April 16 (?) the plan is to to go to DC and Niagara Falls, which to me would mean spending most of a week in DC, depending on what you wish to see there (there is a lot), and a few days at Niagara Falls (8-10 days total?). Total miles from OKC to DC to NF to KC, MO are approximately 2753 (Mapquest) and approximately 33 hours of total driving time. 10 days to visit and 4 days of travel time (14 days) is easily do-able between April 16 and May 12 (26 days). I don't know what your interests are, but there is a ton of history back there along the East Coast as well as beautiful scenery. That is also true for the areas around the Great Lakes if you go back to KC that way. I would do some research and figure out where YOU would most enjoy spending the 10 or so extra days you have there, or along the way. Busskipper has listed some good ideas for you. 70 would probably be the fastest way to get to to DC, but not as scenic as the ways he listed. I was thinking you may wish to visit St Louis and the arch (I-70), but that may also be a possibility on your way back to KC May 12, depending on how you plan it.

I'm not sure what the thinking is from Niagara Falls. If you plan to go through Canada to eventually pick up 90 to Rushmore and then back to KC, I've never done that. I would probably spend the 10 days in the east doing whatever you choose, then back to KC. Then either see some the things mentioned by Bussskipper under his OK City listing, including GC, if you didn't see them on the beginning of your trip, or head up to I-90 from KC to see Rushmore, and a number of things in that area terminating at Yellowstone and the Tetons before heading south. Whatever will fit into your time schedule and get you back in time for your daughters graduation.

When planning a trip we have always researched the places we would like to see the year (winter?) before with library books and books we bought (that was before computers and the internet). Then I would use an atlas to figure out how to get there and the approximate mileage and driving times. I would also try to plan it so we didn't do any more "backtracking" than necessary. That is what I still do and it has worked well for us over many years.

I've never spent much time in Albuquerque, but the areas near it that were mentioned are nice. We did go up through Santa Fe and Taos to CO one time and my wife bought some pancake looking bread that was cooked by Navajo women using "beehive ovens" just north of Taos. I asked why she bought so much and she said she wanted to take some back to WV for family there. A day or two later it had all disappeared. I didn't eat any, so I'm thinking she liked it so much the family in WV were forgotten.

I would check the timing for the beginning of your trip more closely. Unless I am mistaken there may be a problem there. I think 4wheeling in that area would be great. We may visit the GC North Rim and unhook the Tracker there for a few days on our way back to WV next spring/summer.

Best of luck and have a great trip.

Steve
Old 01-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
We did continue up through Santa Fe and Taos to CO one time and my wife bought some pancake looking bread that was cooked by Navajo women using "beehive ovens" just north of Taos. I asked why she bought so much and she said she wanted to take some back to WV for family there. A day or two later it had all disappeared. I didn't eat any, so I'm thinking she liked it so much the family in WV were forgotten.

You missed it then - as IMHO it is Really good - especially if they have the Honey Butter - OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! - GOOD - We always get it a Canyon de Chelly - as they/Native Americans were doing the cooking everytime we have been. Canyon de Chelly is Special but when you add the Bread .................................................. .......... OH SO GOOD.

Best of luck and have a great trip.

Steve
Great first trip,

Old 01-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #8

We did a very similar trip last spring. went went from Reno, down through Texas, then up to Georgia, the Carolinas and on to DC. My suggestion would be to not miss the Georgia and the Carolinas. So much beauty to see. We stayed at a great park outside of DC called Prince William Forest RV Campground. It was a beautiful forested park, right in the middle of the city! Full hookups and reasonable prices. We just took the commuter trains in to DC for sightseeing. It was great. We did about 11,000 miles, 18 states in 3 1/2 months. Really wish we had longer!

Hwy 50 across Nevada is a breeze!

Enjoy your adventure!
hgtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #9

One year we decided to drive Hwy 50 from where we grew up in eastern WV to wherever we decided to leave it. It more or less parallels I-70 and in some places it is replaced by 70. We got off a little west of Austin, NV and went north to I-80 at Battle Mountain. IMHO, the best part was through CO.

Steve