Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #1

PA route 6 to Niagara Falls

Planning to go on Pa route 6 from Scranton to Erie, then up to the Falls. My questions are:

How easy it to drive a 31 ft Class c up and around the Falls? Is there parking to stop on the way and tour before we go to a campground?

How can I see them at night since we wont have a toad, are there shuttles in some campgrounds?

And finally, has anyone taken the PA rt 6 trip across the state and is it as scenic and worth the trip as the Scenic Highways book states?

I know there have been posts in the past about the Falls and forgive me for asking yet again. I love this forum and learn so much from all your help. Karen
krcaccrv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I'd take Rt 6 to US Rt 219 north to buffalo and Niagara Falls. To take Rt 6 to Erie and then cut back to Niagara Falls will add a couple 100 extra miles.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
WDW

2x on 219 north to Buffalo.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #4

Route 6 is very scenic but also very narrow in places. I have driven it in my 40' motorhome with no problems. If you want to go to Erie and then back to Niagara Falls you can take Route 5 up but if you just want to get to the falls then take Rt. 219.

Mike
Old 03-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for that input. we were thinking about seeing Erie and continuing on to the Falls and then up the NY coast. You are right though, 219 is great if we skip Erie.

I guess I will have to call potential campgrounds to see if any have a shuttle.

Thanks Mike for pointing out that some parts of rt. 6 are narrow. We are newbies and need all the advice we can get!

Anything along rt 6 that we shouldn't miss besides PA grand canyon and the Kinzua bridge sky walk? we'll start in Jim Thorpe and check out that train ride through Lehigh Gorge.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #6

visiting Niagara Falls NY

I live in Niagara Falls NY. Take the route 219 then exit 50 for the 290 North. On Grand Island you will find a KOA campsite. They sell tickets for a bus guided tour of Niagara Falls. You could also catch the Metro bus to Niagara Falls. The Metro bus would also bring you back. If I can be of any further assistance PM me.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #7

very helpful, Sam-3, I will definitely check that out. I appreciate your help!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We were there in August in our Bounder, we stayed at the KOA on Grand Island. It was OK, nothing spectacular. Took a four-hour tour bus to the falls. Based on what we saw/felt on the tourist bus, I would not attempt to drive a 25+ foot MH anywhere in the Niagara Falls metro area. There are parking lots at the various 'tourist' spots around the falls, such as Maid of the Mist, but they looked awful tight. The only problem with the tour bus is, of course, that's it's on a schedule. You can not just stand around and linger at a nice spot, there's too much "Ok, bus loads in 5 minutes for the next stop..." kind of hurry-up. Plus, part of the four hours is the first hour when it drives around picking up passengers. That seemed not right. It was $100 per person, a bit steep, although that did cover the ticket prices for MotM and the Cave of the Winds, the only two spots that charged admission, that I know of and there was even a big sign at the front of the bus "Tipping Driver 15% is Customary". We went in on a Friday, and were going to go back on on Saturday PM to see the lights and fireworks, and then found out that, get this, IN THE SUMMER, they do not do the lights and fireworks on Saturday Night. Wednesday and Sunday only. Bummer. Next time, we'll take a toad or 2nd car or something and be more mobile.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #9

JiminJersey, Thank you so much for adding to this discussion! I would be a nervous wreck trying to get around the area under those conditions. Your input has really caused me to reconsider doing that in an rv with no toad. this forum is a real blessing to those of us who are new to the whole rv thing!
Old 03-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #10

Check out the Pa. Lumber Museum West of Galeton, Pa. It's a really good museum about the multi-million dollar lumber industry in Potter County around the late 1890's and early 1900's.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #11
WDW

Well if you are going to the lumber museum, stop at the Zippo/ Case Knife in Bradford, PA.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote