Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #1

Pacific Coast Highway in February

Heading north from LA, we have heard some parts of Route 1 are fine for a 30' with a toad, and some involve hairpin turns and we would be better to stick to the 101.

Anyone know of a good summary of where it is safe (both physicaly and mentally) to take 1 and when we should use the 101? I am a real wuss.

Heading back to Seattle from Desert Hot Springs.
begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
From LA to San Francisco there are stretches were 1 and 101 are the same road. All of the section where 1 is a separate it is very just fine. Generally two lane right on the coast and goes through towns. There are sections of 1 between San Francisco and Eureka that would would be an issue since they have 30' King Pin to Rear Axle restriction in places. This link Truck Network Mapwill take you to a Calif DOT site that provides maps of the areas. You could probably drive through these areas but I would not recommend it. North of Eureka 101 follows the coast so there is no US 1. I have traveled 101 north all the way to Olympia WA. In fact we took 101 all the way to Port Townsend then the ferry over to Whiddbey Island. It was a very nice drive.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I would travel 1 from Santa monica to Oxnard. 101 from Oxnard to San Luis Obispo. 1 to Morro Bay then day trips in the Jeep further West. From Morro Bay I would go in land to Atascedero and get on 101 up to Salinas then back to 1 in Monterey. 1 from Monterey to Santa Cruz. I would take Hwy 17 in Santa Cruz (toward San Jose) which becomes 880 and then I 80. I 80 past Oakland (toward Vallejo) take the Richardson Bridge to 101 (South of Petaluma). After Santa Rosa head back to 1 (around Duncan Mills) 1 from here to Fort Bragg is slow but do able. At Fort Bragg I would go back to 101 at Willits. 101 to Crescent City into Oregon. I would stay on the Coast all the way to Astoria. At Astoria decide to stay on the Coast or go inland to I 5.
I've done this route several times and it is beautiful.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #4

Thank you both. Just the info we are seeking.
begete is offline   Reply With Quote