RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2020, 07:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post

Can this be done in a 30 ft class C towing a jeep 4 down?

I have it mapped out for a coast to coast trip this summer.

I realize this is a 2 lane divided hwy for most of this portion.

I guess I am asking if you have done this before.

The northern portion from Oregon past San Francisco I will be travelling on 101.
Yes, is the simple answer,

Maybe, if you are asking the question, it should be thought about a bit.

No, if you are not a "Driver".

So that should Cover it - I Loved it in many of my older Coaches/RV's - Have not done it in the Current Coach only because Cali is so (IMHO) unfriendly to RV'er (Personal Opinion) so for the last 15 years all visits have been fly in and rent a car - but the PCH is to Die for - if you are Lucky, get that Great Sunny Day and light Traffic - it's and OMG Drive.

Just a Note here - I Love to Drive - and have and will search for Roads others shy away from so........ take my advice with that Caveat.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #16

Our first trip to CA many years ago was to travel down the PCH, this was flying out and driving by car.

1. After we did the trip we learned the best views are driving South to North even though the pull offs are on the left side.

2. We followed quite a few campers down the highway and at some points it looked like the tow vehicle was looking at the rear of the camper. Not for us.

3. If you do go, Nepenthe in Big Sur has the most amazing view and an awesome cheeseburger.

Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:33 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Charming said:

"3. If you do go, Nepenthe in Big Sur has the most amazing view and an awesome cheeseburger."

Absolutely!!! Used to do a Sunday drive down there just to eat.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #18

All this PCH talk has me wanting to bump up our trip to the Rose Parade a year earlier. Hmmm, we cancelled spring, we might have to cancel summer, I have obligations for a couple of months in the fall.

How far north can we go in January and not hit snow in California if we stick to hwy 101?

I think I need to start a new topic.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
All this PCH talk has me wanting to bump up our trip to the Rose Parade a year earlier. Hmmm, we cancelled spring, we might have to cancel summer, I have obligations for a couple of months in the fall.

How far north can we go in January and not hit snow in California if we stick to hwy 101?

I think I need to start a new topic.
All the way to Seattle, with just a little luck, especially staying on the Coast. -

But it might just be a Little Daring. -
Old 04-10-2020, 07:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
All the way to Seattle, with just a little luck, especially staying on the Coast. -

But it might just be a Little Daring. -
Define daring.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Define daring.
Daring it’s sorta like Charming - in the eye of the beholder.

I would not have an issue but I’ve graven thru Eisenhower Tunnel in 8” of Snow with no problem........in the Signature Coach.

We all see things differently.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Daring it’s sorta like Charming - in the eye of the beholder.

I would not have an issue but I’ve graven thru Eisenhower Tunnel in 8” of Snow with no problem........in the Signature Coach.

We all see things differently.
LOL, Still trying to get us to Colorado. It won't happen in the winter! I don't do snow and I prefer temperatures above freezing.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:08 AM   #23

Quote:
LOL, Still trying to get us to Colorado. It won't happen in the winter! I don't do snow and I prefer temperatures above freezing.
For the Most part, along the Pacific Ocean on the California Coast, it's a Rain Event - very seldom will you get Snow. -

Weather - just when you think you have it Figured Out......Yup you guessed it - It Changes. -

Yesterday, while talking with my son in Colorado, just between Denver and Boulder - it was 70 - for Easter Sunday and our Grand Twins Birthday it is calling on it being record Cold and Snowy. -

So IMHO, just stay informed and stay within Your Limits -

JMHO,
Old 04-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #24

Agree with what most have said. One thing about that Big Sur section is there are not many places to pull out with RV and toad. The turn outs are fairly small on cliff sides. Have the passenger watch for whales and specifically Killer whales. We have seen many pods of killer whales along that stretch of road. With that said, everyone accept motorcycles, is going slow along the road. Its not a fast road, and the views are incredible. If you are an experienced driver. DO IT... Its beautiful. Yes there will be a few cars upset, and a lot of motorcycles will be passing, but thats the highs and lows of traveling in beautiful locations. Have a great trip.

Walking thru the Santa Cruz boardwalk is fun, can eat out on the pier...

The Sea Elephants in San Simeon are awesome. There is a small dirt parking lot

Lots of places to go wine tasting north of Santa Barbra. Also many low bridges in and around Santa Barbra. Watch for those signs...

Dr Derek DC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monterey