Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #1

Pacific Coast Route?

Heading to Pismo Beach,CA from the San Diego Area, last time we took the freeways through LA not fun. I was thinking of taking the coast hwy 101 and Hwy 1 all the way up. I looked at it on Google earth didn't look too bad. Speed is not a factor for us, any issues to be aware of with a 35' motor home towing a toad? Any advice is appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #2

When I am traveling to a destination North of LA I get up and leave San Diego by about 4:30 AM. This is late enough that the drunks are off the road and early enough that the traffic hasn't built up to it's usual ridiculousness. I've cruised through LA with ease doing this, getting from home to the Grapevine by about 7:00.

AS far as using Rt. 1 I've gone that way on bicycles and motorcycles but I'd be hesitant to do it in an RV - lots of stoplights and gas stations etc. are pretty compact - might be a challenge to get fuel or find a restaurant.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You can take I-5 or the 405 Freeway north from San Diego. Both freeways cross the 101 Freeway. Get on the 101 and it will take you right to Pismo Beach. You won't be getting on Highway 1.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
from san diego to los angeles the 1 is aka Pacific Coast Hwy. You don't want to take that. Stop and go, signals and traffic. I wouldn't do that even in a car.
As don suggested, take the 5 north to either the 405 or stay on the 5 past LA to the 101 then north from there.

Depending on what day of the week you leave, you may want to plan your departure time carefully. I think this week and next traffic will be relatively light due to the holidays.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
from san diego to los angeles the 1 is aka Pacific Coast Hwy. You don't want to take that. Stop and go, signals and traffic. I wouldn't do that even in a car.
As don suggested, take the 5 north to either the 405 or stay on the 5 past LA to the 101 then north from there.

Depending on what day of the week you leave, you may want to plan your departure time carefully. I think this week and next traffic will be relatively light due to the holidays.
Thanks for the information we won't make the trip until the end of January think I might just try the 405 to 101...thanks.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
Heading to Pismo Beach,CA from the San Diego Area, last time we took the freeways through LA not fun. I was thinking of taking the coast hwy 101 and Hwy 1 all the way up. I looked at it on Google earth didn't look too bad. Speed is not a factor for us, any issues to be aware of with a 35' motor home towing a toad? Any advice is appreciated.
rj,
Well Sir, first off, if I was you, I'd hire a jolly green giant, Sikorsky, or Sky crane to get your M/H lifted OVER LOS ANGELES, and have it put down on the beginning of the 101. Seriously, L/A SUCKS, anytime, day or night, 24/7 365. I'm pretty sure I'll never cover that ground again.

Now, as for the 101 and 1, well, the very first thing you're gonna realize is, and this is no real sarcasm, there's probably no less than a few hundred turns on that highway. And they're very tight. Been there done that, TWICE. Both times with a motorcycle towing a trailer. I'll bet I shifted ten thousand times. Anyway, if you like the view of the ocean, you're gonna get your wish. Motorhome folks don't get much appreciation from other drivers on that stretch 'cause you can't get any speed up and, you back up other drivers.

All this is not to dissuade you. It's just to let you know that, while yes, you're on the coast, trying to have a nice trip/vacation but, it's just not that smooth of a drive. People come from all across the U.S. to drive that route and, well, yep, it get's crowded. Good luck and, hopefully you'll have as good of a time as you can.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
rj,
Well Sir, first off, if I was you, I'd hire a jolly green giant, Sikorsky, or Sky crane to get your M/H lifted OVER LOS ANGELES, and have it put down on the beginning of the 101. Seriously, L/A SUCKS, anytime, day or night, 24/7 365. I'm pretty sure I'll never cover that ground again.

Now, as for the 101 and 1, well, the very first thing you're gonna realize is, and this is no real sarcasm, there's probably no less than a few hundred turns on that highway. And they're very tight. Been there done that, TWICE. Both times with a motorcycle towing a trailer. I'll bet I shifted ten thousand times. Anyway, if you like the view of the ocean, you're gonna get your wish. Motorhome folks don't get much appreciation from other drivers on that stretch 'cause you can't get any speed up and, you back up other drivers.

All this is not to dissuade you. It's just to let you know that, while yes, you're on the coast, trying to have a nice trip/vacation but, it's just not that smooth of a drive. People come from all across the U.S. to drive that route and, well, yep, it get's crowded. Good luck and, hopefully you'll have as good of a time as you can.
Scott
The 101 going north from the 405 is fine for motorhomes. I've done it dozens of times to pizmo and beyond, towing and not towing. Traffic can be bad until you drop down into Camarillo/Ventura. Santa Barbara can be slow going as well, but a very pretty drive.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Dutch Star Don is correct. Just a little additional info - 101 and 1 are the same in many places north of Thousand Oaks/Oxnard. In the places where they are not - Hwy 1 is not where you would have a good time traveling in a motorhome and towing. Also - be aware that Hw1 branches off of 101 just north of Gaviota - and takes you to Lompoc. You can get to Pismo Beach via that route, but it is well out of the way and some less than optimal roads. Best route and drive is the 101 - still plenty of beautiful scenery ( at least on the ocean side since the fire) and the road is very good. And BTW - it is gorgeous here at Pismo Beach ( the pier is closed for renovation) hope you enjoy it - I know I do - I live here 4 to 5 months a year.
madmaxx52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #9

Thanks all for the great information.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #10

I have been down to San Diego from the Santa Barbara area several times and stay pretty much with the 101-405-5. Going back north if really slow on 405 I have taken the 10 west to the coast road up to Oxnard then back on 101 there. North of Santa Barbara traffic is not an issue.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm with DaveG39, the drive up PCH from Santa Monica Is easy and scenic, and you avoid the pass on I405. I prefer to avoid Oxnard by taking Las Posas Rd from near Point Mugu North to Hwy 101 in Camarillo. Easy cruise and no Oxnard traffic.

Glenn