RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pagosa Springs to Taos route help

In a 45í tag pulling a Jeep traveling in June and trying to decide the best route.

The first is 84 out of Pagosa, then 64 into Taos. The mountain directory makes the stretch between Tierra Amarilla and Tres Piedras sound a bit sketchy.

The second route that avoids that section is 84 from Pagosa to Chama, then taking 17 to 285, getting back on 64 at Tres Piedras.

The third route takes 64 to 285 to Alamosa and then 160 but itís longer. Wolf creek pass is on this route.

Appreciate guidance from those of you who have driven this already.
Vettesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
160 from Pagosa Springs to Alamosa is easy enough. Wolf Creek is steep on both sides, slow going both up and down. There’s one tunnel (can’t remember exactly where) and the snowslide shed on Wolf Creek, but plenty of clearance for our coach (12’ 10”).

I’ve done this route many times, most recently in our 34’ coach towing a Wrangler JKU. It’s definitely mountain driving so you should be comfortable with that. Depending on when you travel in June there may still be snow creating wet, and possibly icy roads in spots. It’s not too likely, but possible.

I haven’t gone on to Taos via this route so can’t speak to that.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:14 PM   #3

We've done all three routes during our travels with our 40' MH. No issues. You have plenty of power and braking on yours. Take your pick. It just depends what you want to see or stop for.

64 is an easy one. Hwy 17 from Chama through Colorado isn't that easy either.

Wolf Creek Pass isn't that bad but as you stated, it's longer.

There are probably some YouTubes on all those drives. It's amazing how many roads are now on YouTube! Sometimes the curvy roads are driven by motorcyclists because that's what they seek out. Other videos show it speeded up so hard to get the 'real' feeling of the road. Still others have awful music!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We've done all three routes during our travels with our 40' MH. No issues. You have plenty of power and braking on yours. Take your pick. It just depends what you want to see or stop for.

64 is an easy one. Hwy 17 from Chama through Colorado isn't that easy either.

Wolf Creek Pass isn't that bad but as you stated, it's longer.

There are probably some YouTubes on all those drives. It's amazing how many roads are now on YouTube! Sometimes the curvy roads are driven by motorcyclists because that's what they seek out. Other videos show it speeded up so hard to get the 'real' feeling of the road. Still others have awful music!

Thanks Twogypsies. If we took the 160 / 285 route we could stop at the great sand dunes National park and cross that off the list. Anyplace near there you can recommend for a couple nights?
Old 12-21-2020, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettesniper View Post
Thanks Twogypsies. If we took the 160 / 285 route we could stop at the great sand dunes National park and cross that off the list. Anyplace near there you can recommend for a couple nights?
Good idea. This may help. Also, each national park has a wonderful web site to explore for things to do, current road info, special alerts, maps. Check this out:

https://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvis...ampgrounds.htm
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #6

I've done 84/64 through Chama multiple times. Nice easy route.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:03 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I had a son in Alamosa and all the routes are doable with an RV, I pull a 36ft 5W. Wolf Creek can be unpredictable, Oct. 2019 no snow predicted, E/B 4" by the time I hit the summit.

Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:32 AM   #8

We have stayed at Cool Sunshine RV Park in Alamosa. Close to Sand Dunes NP.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Just outside of town& quite, Base Camp RV newer park off 160 .https://www.basecampfamilycampground.com/
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:50 AM   #10

Think TwoGypsies has it covered - we enjoyed a couple hours there in 2020 - in the Summer it is Hot and Crowded - but - felt the Grands needed to see it - we have been in the late Fall/Winter and enjoyed it while it was cool and less crowded, lucky to have interacted with a Ranger, finding his origins and history story memorable. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...k_and_Preserve

Plan this part of the trip, as the drive from Sand Dunes to Taos is sort of lonesome, as I recall. Taos was just not My cup of tea - guess I've been spoiled by Colorado and all the Options in the Rockies there.

Sounds like a great Trip, Only advice is to Try to catch Colorado and the Aspen if not this year then Next (I'd do 21 and22 both as they are special) I missed them until 2009 when we flew out and did Independence Pass and Aspen and Maroon Bells - got really Lucky that year and we have made it most years since. In 2020 after spending the entire Summer out West we returned home only to return to Colorado to enjoy the Aspen in the Mountains. Just the Best.

Links to help you - Encourage You - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg

While many feel that they need to visit in only the Summer we have found that September on, is Prime Time - Crowds begin to thin out - weather is more favorable - little need for A/C - so Boondocking is just Easy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=colo...ih=464&biw=994

Be sure to share your adventures as you go forward - We all enjoy a few Images as you travel.

Best of Luck,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colorado-Images-CR-5-in-the-San-Juan-Mountains.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	312377  
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Think TwoGypsies has it covered - we enjoyed a couple hours there in 2020 - in the Summer it is Hot and Crowded - but - felt the Grands needed to see it - we have been in the late Fall/Winter and enjoyed it while it was cool and less crowded, lucky to have interacted with a Ranger, finding his origins and history story memorable. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...k_and_Preserve

Plan this part of the trip, as the drive from Sand Dunes to Taos is sort of lonesome, as I recall. Taos was just not My cup of tea - guess I've been spoiled by Colorado and all the Options in the Rockies there.

Sounds like a great Trip, Only advice is to Try to catch Colorado and the Aspen if not this year then Next (I'd do 21 and22 both as they are special) I missed them until 2009 when we flew out and did Independence Pass and Aspen and Maroon Bells - got really Lucky that year and we have made it most years since. In 2020 after spending the entire Summer out West we returned home only to return to Colorado to enjoy the Aspen in the Mountains. Just the Best.

Links to help you - Encourage You - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg

While many feel that they need to visit in only the Summer we have found that September on, is Prime Time - Crowds begin to thin out - weather is more favorable - little need for A/C - so Boondocking is just Easy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=colo...ih=464&biw=994

Be sure to share your adventures as you go forward - We all enjoy a few Images as you travel.

Best of Luck,

The 2022 trip to Yellowstone is better timing to catch the aspens on the return to Florida. Will definitely make it a priority after your enticing photo!

Tags
route