Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #1

Smile Palm Desert CA to Grand Canyon

I live in Palm Desert CA and I'm taking my granddaughter to the Grand Canyon. My current plan is to go east on I-10 to exit 192, then pick up CA-177, to CA-62, to CA-95. Then I pick up I-40 at Needles.

I'm driving a gas Tiffin Allegro 31 SA. When I zoom down onto the map these routes all look fine but I'm a bit nervous since I've never driven them before.

Does anyone have experience with this route? Are there any pitfalls or things I should look out for? Would it be better to continue on I-10 to Blythe and then take CA-95 fron there?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
pbascom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #2

Been a long time since I traveled any of the route in CA except for the I-40 in the Needles area. The only thing I can say is ; make sure you don't need fuel in Needles ; I'm sure it's the most expensive in the state. Junction of I-40 and AZ-95 is 21 miles down the road and prices will be about $1 a gallon less.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've traveled the I10, 177, 62, 95 to I40 dozens of times 1st in a 32ft coach with toad, then a 35ft coach with toad. Never had any troubles on that route. You will hit light traffic in Parker and moderate traffic in Lake Havasu City, the rest is an easy cruise. You wont get within 20 miles of Needles on that route.

Glenn
Old 06-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #4

In unknowen territory and in desert areas, drive on the top 1/2 of your tank. Fuel isn't close.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's only 140 miles to Parker AZ, plenty of fueling places. A few more miles gets you to Lake Havasu City and 200 miles your at I40 and a Loves, Pilot and a Chevron. If you leave Palm Desert with a full tank, fuel should not be a problem.

Glenn
Old 06-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbascom View Post
I live in Palm Desert CA and I'm taking my granddaughter to the Grand Canyon. My current plan is to go east on I-10 to exit 192, then pick up CA-177, to CA-62, to CA-95. Then I pick up I-40 at Needles.

I'm driving a gas Tiffin Allegro 31 SA. When I zoom down onto the map these routes all look fine but I'm a bit nervous since I've never driven them before.

Does anyone have experience with this route? Are there any pitfalls or things I should look out for? Would it be better to continue on I-10 to Blythe and then take CA-95 fron there?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
I live in Yucca Valley. We take 62-95 to get to 40 and I don't think it would present any issues. 177-62 will be less strain on the rig than 10-62, but I don't know of any fuel stops. We usually fill up here in Yucca Valley and are good for a days travel. Granted I drive a diesel so I normally look for truck stops. There's a Loves on Arizona 95 or if you can make it the 250 miles to Kingman I'm sure you'll find something there.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It appears there is a little confusion here, there are two "95's" that parallel each other in the Blythe to Needles area. In CA there is US95 and in AZ there is AZ95. In the OP's route, US95 is between Blythe, CA and Needles, CA where AZ95 is between Quartzsite, AZ and I-40 and goes through Parker and Lake Havasu.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are correct Dennis, I should have cautioned no to turn onto US 95 at Vidal Junction.

Glenn
Old 06-22-2016, 04:11 PM   #9

Smile thanks to all

I'm the OP and want to thank everyone for all the great advice. I got a little confused about the 2 different 95s but then I realized 62 intersects with both of them. I think I'm going to take the AZ95 route just because it looks to be a bit more populated and heck I've never been through there and I'd like to see it. So the plan is CA 177 to 62 to AZ95 to I40. Going to spend the night in Kingman then it's a short ride to Tusayan. I know the campground there is not the best but it's the only game in town when you don't book 6 months out!

Thanks to all again. The help was greatly appreciated!
pbascom is offline   Reply With Quote