Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #1

Passport America no good in the summer

Anyone ever notice that Passport America is not useful in the summer--at least not in any desirable locations? We haven't bought ours yet this year because we are getting a late start moving out of Branson where our 5er has been parked in a mobile home park for 18 months. (We've been back and forth in the truck to our Houston home.) Our end game is Oregon and should have been out there the end of May but we found we needed new tires all the way around on the trailer as well as replacing the aluminum rims this rig was furnished with back in 2006--some of them are leaking so I say replace them all, don't fool around with that. That was a bit of a hit in the wallet so we thought we'd wait for more income. Hardly mattered as far as PA discounts though because most places stop taking them by the end of May anyway. We are planning to boondock as much as possible I like to consider myself a free spirit but I wanted to feather my bed with a sure thing if the boondocking didn't go as desired. But now doesn't seem to make sense with very few parks are taking it anyway. What else is there?
wanderwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #2

Same for Florida in the winter. It's hit and miss. Some give the discount during week and some don't give it at all.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #3

That's normal. The idea behind PA is to get discounts when times are slow for the campgrounds. That usually rules out summer and weekends. OTOH if you get a few nights the rest of the year you come out a winner. Most of us do at least some shoulder season travel so it works.

There is not much else. Peak season is when the parks make their money and we donate or stay home. The next best thing is 10% for Sam's, AAA, or whatever else they have.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When our Passport America subscription expires, we dont renew it until we are going to stay in a park that accepts PA for at least part of the time we are there.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Supply and Demand....

When we travel in the summer, I generally use Good Sams as my stopping overnight guide, However when we travel in the fall and winter, we use the Passport America guide to find stops.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always ask if passport America will be accepted even if inside the CG's published restrictions. They will sometimes say yes, if they have room and want some money rather than no money.

Even though there are time restrictions, PA is still a good deal. One only has to use it a couple three nights a year to more than pay for itself.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I always ask if passport America will be accepted even if inside the CG's published restrictions. They will sometimes say yes, if they have room and want some money rather than no money.

Even though there are time restrictions, PA is still a good deal. One only has to use it a couple three nights a year to more than pay for itself.
I totally agree with the above statements. We had no problems with using it.

Most restrictions of for the three major holidays and some for weekends.

I just took a peek at those in Colorado and the five or so I looked at do allow summer stays and those were in prime areas.

Keep in mind that using it a couple times pays for the year's membership. It's especially good for retirees who are on a flexible schedule and full-timers.

We mainly used public parks and gorgeous boondocking spots but when we wanted a RV park for various reasons we used Passport America. We don't need 'resorts' or a lot of amenities and activities so it worked for us.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #8

Yeah we are looking for fancy either but all listed in Oregon right now aren't taking PA. It's just frustrating when trying to plan for ppl who are 1) still new at this, 2) like planning ahead.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:48 AM   #9

I'll try that. Yes it will pay for itself in just a couple of nights. One thing is we plan to stay in Oregon until winter so wouldn't be using it much all year. It's frustrating.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #10

[QUOTE=nothermark;3109425]That's normal. The idea behind PA is to get discounts when times are slow for the campgrounds. That usually rules out summer and weekends. OTOH if you get a few nights the rest of the year you come out a winner. Most of us do at least some shoulder season travel so it works.

I realize this but it still must have some advantage for us travelers. I mean, we have rolled up to hotels during off-peak seasons and bargained for a better deal than Expedia was offering for instance. I'll bet it's the same for an RV park, any of them will give a off-peak discount without PA rather than have an empty spot. Am I willing to bet on that, rolling in with a 37 foot 5er in tow? Not really.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #11

We find this to be a good value, and even if some parks in some region don't workout for us, we're still money ahead.

We're going to spend the a week in a park over the 4th of July Weekend, in the Black Hills region of South Dakota. No restrictions, and for that region, a real value.

I find that when I cross reference where we've traveled for the year, with where Thousand Trails or their affiliated parks are located, that usually it is only in the Western states that we'd have benefited. We've joined family members as guests in three TT's in the west now - and they were all really rundown and just warn out looking. (Though my friends told me that one of the parks have started to do a 'refresh', so maybe this will continue elsewhere.)

We've also found that though they're not prevalent, that Escapees related parks are also a good value.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We've been on the road since May 19 and have travelled from FL to NC to CO to WY and have used it at least half the time. I just figured out I've saved $150 so far with it this trip. Just did three out of four days in Loveland CO using it to save $25 per night.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:04 PM   #13

Check out Harvest Host to. They were very useful in northern ÇA, and the PNW.
We also use our Escapee discount. Never met a restriction
Our PA fills in the other spots
Nothing is perfect. Always ask if the can honor it especially during the week
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:54 AM   #14

[QUOTE=wanderwoman;3110524]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
That's normal. The idea behind PA is to get discounts when times are slow for the campgrounds. That usually rules out summer and weekends. OTOH if you get a few nights the rest of the year you come out a winner. Most of us do at least some shoulder season travel so it works.

I realize this but it still must have some advantage for us travelers. I mean, we have rolled up to hotels during off-peak seasons and bargained for a better deal than Expedia was offering for instance. I'll bet it's the same for an RV park, any of them will give a off-peak discount without PA rather than have an empty spot. Am I willing to bet on that, rolling in with a 37 foot 5er in tow? Not really.
Reality for us at a lot of places we used PA off season was that we had a hard time finding the owner to get to register so it would be interesting trying to bargain.

The real point of PA is that the bargaining is already done, the places that will do it are listed and the price is low enough that if we use it a couple of times a year we are a winner over cost. That is enough for most of us. If you want to do it all by yourself then go for it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote