Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2022, 01:27 PM   #1

Pensacola FL to Kalispell MT

We are newbies driving a new 36 ft gas tiffin up and West this summer to Kalispell area. May also be towing a car on a trailer, thinking we would do 300 miles a day or so. I saw suggestions up through Texarkana, we would also like to avoid New Orleans but would welcome suggestions. Likely 3 day stints then pop into a park to refill tanks and dispose of trash etc. would be fine given tank sizes etc. CHEERS
Deemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2022, 01:28 PM   #2

Also thinking RV Trip Wizard is the one to go with for routing etc
Deemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 02:42 PM   #3

We are getting our “road legs” (not sea legs) under us as well. 300 highway miles at 65 is just over 4 hours or me. Our last average mph trip was at 50 mph, and is 6 hrs.

My plan is to go as far in one 4 hr stint as I feel like. Take breaks and walk the dogs.

But it’s a all a work in progress and I expect will change as time goes by.

Trip wizard is good and I use it for planning. But try it around town in your car. For me it would freeze my iPhone, not something you want to happen in your RV.

Congratulations by the way, Happy Trails.

Regards

2022 Kountry Star 3412
Jeep Wrangler
FloridaSon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:09 AM   #4

Unless the road has deteriorated, I've found I-90 a great way to get to the northwest so I would pick a good way north from Pensacola to I-90 such as US-45, I-20, I-55, Memphis by-pass, I-55, St louis by-pass, I-70, KC by-pass, I-29, I-90. From East TN, I pick up I-55 in Cape Girardeau and go from there.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:22 AM   #5

We have done DFW to Pensacola a bunch. Take I-10 to Mobile, loop around Mobile either direction buy stay off Government St., the tunnel is too low, then 98 to Hattiesburg, 49 to Jackson, I-20 to Shreveport, then you can take I-49 to Texarkana.
There is a nice KOA Journey in Shreveport on W 10th st.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:38 AM   #6

I-20 thru La. and Ms. are horrible.
Ask me how I know.

Mike in Colorado
Old 06-21-2022, 02:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
We have done DFW to Pensacola a bunch. Take I-10 to Mobile, loop around Mobile either direction buy stay off Government St., the tunnel is too low, then 98 to Hattiesburg, 49 to Jackson, I-20 to Shreveport, then you can take I-49 to Texarkana.
There is a nice KOA Journey in Shreveport on W 10th st.
Ditto - Except we stay on I-10 through Mobile (unlike Gov. St., the I-10 tunnel is plenty big). Apparently there can be backups at the tunnel at times, but we have always managed to avoid rush hour and backups.
avid108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:58 AM   #8

You're talking about a nearly 5,000-mile round trip here in a vehicle that will get an average of 7-8 miles per gallon of gasoline. With fuel prices being what they are today, plus the cost of renting campgrounds for overnight stays, plus food and misc. expenses... Are you prepared for the cost of this trip?

Perhaps you should try something a bit less adventurous for your first attempt at traveling in an RV.
1JetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
I-20 thru La. and Ms. are horrible.
Ask me how I know.

Mike in Colorado
I totally agree. Even the bypass around Shreveport is bad. Not pothole bad but every concrete seam is a bump. Every 20'.
Mississippi has repaved most of 49 just south of Jackson though. Only about 2 more miles to go to get to I-20.

I think I-20 in Ms. and La. is not bad until you get to the cities (Jackson,Monroe,Shreveport), then it's bad.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemax View Post
We are newbies driving a new 36 ft gas tiffin up and West this summer to Kalispell area. May also be towing a car on a trailer, thinking we would do 300 miles a day or so. I saw suggestions up through Texarkana, we would also like to avoid New Orleans but would welcome suggestions. Likely 3 day stints then pop into a park to refill tanks and dispose of trash etc. would be fine given tank sizes etc. CHEERS
Wow, you're jumping into the deep end right off!

You're looking at about 2500 miles and a 7 to 10 day trip. If you can add a day or two break along the way it might be more enjoyable trip. If you're going back to Pensacola take a look at two different routes. Over the years we have averaged 50MPH overall, (Fuel, Potty, Breaks, Lunch, ect.) and pretty consistently a 300 mile day is around 6 hours.

Google Maps is usually my starting process for a trip. I plug in A and B then start playing with it. I decide if I like the suggested route and start tweaking and adding stops as needed. For example where is your first night going to be and does that help you with your second night and so on. Does weather play into it?

It will be an adventure, have fun.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:26 AM   #11

I live in western Louisiana, and have done the drive to / from Montana and Wyoming 3 times in the last decade, including helping an old friend who was moving from Baton Rouge to Missoula, MT drive a U-haul truck there in under 4 days (left Louisiana on a Monday morning, arrived in Missoula 2,200 miles away at 9 am on a Thursday). Based on an amalgamation of these trips the route I would take if I were to do it again is:

I-49 to Texarkana
82/287 to Amarillo
287 on to Limon, CO (A whole lot of nothing on this 300 miles of road)
skirt around Denver as best as possible and take either I-25 or US85 into Cheyenne

I-25 to I-90 on to Missoula
93 on up to Kalispel driving by Flathead lake.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post

I-49 to Texarkana
82/287 to Amarillo
287 on to Limon, CO (A whole lot of nothing on this 300 miles of road)
skirt around Denver as best as possible and take either I-25 or US85 into Cheyenne

I-25 to I-90 on to Missoula
93 on up to Kalispel driving by Flathead lake.
We stayed in the Texarkana RV Park on the southwest side of Texarkana. It is a good place for an overnight stop.

On TX 287, we use Old Towne Cotton Gin RV Park, just north of Quanah, TX. It is 360 miles from Texarkana.

It's been several years, but we have camped at the Lymon KOA in Limon, CO. It's an older park at an interstate intersection. There are Restuarants nearby. It was OK for an overnight stop.

Like the previous poster said, avoid Denver!

The Douglas Jacklope KOA in Douglas, WY is a good campground.

Buffalo Bluff RV park in cody, WY is newish. It is well laid out and the facilities are good, but the sites are packed in tight (as often found near the major attractions).

Big Timber KOA in Greycliff, Montana is very nice. We have stayed the several times.

If Big timer KOA is full, Cheif Joesph Park, in Harlowton, Montana is a good alternative. Payment is on the honor sytem and it is reasonable.

From Big Timber, Montana, US 191- US 87 - US 89- I-15 (just a few miles), US 2 is a great route to GNP.

We stayed in Kalispell at Montana Basecamp RV Park. It is new and is built first class. We picked it because they made a last minute decision to visit GNP and they had space. It is about 40 minutes to the park gate.

We have also stayed at North American RV park, close to the west gate of GNP. We liked it there too, but you need to make your reservations early.

If you are in Kallispell and have a day to do something, visit Kootenai Fall, off US 2, near the Idaho border. It is a fabulous spot, is seldom crowded, and is free.

Highway 93 from I-90 is an excellent route to GNP.

Regarding the trip cost, ignore the naysayers, at least if you are like me. I don't have a lot of money, but I have less time. It is the curse of our society that you can't do things like travel across country until you are old and retired.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:50 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Regarding the trip cost, ignore the naysayers, at least if you are like me. I don't have a lot of money, but I have less time. It is the curse of our society that you can't do things like travel across country until you are old and retired.
I Concur on the Route and and the time left on our individual's clock.. GO Fer IT!
[side note,, for freebie overnights.. the rest ares & the Truckstops in TX, Wyo & MT will allow an overnight. some even have a dump station available..
Happy Trails
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JetDoc View Post

Perhaps you should try something a bit less adventurous for your first attempt at traveling in an RV.
By the time they've traveled a couple days they'll be pros! One could have issues the first 100 miles.... or never.

In another post they are considering being full-timers so they have to get used to traveling!

I say stick with your plans.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote