RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2021, 12:37 PM   #1

Pensacola to San Diego

Planning on picking up my RV, finally, from Pensacola and dragging it back to San Diego. I have a few things that I am taking care of prior to pickup, but I want to run it past you all in order to make sure I am not missing anything major and or missing things that will my life easier. Things I have done in preparation:
-Trip planned using RVTRIPWIZARD. I have allowed for several stops and made sure that fuel is accounted for. Right now planning on 6 day trip to haul RV (approx. 400 mile legs). Trying to utilize pull through only sites. **Also toying with idea of parking lot camping for overnights but would like input from you all before committing.
-Replaced all factory tires with Goodyear Endurance.
-Bought 2.5” drop shank to not utilize shank adapter and to level trailer. The taller truck caused trailer to tow nose high on last tow. Have not had a chance to level trailer to new truck correctly.
-Taking off 14 days to allow for buffer for my 9 day planned trip.
-Bought Air pump and tire jack (you can tell I am worried about blow outs)
-Plan on bringing all of the tools I used to service the RV when I lived in it to deal with any outstanding issues.

Outstanding questions:
-Should I get:
1. road side assistance?
2. a generator and dry camp where able?
3. a rear camera?
4. a TPMS system?

-Aside from RV living basics is there anything TOW related that are a must?

Tow Setup:
- TT – 2020 Keystone Bullet 330BHS length: 37’ 8”/ weight: 8600 lbs. GVWR/ height: 10’ 11”.
- TV – 2019 Ford F250 6.7 XLT standard bed (2456 lbs. Payload)
- Hitch- EAZ LIFT 48054 1400 lbs.

I am really excited but also nervous since this is my first major haul and want to avoid any risk to myself, anyone else, or the RV. If anyone has made this trip or done a similar expedited trip, your inputs and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking to explore or really enjoy my experience other than being on the open road and bringing adventure back to my family.

Cheers!
lifeisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #2

I would definitely get Roadside Assistance and a TPMS.

Driving 400 miles a day is very ambitious. Are you a long haul trucker, then no problem. Driving the RV is not like driving a car. Much more stressful and tiring. Be prepared to decrease the distance if needed.

I don't know anything about tires any more but I am sure someone will chime in. There are probably a better alternative to the Goodyears at less $$

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:22 PM   #3

Outstanding questions:
-Should I get:

1. road side assistance?

Check if you can add it onto your vehicle insurance - less costly

How are you going to use this trailer after you get it to San Diego? If you think you'll be doing a lot of camping without hookups then a generator would be good. No need to buy one if it's only for this trip. Also, don't get a huge, NOISY, industrial generator. You won't be welcome in campgrounds.

3. a rear camera?

Not needed for this one trip. Decide later if you're going to continue moving around and do some camping. You didn't state if the trailer will be in a stationary place in San Diego.

4. a TPMS system?

Nice but not needed for this one trip since you bought all new tires. (We traveled to Alaska on new tires without issues. Yes, you could run over something but the likelihood isn't great)

400 miles a day is a long drive for one driver. Is anyone else going to be with you? It's a straight shot to San Diego on the interstate so you won't get lost.

WalMart stops are definitely recommended if you're not going to do any siteseeing.

Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Outstanding questions:
-Should I get:

1. road side assistance?

Check if you can add it onto your vehicle insurance - less costly

How are you going to use this trailer after you get it to San Diego? If you think you'll be doing a lot of camping without hookups then a generator would be good. No need to buy one if it's only for this trip. Also, don't get a huge, NOISY, industrial generator. You won't be welcome in campgrounds.

3. a rear camera?

Not needed for this one trip. Decide later if you're going to continue moving around and do some camping. You didn't state if the trailer will be in a stationary place in San Diego.

4. a TPMS system?

Nice but not needed for this one trip since you bought all new tires. (We traveled to Alaska on new tires without issues. Yes, you could run over something but the likelihood isn't great)

400 miles a day is a long drive for one driver. Is anyone else going to be with you? It's a straight shot to San Diego on the interstate so you won't get lost.

WalMart stops are definitely recommended if you're not going to do any siteseeing.

Have a good trip!

2. I plan on doing quite a bit of dry camping out in the deserts here. We really enjoy being completely off grid but wasn't sure if I should acquire a generator before this trip. I have been looking into the quietest possible but also able to run a 15000 BTU AC.

3. It will be in storage in San Diego with a lot of foreseeable usage.

I will have another person with me so I hope that helps with the long distance. I am trying to make a Hail Mary run but mostly because we are excited to get this thing back to the family to start using.

I really appreciate the feedback.
lifeisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #5

Unless I missed it, you didn't mention a WDH with sway bar that you may need.

Regarding a generator, rather than buying a large 3500, buy two 2k generator and a parallel cord. Each only weighs about 50# so much easier to handle. Most often one is only needed to power all your daily needs. Connecting the two parallel can power your ac.

Best of luck.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:51 AM   #6

I highly suggest all four of the items listed, especially the TPMS. I have seen many people do major damage by having a flat and not knowing it.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisbear View Post
Planning on picking up my RV, finally, from Pensacola and dragging it back to San Diego. I have a few things that I am taking care of prior to pickup, but I want to run it past you all in order to make sure I am not missing anything major and or missing things that will my life easier. Things I have done in preparation:
-Trip planned using RVTRIPWIZARD. I have allowed for several stops and made sure that fuel is accounted for. Right now planning on 6 day trip to haul RV (approx. 400 mile legs). Trying to utilize pull through only sites. **Also toying with idea of parking lot camping for overnights but would like input from you all before committing.
-Replaced all factory tires with Goodyear Endurance.
-Bought 2.5” drop shank to not utilize shank adapter and to level trailer. The taller truck caused trailer to tow nose high on last tow. Have not had a chance to level trailer to new truck correctly.
-Taking off 14 days to allow for buffer for my 9 day planned trip.
-Bought Air pump and tire jack (you can tell I am worried about blow outs)
-Plan on bringing all of the tools I used to service the RV when I lived in it to deal with any outstanding issues.

Outstanding questions:
-Should I get:
1. road side assistance?
3. a rear camera?
4. a TPMS system?

-Aside from RV living basics is there anything TOW related that are a must?

Tow Setup:
- TT – 2020 Keystone Bullet 330BHS length: 37’ 8”/ weight: 8600 lbs. GVWR/ height: 10’ 11”.
- TV – 2019 Ford F250 6.7 XLT standard bed (2456 lbs. Payload)
- Hitch- EAZ LIFT 48054 1400 lbs.

I am really excited but also nervous since this is my first major haul and want to avoid any risk to myself, anyone else, or the RV. If anyone has made this trip or done a similar expedited trip, your inputs and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking to explore or really enjoy my experience other than being on the open road and bringing adventure back to my family.

Cheers!
Big thing is watch your fuel, especially across Texas. Eastern half no problems with getting fuel. but from San Antonio to El Paso, it is just over 600 miles, with very, very, very few fuel stops.
From San Antonio to Fort Stockton it is around 300 miles, Ft. Stockton to El Paso it is 300 miles.
Leaving San Antonio stop in Junction to top off fuel while heading to Ft. Stockton.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote