RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #1

Phx to Mountain Home Arkansas, camps and route suggestions

29' class C with tow vehicle. Leaving 2nd week in October.

Looking for suggestions on RV parks preferably with fishing close by that we can stop at while on our way across NM, Texas, and Oklahoma and into Mountain Home/Midway Arkansas.

I hear there's some good fishing on the San Juan river in NM but not sure if there are any places near I40 or if we need to detour up to Northern NM to fish, then back down to I40 to continue on eastward.

Never been in Texas or Oklahoma so don't really know what's there along the I40 and I44 routes to Arkansas.

Thinking the weather across the states shouldn't be to bad this time of the year, hoping we don't run into snow.

ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2017, 09:53 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I live in Mountain Home. I'm assuming you know this area and don't need suggestions here. The lakes are still flooded from this past spring so most of the COE Parks are very limited.

I40 through New Mexico goes by a number of good lakes and towns, but camping sites are hard to find.

If you stop in Amarillo, stay at Oasis RV and take a side trip to Palo Duro Canyon. There are a number of streams through there, but I have no idea about the fishing.

If you are looking for a good guide service in Arkansas, call Jamie at Hurst Fishing Service and tell him I sent you. There are several good RV parks in Cotter right on the White River.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
I live in Mountain Home. I'm assuming you know this area and don't need suggestions here. The lakes are still flooded from this past spring so most of the COE Parks are very limited.

I40 through New Mexico goes by a number of good lakes and towns, but camping sites are hard to find.

If you stop in Amarillo, stay at Oasis RV and take a side trip to Palo Duro Canyon. There are a number of streams through there, but I have no idea about the fishing.

If you are looking for a good guide service in Arkansas, call Jamie at Hurst Fishing Service and tell him I sent you. There are several good RV parks in Cotter right on the White River.
I am actually visiting my brother who lives in Midway but I know its close to Mountain Home. He doesn't RV and knows nothing about where I might stay other than "there's lots of places". Thanks for the info.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
One question before I make recommendations, is Television important. Some local places by the white river don't pick up any over the air channels and no one has cable.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
White River Bull Shoals State Park is the best close to Midway, but the have few weekend openings, there is a COE park in Lakeview that is mostly first come first served, but always has availability this time of year. It is very nice, and you can get television as you aren't in a valley. More expensive are the two private parks in Cotter. Both are nice, but no TV. There are a couple of terrible places too, so let me know what you are thinking prior to paying anything.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #6

Don't really need TV or cable we bring our own movies and as long as we have water and electric we're ok. We'll be there for at least a week maybe a little more.
Just checked the White River state park and looks like they're booked up solid unless they take walk-in's then we might get lucky but hate to find out at the last minute we don't have a place to stay, so thinking we need a place we can make reservations. Really appreciate all your help.
We'll be out running around visiting, trips to Branson and fishing etc but would still like to come home to a nice place in the evenings.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #7

[QUOTE=BuzzWolfAR;3793526]White River Bull Shoals State Park is the best close to Midway, but the have few weekend openings, there is a COE park in Lakeview that is mostly first come first served, but always has availability this time of year. It is very nice, and you can get television as you aren't in a valley. More expensive are the two private parks in Cotter. Both are nice, but no TV. There are a couple of terrible places too, so let me know what you are thinking prior to paying anything.[/Q

I just learned that both Oklahoma and Texas have toll roads. Any chance you would know of one toll booth paying system that will work in both states. I emailed Okl and of coarse they can't tell me. Hoping that you've left Ark and have driven that route on I415 and I44 etc.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Oklahoma tolls are only like $2.50. We take 62/412 the whole was from Tulsa. Only 2 tolls if I remember correctly. I've never paid a toll on Texas. I use I40 through Amarillo. The tolls Oklahoma take cash, and the road had no waiting in line.

Is easy, don't overthink this trip. You are in the country, life is simple here.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
Oklahoma tolls are only like $2.50. We take 62/412 the whole was from Tulsa. Only 2 tolls if I remember correctly. I've never paid a toll on Texas. I use I40 through Amarillo. The tolls Oklahoma take cash, and the road had no waiting in line.

Is easy, don't overthink this trip. You are in the country, life is simple here.
Outstanding, thank you very much!

Tags
arkansas