RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #1

Pig Trail Arkansas 43' Foot Towing

We'd like to drive the Pig Trail in Arkansas but not sure it is a viable road for a 43' class A towing. Anyone with experience they can share? TIA
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
There are several hairpin turns that are going to make navigation difficult. You absolutely will have to go wide blindly into the other lane into these to make the corner.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #3

Done it on a motorcycle.. very tight hairpin turns.. I don't think I would do it with my 40ft MH. Might have to back up to make the turn. And you might really tick off some motorcyclist that cant get around you.. Watch some videos on You Tube and check it out..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:12 AM   #4

Here's a YouTube. There are more. It's a popular motorcycle ride and they would absolutely hate riding behind you.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:11 PM   #5

I wouldn't

We made the mistake of driving it just with our truck and no camper a couple of years ago. OMG. There are so many motorcycles and some just poke along or suddenly decide to stop. If there's a group, they are sorta spread out all over the place pulling off and on and what-not. We couldn't wait to get off it. We would not tow our camper on it. It is beautiful.
BillyandKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:49 PM   #6

Thanks for feedback everybody and the video. We’ve decided to spend a couple of days in the area and enjoy the drive in our tow car.
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:41 PM   #7

I’ve towed 26’ bumper pull trailers down it with my pickup, no big deal. And driven the motor home pulling a 22’ car hauler. But a 40’ MH would be very snug.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I did it with a 36ft raptor bumper pull with a long bed dually. Wont do it again. Went to a 43 ft toy hauler and never even thought about doing it. My map has that road crossed out for our 45 ft Class A and toad. Lots hair pin turns and blind corners. No I would not recommend it.
jwprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #9

We are in Eureka Springs, headed to Broken Bow tomorrow with my long bed GMC and 37' fiver. I was planning to take AR 23. Didn't even know it was called the Pig Trail. Thought I'd check the forum to see if there was any info. Glad I did. I guess we'll be going through Fayetteville and Ft. Smith instead. Wish I had my Indian Roadmaster with me. Sounds like fun!
Jet2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:06 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am Alumnus of ( University of Arkansas Fayetteville); I went to school there long before the Interstate and Tunnel was an option; I barely made it in my compact Buick Skyhawk Back then it was not that popular for motorcycles because of the traffic. It was sooooooo pig sooooie bad, that we could not play football games at night because so many people would be attempting to drive back to the more populous parts of the state, i.e Little Rock.

They built the Interstate for a reason and you will still get some spectacular views and very colorful now. Be prepared for one tunnel. It is not that long but I turn off my gas (Fridge). If you wish to camp near Fayetteville, go to the Hog RV Resort. I admit I have not travel the world yet ; but it is new and the cleanest RV Campsite we have seen, most all sites have pull throughs and 30/50 power If there was any downside, it is the trees are still growing.
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:16 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet2RV View Post
We are in Eureka Springs, headed to Broken Bow tomorrow with my long bed GMC and 37' fiver. I was planning to take AR 23. Didn't even know it was called the Pig Trail. Thought I'd check the forum to see if there was any info. Glad I did. I guess we'll be going through Fayetteville and Ft. Smith instead. Wish I had my Indian Roadmaster with me. Sounds like fun!
The actually have a Pig Trail Harley Davidson dealership in Rogers so you can buy one and ride through

More details on the Pig Trails, learned a few things that I didn't even know.

The “Pig Trail” is the name of a winding, mountainous byway between Fayetteville (Washington County) and Ozark (Franklin County), one used for decades by students from the University of Arkansas (UA) in Fayetteville and sports fans. A driver following the route travels on State Highway 16 southeast from Fayetteville just past Greasy Creek in Madison County to a junction called Brashears Switch, then turns right on the southbound State Highway 23 to Ozark and the intersection with U.S. Highway 64—some fifty-two miles. The Pig Trail Scenic Byway is a nineteen-mile stretch of this road located in the heart of the Boston Mountains, running through Ozark National Forest and over the Mulberry River. Today’s traveler is more likely to use the Pig Trail for leisure and recreation than for point-to-point transportation.

Possible origins of the name “Pig Trail” are many. Near the junction with the Mulberry River, it was not unusual in times past to see roaming pigs, both feral and domesticated, as Ozark farmers once considered the forest as open range for fattening their shoats and hogs. Whether the road was named for these hogs, its resemblance to a curly pig’s tail, UA’s Razorbacks football team, or some combination of the three remains unclear.

UA students declared “Let’s take the Pig Trail!” as they planned a weekend visit to Little Rock (Pulaski County) or elsewhere in central Arkansas, especially before Interstate 40 was fully opened in 1975. The Pig Trail at the time was an alternate route—narrow, tree shrouded, tiny shouldered, curvy, steep in places, and utterly devoid of franchise eateries, liquor stores, or other stops except for widely spaced “mom and pop” gas stations. The standard route of travel between Fayetteville and Little Rock wound down the mountain on U.S. Highway 71 to Alma (Crawford County), whereupon the eastbound traveler engaged U.S. Highway 64 all the way into the capital city. While these U.S. highways were two-lane roads before Interstate 40 and what is now Interstate 49were completed, they were concrete with wide bridges and roadside amenities. By contrast, Highways 16 and 23 had been paved by 1936, but just barely, with what locals called a “seal job.” That consisted of a gravel bed with bitumen sprayed on top to create a hard surface. “Secondary” was the Arkansas Department of Transportation’s term for such road treatments.

Motorcycle magazines have called attention to the Pig Trail as a fitting excursion for those who want to combine the picturesque and the sublime. Noted Arkansas outdoor photographer Matt Bradley once lay on his stomach in the road, camera ready, awaiting bikers to get the perfect shot of them on the Pig Trail. He succeeded as the motorcycles roared past him, and the photo was published in his book Arkansas: Its Land and People.
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arkansas, tow, towing