Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #15

Be advised, that as the driver you will not see much of the beauty. The road is almost exclusively switch backs, one right after another, and requires your full attention in order to avoid a head on collision. Now, that being said, it would be a gas flogging your bug up that road, and you wouldn't mind missing the scenery.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #16

take a warm jacket. it is windy and cold on top.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
While in the area, be sure to drive around Pikes Peak and on to Cripple Creek. Beautiful scenery and less crowded than I-25. Great museums, a small railroad and a mine tour. Stay at the KOA there. Then go down the mountains to the Royal Gorge. If going in early summer, book a raft trip down the Arkansas as we will have a great run-off from all of the snow.
this is what we did the last time we went. had a great time. also coming down pike's watch your brakes and if you 4x4 use low range. they will stop and check your brake temps
Old 04-09-2019, 02:00 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Got me a bit concerned about the altitude sickness. We won’t have too much time to get acclimated. Driving up in the car not the cog.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:38 AM   #19

Equipment is ordered for the Cog and per some sites a couple years out
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Hi All,
I think the brake check is questionable. Maybe they want you to spend money in the store? I used 2nd gear all the way down. Once out of the parking lot (at the top), never used the brakes! 2nd gear was fine. The break check guy told me my brakes were overheated. Yea, right. I thanked him and drove on.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi All,
I think the brake check is questionable. Maybe they want you to spend money in the store? I used 2nd gear all the way down. Once out of the parking lot (at the top), never used the brakes! 2nd gear was fine. The break check guy told me my brakes were overheated. Yea, right. I thanked him and drove on.
The average tourist will rely on the brake pedal more than they should. Checking is a good idea, IMHO.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #22

We stayed at Cheyenne Mtn SP last year and enjoyed it but if it's like the Denver SP's you may need to reserve ASAP especially for the W/E.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Timely information Big Dude! I'm finding locations are becoming a little scarce.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #24

You didn’t say when you were going but a few years ago we were the 4th vehicle up. That was on June 2
2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Got lucky. Very few sites left but was able to get a large Class A spot secured for June 17 - 21st. at Garden of the Gods.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
Got lucky. Very few sites left but was able to get a large Class A spot secured for June 17 - 21st. at Garden of the Gods.
We enjoy camping there and usually fo on of the dinners

Nice walking path to Manitou however due to all the pot stores nearby, lot of pot heads around the area

Nice to visit Old Colorado City but again steer clear of the park as a lot of all nights

Really enjoy Michael Garmin's Gallery there
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #27

If you like BBQ, don't miss Rudy's on US 24 in Manitou Springs.

Years ago, we came down the Pike's Peak road in a white-out . . . in early AUGUST! We were also tent camping in Cripple Creek over a July 4th weekend one time when we woke to snow covering our tent and the ground outside. Moral: be prepared for any kind of weather around Pike's Peak even in mid-summer.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:21 PM   #28

We drove up Pikes Peak in late Aug. ‘16 (it was paved all the way at that point).

Mid 70s in Colorado Springs that day, maybe 40 degrees at the top, and some random piles of snow in shady areas (it had showed at many of the higher elevations in CO the week before).

We had been over 5000’ most of the prior 2 months, and at 9000’ in Breckinridge the week prior to getting to CS. We are in pretty good shape, and we could certainly feel the lack of oxygen just walking around at the top.....

Driving down, I put the Jeep tranny in manual mode to control my speed, not needing to use the brakes except for some of the tight hairpins. The guy with the heat gun said something along the line of “did you use your brakes at all on the way down ?

Now, for racing up the mountain.......... always had thought it was totally insane, and since driving it, it certainly is; wow, don’t miss the corner .

Regards
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote