RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2020, 08:27 AM   #1

Pikes Peak Road

We're spending a long overnight in Colorado Springs next month and thought we'd take the toad and drive to the top of Pikes Peak.

Anyone out there driven both the Pikes Peak road and the Going to the Sun Road? How would you compare the two?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2020, 08:40 AM   #2

You will need to ride the shuttle to the top, they are building a new visitor center at the top and due to lack of parking at the construction site. Much steeper than going to the sun road. Skip

Old 06-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #3

If you're planning to take your motorhome - a no-no!!

Here's Going to the Sun Rd. Info: It's basically up to 6% grade. The shuttle is a nice way to go as it stops at some hiking trails. When done - pick up the next one and continue your journey. Driving yourself you won't be able to experience the beauty. You'll have both eyes on the road, hopefully!

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrinfo.htm

Here's some info on Pikes Peak:

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north...ep%20sections.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Pike's Peak is an interesting drive when you think about people racing the uphill then look over the side. If you don't want to drive take the Cog Railway !
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Pike's Peak is an interesting drive when you think about people racing the uphill then look over the side. If you don't want to drive take the Cog Railway !
The Cog Railway is closed until at least 2021.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadude62 View Post
We're spending a long overnight in Colorado Springs next month and thought we'd take the toad and drive to the top of Pikes Peak.

Anyone out there driven both the Pikes Peak road and the Going to the Sun Road? How would you compare the two?
Drove up PP in 2016 in our Cherokee, and by then the road was paved all the way to the top.

On the west side of Galcier in 2016 as well, but took a bus up GTTSR to Loagan Pass. Last year on the east side, we drove the Cherokee up GTTSR to Logan Pass once, and spent several more days driving to various points on the east side of GTTSR for hiking. The road on the west side is different too, and in ways the roadway itself is more dramatic than the east, while there are many more accessible trails for easy to moderate hiking on the east side as well.

That said, the road up PP and GTTSR are not at all alike. In Glacier, you feel like you are driving in a National Park, the road is not very wide, much of it cut into sheer cliffs, and you have rock retaining walls as “guard rails”, and you just get the feeling that you are in a very special place with spectacular scenery that you need to pull off and stop to enjoy constantly.

PP feels more wide open, the scenery is not nearly as spectacular, not even close, and the road just doesn’t feel like you are driving anyplace “special”. Yes, some of the views are incredible but it’s not at all like Glacier.

Yes, there are drop offs, and some of them are incredibly big, but in most cases it’s not like they are sheer drops offs with a cliff on one side and straight down on the other, but more steeply angled drop offs that seem to go on forever. Think of it this way, it’s the difference between driving off an overlook at the Grand Canyon (GTTSR) vs. your car tumbling forever going down a ski slope at PP, if that makes any sense .

On the other hand, driving PP had been a long standing “bucket list” since I was a kid, just because of the racing history, much more so that GTTSR. And when you get out at the top at 14,000’, you know it. On the other hand, GTTS road is a much more special place in its own way.

Very happy I’ve been able to do both, and I think the pictures below will help put each into better perspective, particularly the bottom two give you a better idea of what the roads are like.

Top left at the top of PP, bottom right from a pull out on PP
Top right from a pull out on the west side of GTTS, bottom left from the east side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B2F65CDE-7A97-440F-B682-C84C0BD9362E.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	290146   Click image for larger version

Name:	931D9D24-8643-4317-9B4B-E9B1147D6B4C.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	290148  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6DD279BA-768C-40D0-9CCB-7A876EB6C9D6.jpg
Size:	514.0 KB
ID:	290149   Click image for larger version

Name:	5494163B-638C-4EEC-9EDC-0267D1E737DF.jpeg
Size:	564.6 KB
ID:	290151  

Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:26 AM   #7

Pikes Peak & Going to the Sun, piece of cake both of them.

If you want something a little more interesting try Mt Evans. Still easy but has some narrow spots. Done all three with our 2wd dually. Biggest issue is thin air.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #8

We took the toad up Pikes Peak in 2016. It was Awsome we loved it, only problem we were dressed in shorts and and t-shirts very cold at the top and wind was howling,Brrrrr
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #9

I've been to Glacier several times, including GTTS, always early in the morning (going up from the west side) to avoid much of the traffic.

This will be our first PP drive. Driving a mid-size hybrid sedan.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadude62 View Post
I've been to Glacier several times, including GTTS, always early in the morning (going up from the west side) to avoid much of the traffic.

This will be our first PP drive. Driving a mid-size hybrid sedan.
I drove up PP in late September 2018 and got to the check in gate around 9AM and got a pass to the top. They were doing a lot of construction for the cogged railway and only let a few people up to the top and everyone else had to park and take a shuttle bus to the top. I can now say that I did it, but it scared the crap out of me because I couldn't see anything but clouds driving up and there were no guardrails and sheer drop off for hundreds, if not thousands of feet.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:10 PM   #11
jrs

Did Pikes Peak in the Grand Cherokee last fall. Not a problem and it's a breeze to take. Just downshift to help keep brake use to a minimum on way down. Yesterday we did the switchbacks on Shafer Trail in Canyonlands Nat Park which was far far more exciting for me but pissed off my wife who said it was unsafe.....
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
Yesterday we did the switchbacks on Shafer Trail in Canyonlands Nat Park which was far far more exciting for me but pissed off my wife who said it was unsafe.....
Ohhh..... that's a very nice trail. I can envision it now!! But it's one of the milder ones in the area. Hope she lets you do more.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:46 PM   #13

wow looks like a lot has changed since we went up it in 97. hoping my grandkids could go up it this year, but now not sure. if you have a 4x4 put in low coming down