Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

Pittsburgh Pa. to Orlando Fla area

Anyone with a good road and stay over stops towing large fiver Pittsburgh P to Orlando Fla?
Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we'll be doing that trip in reverse next week (St Lucie FL to PGH) for 3 maybe 4 nights. We'll be staying in Savannah one night and at least one night at Tanglewood Park in Clemmons NC - we'll report road conditions and accommodations upon our return. Safe travels!
Old 04-05-2017, 06:50 AM   #3

I have drove this route to Fort Myers, Fl down & back the last 5 years pulling a 40 foot 5er.
Take I-79 South to 19S. 19 is a 4 lane divided hwy but not interstate. It has access roads and a few stop lites, but a good road. Take 19 to I-77. There are 2 tolls. One is 80 cents and the other is 3 dollars. This is part of the West Virginia Turnpike system.
Follow I-77 thru Charlotte & around Columbia to I-26 East to I-95 South. I take 301 across state state after entering Florida, but you would stay on I-95 South.
As for stops, you don't say if you are driving to get there or driving a couple hundred miles per day.
WhiskeyRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #4

Thanks for the info,as for stops we are taking our time so we will be spending 2 overnight stops enroute,would appreciate any suggestions if you have any.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Arrow Avoid 77 in Charlotte if you can

left FLA wednesday and stopped at Savannah South KOA for the first night. Older classic KOA but nice place and less than a mile off I95. Today was a nightmare coming up 95 to 20 to 77 through Charlotte. MANY MANY traffic issues due to (major) construction on 77. Turned a 5.5 hour trip into almost 8 hours. Southbound looked just as bad. The worst spot was just north of Charlotte where there are 6 lanes that merge into 3...then 2...crawling at 4 to 5 MPH for 8 to 10 miles not once but twice near Charlotte. I know the alternatives are longer - but i would avoid the Charlotte route altogether until the work is done. Staying in a nice park tonight called Tanglewood Park in Clemmons NC. Its near Winston Salem and a little off our 77 path - but we have business near here in the morning. Will report any further road issues once back in the burgh on Saturday Safe travels!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #6

Thanks for the update Pghbob ,just had some friends ran into the same issues in Charlotte yesterday delayed them 3 hours!
Old 04-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #7

Unfortunately to or from Florida to western Pennsylvania or eastern Ohio, Charlotte is our Atlanta, I-75 or Washington DC & I-95 in the traffic back-ups, tie-ups, fender benders, & construction. If you hit Charlotte in rush hour, there is no rush. If non rush hour it is usually ok, unless there is a wreck. Where the 6 lanes turn into 2 lanes, that is where the by-pass, I-485 merges back into I-77. Most always a back up there, regardless if you are on I-77 or I-485. Not sure what the design engineer was thinking when he or she designed it or what the boss was thinking when it was approved. There is no run out room. The 6 lanes goes to 5, then 4, then 3 & finally 2 lanes in less than a couple of miles. That does not work well...
pghbob, just wondering why you passed I-26 staying on I-95 to I-20 to go west to Columbia? I always do I-26 but if you have a better mouse trap, I'm interested.
WhiskeyRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:16 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyRiver View Post
Unfortunately to or from Florida to western Pennsylvania or eastern Ohio, Charlotte is our Atlanta, I-75 or Washington DC & I-95 in the traffic back-ups, tie-ups, fender benders, & construction. If you hit Charlotte in rush hour, there is no rush. If non rush hour it is usually ok, unless there is a wreck. Where the 6 lanes turn into 2 lanes, that is where the by-pass, I-485 merges back into I-77. Most always a back up there, regardless if you are on I-77 or I-485. Not sure what the design engineer was thinking when he or she designed it or what the boss was thinking when it was approved. There is no run out room. The 6 lanes goes to 5, then 4, then 3 & finally 2 lanes in less than a couple of miles. That does not work well...
pghbob, just wondering why you passed I-26 staying on I-95 to I-20 to go west to Columbia? I always do I-26 but if you have a better mouse trap, I'm interested.
WR thanks for the reply and sorry for the typo...we DID take 26 around Columbia, not 20. Unfortunately we found out about the bypass one day too late! We'll be better prepared next time (didn't have our atlas with us either).