Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #1

Planning a trip to Banff National Park and Glacier National Park

Hi,

I am planning a trip for August of 2021. I like to plan ahead. Planning on traveling through the U.P. of Michigan through Minnesota and entering Canada from North Dakota. Then headed to Banff National Park and Jasper National Park. From there want to head to Glacier National Park, then to the North Entrance to Yellowstone, to Grand Teton then possibly to Cody, Wyoming and then on to Custer State Park. I love mountain scenery but I hate driving the motorhome in the mountains. Does this sound like a good route? I know that in the parks there will be mountains but we haul a motorcycle that we ride there. My fear of heights gets in the way at times. Let me know if this sounds like a good route or any suggestions of other places to see along the way. Thanks so much in advance.
tonka96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2019, 12:57 PM   #2

Banff/Jasper has lots of mountains around it but you don't drive on any winding mountain roads. Glacier's number one place to visit is Going to the Sun road which is all winding, switchback, mountain road with lots of exposure. I think they run tour trams up to the summit but just transfers the driving to someone else.

Yellowstone is high altitude but no mountain roads with a few exceptions and you probably wouldn't get to those anyway. Tetons has a few mountain roads but just avoid them, they aren't in the major tourist areas anyway.

I think there may be some exposure on the road to Cody but nothing extreme.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #3

AGESILAUS stated it correctly. You won't be driving what you perceive as 'twisty mountain, steep roads'. Glacier - just take the free tram.

However, coming into Yellowstone from the north might be an issue for you. Work your way to Bozeman, Montana and take it from there to West Yellowstone and stay in that area for touring Yellowstone. . . or try to get a site in Madison Campground in Yellowstone not far from West Yellowstone and a flat drive.

To get to Grand Teton driving through the park from W. Yellowstone to the south entrance is O.K. We like to stay at Gros Ventre Campground in the Tetons. No reservations accepted but with 300 sites we've always gotten a site in various seasons. Colter Bay Campground is our second choice with no reservations and 300 sites.

Each national park has an awesome website giving lots of good information on camping, things to do, road information, special alerts, etc. Be sure to check them out.

This site may help in describing the Yellowstone entrances:

http://www.rvcruzer.com/ystonervroutes.php
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #4

thank you

Thanks for your input. I was thinking to take 90 to Bozeman to 89 to go in at Gardiner, I believe.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:34 PM   #5

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
I wrote a long discussion about traveling and then wondered what kind of RV you would be driving. Exiting this window to see your profile made everything I had written down disappear.

The crux of what I remembered: Get gas when you can while in Canada on the Trans Canadian highway, stock up before you cross the border (it's expensive there), and get a unlimited roaming plan for your cell phone. Using it will suck up your minutes and what options they offer will choke a goose.

Have fun....
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka96 View Post
Thanks for your input. I was thinking to take 90 to Bozeman to 89 to go in at Gardiner, I believe.
The Gardiner entrance to Yellowstone has a steep section and is very narrow. We've done it with our 40' motorhome and it's very doable but since you don't like mountains you may not like this entrance and definitely don't use the NE entrance. You definitely won't like it!
Old 10-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

I must be reading something in the article wrong. I thought the article said the north entrance was the easiest. I will take your word for it. If you go in the West Yellowstone entrance from Glacier are you on mountain roads in between the two? Also, the other entrance you were talking about is the Beartooth Highway one, correct? I did that 2 months ago on the motorcycle. Don't think I will be doing that again, and for sure not in the motorhome. Thanks for all your help. Safe travels.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:04 AM   #8

The north entrance isn't bad and does have some hills and is narrow and curvy but the West Yellowstone entrance is a lot easier and flat. It just depends where you're planning to stay.

From Glacier NP and again, depending where you're staying, you can take 89 to 287 to I-15 to Bozeman then 191 to West Yellowstone. Or, from the west side of the park take either 83 or 93 south along Flathead Lake to I-90 to 287 to West Yellowstone. No big hills.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:50 AM   #9

Thanks

Thank you so much! I want to see all this beautiful scenery but its hard when I am in the back of the motorhome with my eyes closed. LOL! Thanks again.

Tags
national