RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2019, 04:51 AM   #1
WDW

Planning Maine for 2020

Give me advise on traveling in Maine with big rig -55’. Any routes to avoid? I don’t enjoy 2 Kane roads with no berms.

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2019, 06:15 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I’m in Maine now and my rigs total length is 65’ and have not had any issues. Avoiding 2 lane roads will severely limit what you can visit and you will only see the crowded touristy areas. You need to get east and north of Bar Harbor into the “Downeast” portion of the Maine coast to really appreciate the area. The coastal road, US 1 and 1A, is no issue for a rig your size. Harrington, Machias, Lubec, Eastport are all beautiful areas.

mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:27 AM   #3

Route #2 out through the western part of the state is a good route to go, especially if heading back towards N.H.- Vermont. RT #15 from Stonington (lobsters) to Greenville (Moosehead Lake) is a good journey .This also takes you onto the Blue Hill Peninsula,a beautiful area. We would heartily recommend an overnight ( or more) at Reach Knolls Oceanfront campground in Brooklin.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
I’m in Maine now and my rigs total length is 65’ and have not had any issues. Avoiding 2 lane roads will severely limit what you can visit and you will only see the crowded touristy areas. You need to get east and north of Bar Harbor into the “Downeast” portion of the Maine coast to really appreciate the area. The coastal road, US 1 and 1A, is no issue for a rig your size. Harrington, Machias, Lubec, Eastport are all beautiful areas.
I grew up in Downeast Maine and go by @Downeaster_Jeeper on Instagram

You hit the nail on the head. Acadia and southern Maine are nice but the eastern and northeast areas also have a lot to appreciate. July is blueberry time so there will be lots of good eating as well!
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #5

Do understand the current Maine travel restrictions

https://www.mainetourism.com/travel-resources-covid-19/

14 day quarantine in place, no shopping, only contactless delivery

OR

certify a negative Covid-19 test no more than 72 hours before entering the state.
spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:07 AM   #6

I know a handful of places I could suggest-I grew up here and go back often.
Bar Harbor was a place we loved to go and still do. They have a lobster festival I think, in July or August. Covid 19 may have shut that down, I am not sure.

Saco Maine is another place we would frequent as kids. Old Orchard Beach. I am not sure if it is still as nice as it use to be. Sebec Lake, is secluded but gorgeous in the summer as is Moosehead Lake.

Have fun. Maine will be our summer home one day.
MrsJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJD View Post
Bar Harbor was a place we loved to go and still do. They have a lobster festival I think, in July or August. Covid 19 may have shut that down, I am not sure.
The 2020 Maine Lobster fest was cancelled a month or so ago. It's in Rockland, not Bar Harbor. We have been (in 2009) and it's okay, but we went on "locals day" during the week when admission was free. We wouldn't pay to get in (especially given the food pricing was tourist-level even on a non-tourist day).

spuds is online now   Reply With Quote