Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #1

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Planning Return from Maine to Central California

I need suggestions for returning from Freeport Maine to Central California.
I will have approximately 2 weeks from start date. I already have routes and RV parks with reservations from California to the Canadian Maritimes about 2 months. We leave the middle of June and start West the middle of August.
I would like to avoid toll roads if possible, if not any suggestions for pre paid toll like EZ Pass.
I am comfortable driving good two lane highways as well as Interstates as I drive a 43’ M/H towing.
Your suggestions are appreciated.

Ronnie Bledsoe
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2021, 04:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
I need suggestions for returning from Freeport Maine to Central California.
I will have approximately 2 weeks from start date. I already have routes and RV parks with reservations from California to the Canadian Maritimes about 2 months. We leave the middle of June and start West the middle of August.
I would like to avoid toll roads if possible, if not any suggestions for pre paid toll like EZ Pass.
I am comfortable driving good two lane highways as well as Interstates as I drive a 43’ M/H towing.
Your suggestions are appreciated.

Ronnie Bledsoe
Central CA is big. Any more specifics? Final destination could change the route recommendation.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:41 PM   #3

Manteca Near Modesto
Old 12-07-2021, 06:43 PM   #4

I am in Modesto actually.

Given you are rolling through in the summer a more northern route would avoid most of the heat, obviously.

Do you want prettiest drives or interesting stops along the way?
Do you want more stops or longer stays with fewer stops?
Old 12-07-2021, 08:59 PM   #5

Head across Canada to Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan and explore northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula. August/Sept is a great time to do this. Check out Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Petosky, Traverse City, Mackinac Island. Then pick up Hwy 2 at St. Ignace, MI and take it across the Upper Peninsula to Duluth, MN - a great city to explore.

Weave yourself into South Dakota and Wyoming; perhaps a corner of Idaho and into California.

Lots of things to check out along the way.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:24 AM   #6

Avoiding Tool Roads

“I would like to avoid toll roads if possible, if not any suggestions for pre paid toll like EZ Pass.”

Traveling from Maine through Canada to the Michigan Upper Peninsula is a good way to avoid tolls. There are tolls around Toronto. I have not used them for a few years. I paid cash at toll booths then. I am not sure you can still do that now.

Traveling south of the Great Lakes makes it very hard to avoid tolls. There is a route from New York State to Wisconsin that only uses short stretches of toll roads. It is complicated and takes twice as long. A Garmin GPS can plot it for you. The route involves lots of city streets.

Paying tolls in that corridor has changed a lot in the last 3 years. Most of the cash lanes have been removed or are not active anymore.

Theoretically you can pay by logging on to each state’s toll website. Do it soon after passing the automated plate reader. Delays often bring $25 fines as well as double tolls. Sometimes the tolls don’t show on the website until after the fines are due.

It is easier to get an EZPass. Each State will open an account for you. One account is good in all EZPass states. I live in Wisconsin. Wisconsin does not have toll roads. I got my pass from North Carolina. Allow a couple of weeks to get the transponder in the mail.
https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/home/index.shtml

EZPass is not used west of Minnesota. There is pass system available that covers almost the entire US. It has a monthly fee.

Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas have an interconnected system. West of the Great Planes I don’t know about.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #7

Use as much of rt 2 as possible. For the most part little traffic & decent road.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #8

Stop at Niagara Falls if you haven't seen it already. Bring your passport because the Canadian side is the best. Two weeks isn't much to play with. Have you done Yellowstone, Colorado, etc?
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #9

I live in Maine and have made that trip many times over the past 16 years or so. I would probably take I95 south into Mass (toll road) … then 495 around Boston to I90 west. Take I90 (toll road) to near Albany then take the Southern Tier Expressway across NY (I88/I86 (no tolls). Then take 90 south to Cleveland and 71 south to Columbus. From there I would take 70 across to Utah and then find my way to US50 (AKA “the loneliest road”) through Nevada to Carson City … then I80 over the Sierras to Sacramento and 99 down to Modesto. Plenty to keep you interested along the way and 2 weeks is about right depending on your comfortable daily travel distance.
Mikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!

Tags
california