RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #15

Nova Scotia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHarrison View Post
Does anyone have recommendations on travel to Nova Scotia by way of the US East Coast. Would appreciate cities to avoid and best way to do that. Also interested in places not to miss based on your experiences, food/sight seeing. Strange/unique things not to be missed?
Suggest you contact the Nova Scotia Department of Tourism and ask them to send you the "Doers and Dreamers guide"
You can enter NS via New Brunswick and Maine or by ferry from Bar Harbour Maine to Yarmouth NS operated by Bay Ferries Ltd
Too many places not to miss from fishing and Acadian communities in Southwestern NS on either side of Yarmouth (best seafood ever) South Shore from Yarmouth to Halifax and/or Annapolis valley (agricultural area- high tides) on the north shoreThen there is the Chignecto area closest to New Brunswick, Northern NS around Pictou, then Cape Breton with the Cabot Trail
Many highways are two lane. You will find vet expanses of forest and very very friendly people

Sebim742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #16

If you plan on doing the Cabot trail, and have a tow vehicle with you, I suggest you take the rv to Chetticamp Nova Scotia, and go from there with the tow car. Chetticamp is just before you start into the big hills on the Cabot Trail. From there, you can go around the entire loop in a four hour drive. My preferred method leaving from Chetticamp, is to go around the loop counter clockwise the first day. The four hour drive will take all day with sight seeing and stops. The second day, head north clockwise, and go to Meat Cove. This trip is also a four hour drive, but will take all day with stops. On the way back from Meat Cove, you can stop at the National Parks. The Cape Breton Highlands Skyline trail is a must see. This method gives you two days to see the Trail at a leisurely pace. In my opinion, the west and north side of the Cabot Trail are the most scenic, but you don't know what you don't know, so going around the east side the first day lets you see the entire trail. This way you don't feel that you have missed anything. We stayed at the Plage St-Pierre Campground in Chetticamp. It was a decent campground to stay at. They are quite strict about noise after hours, and will literally come around and extinguish your campfire at 11 pm. First time I have ever seen this happen, but it was all in good spirits. They were firm but fair with their rules.

Old 02-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #17

Notes from our trip summer 2017. Sorry the post is a bit choppy, but itís a consolation of several older posts of mine.

Our route was from PEI (bridge both ways) to Kentville / Wolfeville. Then down to Yarmouth, back up to Parkers Cove. Took 8 across to Lunenburg, then over / up to Cheticamp.

Was unsure about the road between Yarmouth and Lunenburg, so that why we did the down / back up, then across routing. 8 isn't a great road either, but confirmed that it was adequate before we took it across vs. going all the way back up to 101 and had also driven 8 in the toad up to the national park in the middle, which is a nice place to check out if you have time; we rented a kayak and explored the lake for an afternoon.

We made an overnight stop between Cheticamp and Bar Harbor, but all I remember off the top of my head is that it was ok at best.

Kentville / Wolfville - Highbury Gardens RV park. Decent campground, lots to see / do in the area.

Parkers Cove near Danby. Nice RV park, incredible views of the Bay of Fundy; we had a "double" site right on the cliff. Lots to see / do in the area.

Yarmouth, Campers Haven. Decent RV park (drove through the other RV park nearby, and it looked awful). Yarmouth is just a seaport town, not much there, but driving up the western coast in the toad from there is a treat. Not sure it was worth the time / effort to go there.

Lunenburg, city campground. The campground is basically a parking lot, some full hookups; it's the "only place to stay" and we do recommend it, as you can walk into town. Spent a week there exploring the area, including taking a day to drive up to Halifax.

Cape Breton, Cheticamp Campground National Park. Very nice campground in the park. They have recently done upgrades to the campground. Highly recommended place to stay. We had been on the road 2 months by this point in the trip from Atl. to Michigan, up the eastern part of Canada along the lakes / Saint Lawrence and 10 days on PEI, and we're ready to get to Bar Harbor, so we really didn't do all we could have in Cape Breton.

Yes, we had reservations made well in advance at all places. Ran into a Caravan in Parkers Cove and Lunenburg (same one both places). They "take over" and when then arrive / leave, its a fiasco.

Regarding Cheticamp, do NOT take 19 between Port Hastings and Margaree Forks. It was absolutely the worst road I have ever driven in our RV (even worse than US285 through the oil patch between I10 and Carlsbad) It is narrow, no shoulder in many / most areas, and horrendous road surface conditions most of the way. I had to slow to a crawl in many places....... I was mentally and physically exhausted after that drive.

Take 105 between Port Hastings and Hunters Mountain (a nice road) and then Cabots Trail over to Margaree Forks; that section of Cabots isn't great, but significantly better than taking 19 up the coast the entire way.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post

Regarding Cheticamp, do NOT take 19 between Port Hastings and Margaree Forks. It was absolutely the worst road I have ever driven in our RV (even worse than US285 through the oil patch between I10 and Carlsbad) It is narrow, no shoulder in many / most areas, and horrendous road surface conditions most of the way. I had to slow to a crawl in many places....... I was mentally and physically exhausted after that drive.

Take 105 between Port Hastings and Hunters Mountain (a nice road) and then Cabots Trail over to Margaree Forks; that section of Cabots isn't great, but significantly better than taking 19 up the coast the entire way.

x2 The road is so narrow, is difficult to say the least. We missed the turn to 105 as it is immediately after crossing the causeway getting onto Cape Breton Island. We took 19 instead. We wont make that mistake again.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebim742 View Post
Suggest you contact the Nova Scotia Department of Tourism and ask them to send you the "Doers and Dreamers guide"
You can enter NS via New Brunswick and Maine or by ferry from Bar Harbour Maine to Yarmouth NS operated by Bay Ferries Ltd
Too many places not to miss from fishing and Acadian communities in Southwestern NS on either side of Yarmouth (best seafood ever) South Shore from Yarmouth to Halifax and/or Annapolis valley (agricultural area- high tides) on the north shoreThen there is the Chignecto area closest to New Brunswick, Northern NS around Pictou, then Cape Breton with the Cabot Trail
Many highways are two lane. You will find vet expanses of forest and very very friendly people
Thanks so much for suggesting the guide, I hopped on and ordered it here:Doers and Dreamers guide.

Not sure exactly when we'll be going, but I KNOW it will be soonish! It's always intrigued me and once we're retired we'll have the time (hopefully $$) to do it.

Thanks again!
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHarrison View Post
Also interested in places not to miss

By any chance, are you particularly interested in ships and the sea?

Follow the CT - RI coastline and you can visit:

Mystic Seaport Museum in Mystic CT.

The Submarine Force Library & Museum in Groton CT - They've got the USS Nautilus.

The Coast Guard Academy and nearby Coast Guard Museum in New London CT.

Battleship Cove in Falls River MA - the USS Massachusetts and several other ships.

Of course, you could also take in the USS Constitution in Boston, but I don't know about going there in an RV.

To a certain extent, I suppose, all these places are going to depend on what you are driving. A Class C? A big old diesel pusher or fifth wheel? Are you pulling a toad?

RBBRTRMP is offline   Reply With Quote