RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2020, 05:24 PM   #1

Planning trip to Nova Scotia

Does anyone have recommendations on travel to Nova Scotia by way of the US East Coast. Would appreciate cities to avoid and best way to do that. Also interested in places not to miss based on your experiences, food/sight seeing. Strange/unique things not to be missed?

RHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHarrison View Post
Does anyone have recommendations on travel to Nova Scotia by way of the US East Coast. Would appreciate cities to avoid and best way to do that. Also interested in places not to miss based on your experiences, food/sight seeing. Strange/unique things not to be missed?
Watching... as Nova Scotia is on my bucket list to visit as well.

TriMoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #3

We loved Nova Scotia, did not avoid any cities, very friendly. This was on our way to Newfoundland, which was a wonderful trip. Even better than Alaska.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Watching... as Nova Scotia is on my bucket list to visit as well.

Same here. Got a second cousin in Nova Scotia I’d like to meet.
Funengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:43 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
We went some years ago. Entered New Brunswick via Calais; traveled CA1. Stayed in St Martin, NB and saw awesome tides, the reversing river in Saint John; lots of good food around. Went to Nova Scotia and saw the Tatoo in Halifax as well as wonderful sunsets anywhere along the South shore of the Bay Of Fundy. Visited Annapolis, Mahone Bay, Lunenberg. Saw bore tides too.

Lots to see and do there.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
We spent last summer touring N.E. and New Brunswick/Nova Scotia. We took I95 out of Mass. and stopped at Old Orchard Beach. We used OOB as a base and went to Cape Elizabeth lighthouse. Went to Two Lights S.P. for lobster rolls at the Lobster Shack (right on the water with great views). We also went to Portland, shopped, took a schooner ride at the pier(Portland Schooner I think). Great time. Then we moved on up to Belfast and visited Camden. Very nice small town with great water views and nice shops. Also visited Bar Harbor and Acadia N.P. Then we moved on up to Houlton Maine. Stayed at My Brother’s Place campground. Very nice, quiet. We then drove our toad into Canada, going N.E. Into Nova Scotia. Made the loop around by Halifax, Peggy’s Cove around to Dig-by. Then took the ferry across to St. John (saved us 3.5 hrs of drive time) and then Fundy, back to Houlton. We overnighted along the way. We had no problems, English was spoken more often than French....driving no different than in the U.S. Roads and Highways were in excellent condition. We traveled June-August.
BodieJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #7

I have been there four times now, including a two month tour of Atlantic Canada last summer. I have quite a few videos on my YouTube channel of most of the highlights if you want to get some ideas. The link is of Burntcoat Head, the highest recorded tides in the world at 73 ft. The video is low tide. If you click on my channel link, there is another video of high tide, as well as the rest of the videos. I have posted quite a few different posts of good things to see. A search will bring up many of them. The Bay of Fundy is my favourite, followed by the Cabet trail. Cheers.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:46 AM   #8

All good suggestions.
As we live in Kingston in the Annapolis valley we kind of like it in the Valley. We have the Steer BBQ mid July inc the town parade. Always fun. The town BBQs 4 big steers.
Lots of things to see and do from Harborville to Annapolis Royal, Windsor, Digby etc. The Greenwood Military Base has an excellent museum. The Yogi Bear Camp grounds in north Kingston.
Keep in mind that getting to the tidal towns etc might be difficult in a large DP so check each out with your toad first.

There are lots of trails, many of which run through fishing villages.
Enjoy your stay.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:41 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Be sure to see the Alexander Graham Bell museum. We were there last summer, visited New Foundland, Labrador, and Nova Scotia. It is all good. We spent 3 weeks on New Foundland and became honorary Nuffies. Have fun and be open to meeting new friends.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:08 AM   #10

Campobello is pretty cool. Two ferry rides(one is free) involved when visiting from the Canadian side, border crossing via land route from ME. Nice provincial park nearby to camp at.

Meat Cove is a pretty cool diversion for a toad trip or small RV.

If it can work for you, do the Gaspe' drive also.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:52 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is supposed to be a fast ferry between Bar Barbor, ME and Yarmouth NS.

https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #12

I like the suggestion "don't miss any cities" :>) I'm a Curse of Oak Island buff ,, Stayed in Lunenburg near by and had a fantastic visit to the island and an amazing time in historic Lunenburg. N.S. PEI is also a don't miss visit

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
This is a great source of info: https://www.novascotia.com/

We've done the ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth (https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/) with a car.

From Yarmouth, we followed the west coast of Nova Scotia and enjoyed Lunenburg, Peggy's Cove and Halifax. We stumbled into the Celtic Colours International Festival (https://celtic-colours.com/) on Cape Breton Island. The Cabot Trail drive is spectacular.

You might enjoy a visit to Prince Edward Island, too. It may be a little out of your way, but, well worth the diversion if you've got the time.

Take care,
Stu
Old 02-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #14
IC2

We have been to NS twice in the past 4-5 years and highly recommend it. Depending on how you are traveling from NC, I would consider NOT using I-95 but I-81/I-84 then back to I-95 through NH and then up the Maine Coast. Old Portland/Orchard Beach/Kennebunk/Booth Bay/Acadia National Park then to Lubec and then Campobello Island. After that, back to New Brunswick and the Bay of Fundy and Hopewell Rocks. Then you are on the way to Nova Scotia - Halifax then along the coast. We particularly like Cape Breton but it's not a good trip with a large RV.

After NS, then why not go a little further and cross over the Confederation Bridge to Prince Edward Island. Anne of Green Gables home, even the Potato Museum is well worth a few hours. We wandered over much of the island, staying in a central location CG in New Glasgow . PEI. Several good restaurants in that area as well as Cavendish if you need a change of diet.

CGs - most are good to very good though the Parks Canada CG on PEI may not have reopened after a hurricane last fall destroyed a lot of the infrastructure and is being rebuilt - we were in Maine at Acadia and got very wet and wind blown

Oh and don't forget your passport!