Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2008, 05:29 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone have a suggestion for a big-rig to go from Port Angeles Washington over to Seattle? We want to avoid the ferry system but stay on good wide highways or roads.

Thanks.

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Freemn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2008, 05:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone have a suggestion for a big-rig to go from Port Angeles Washington over to Seattle? We want to avoid the ferry system but stay on good wide highways or roads.

Thanks.

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 04-07-2008, 06:06 AM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi,

I live directly between the two. From PA (Port Angeles) take hwy 101 south, take hwy 104 east towards the Hood Canal Bridge. After crossing the Hood Canal Bridge, you will come to hwy 3, take it south towards Poulsbo, Silverdale, Bremerton, (honk at 4 miles south of the bridge and I may be able to to hear you). On the south side of Bremerton, hwy 3 bends around the bay and becomes hwy 16 south to Tacoma. Go all the way to Tacoma using the new Tacoma Narrows Bridge (toll, and not MM's). After crossing the Tacoma Narrows Bridge continue on to where 16 ends at I5. Take I5 north to Seattle .
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:08 AM   #4

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I don't know the HWY numbers, I think its WA 3, but I would take the HWY that goes to Bremerton then to Tacoma (across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge-could be a toll) then take I5 to Seattle. If you are heading North through Seattle plan your travel to avoid commute as there was a lot of construction on the North side of Seattle a few months ago when I went through.
Hwy 101 from Port Angeles to Olympia is a nice drive then North to Seattle. It is also 2 lane but more curves and narrower than the Bremerton/Tacoma route. I have driven both in a 40' with toad.

Ronnie
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks. That's kind of what I thought. Just 2 more things....

We are actually going to park at Bothell so we thought we would take I5 and then 405 up to Bothell.

The other thing is that I had looked at taking I5 to Hwy 101 going from Portland to Port Angeles. But if the road is a narrow 2-lane, maybe I should go to Tacoma and reverse your directions.??? Let me know. Thanks

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 04-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Going north on hwy 101 between Shelton and the hwy 101 / 104 interchange (104 is the way to the Hood Canal Bridge), is a two lane winding road (although it is not so narrow as to warrant worry). 101 runs directly along the shoreline of Hood Canal for much of this section and is the reason it is winding. The 104 / 16 route is mostly divided highway except 104 to 16 where it is two lanes, but that two lane section of 104 is wider and straighter than the afore mentioned winding part of 101. Having said that, for scenic views and stops along the way, that winding section of 101 can be worth it, (unless it is raining when it becomes more unpleasant and more dangerous than I'd like driving a large rig... dangerous due to OTHER drivers of course). The new (additional) Tacoma Narrows bridge allows for much more room and safety now than when there was just one bridge for both directions of traffic. It has less backups now too, but the section of 16 between I5 and the Tacoma Narrows bridge can get very bad during commute times. Going south, there can be backups at peak commute times at the toll booth. Oh, and there are no tolls coming north across the Tacoma Narrows bridge, only going south.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
jfb

We live in Sequim on US101. When taking our 35 footer to eastern WA via I90, we always take SR104 to Kingston and take the ferry for about $85.00. You stay on SR104 right into Bothell, saving a lot of miles and frustration on I5 and I405....
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
jfb

So there is plenty of room on the ferries for Big Rigs? If so, your suggestion sounds like the way to go.....104 is a straight shot to Bothell.

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 04-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, there is, very easy length wise and height. However, be careful about mirrors if other large rigs are next to you and extending steps can be an issue depending upon where and what you are parked next to. Best to keep the steps (automatic wise) turned off. Extreme low tides can make some rigs bottom out due to the angle of the ramp, especially if you are towing.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh, and I forgot about the propane issue. You will need to turn it off and place a tag (they will supply you with one at the toll booth) on the outside indicating you have in fact turned it off.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
If you want to avoid all bridges, ferrys, and tolls take 101 to Olympia and then north on I-5, moving over to 405. I presume you are going to Lake Pleasant? If so leave the 405 on 522 going west, getting off at Bothell Way NE. If remember correctly the transition from 522 to Bothell Way was a little tricky, but the GPS handled it well.

Enjoy your stay, we will be at Lake Pleasant in early July.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
How is it to drop down after crossing the "floating" bridge to Tacoma and then going back up 405? Is the floating bridge narrow?

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 04-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Going that way is fine. Avoiding peak traffic hours (typical rush hours) is best; IE: in Tacoma (hwy 16 & I5), going north on I5, as well as I405.

The Hood Canal Bridge is plenty wide.