Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Port Huron to Niagara Falls

Are there any special regulations driving a Rv thru Canada from Port Huron to Niagara Falls. Will be traveling with 2 dogs. We intended to stay on the US side of the falls

2008 Itasca Latitude 39w UFO 8.1
YngRvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #2

Be sure to have health certificates from your vet. I have read of issues with taking dog food into Canada, so suggest you check here Traveling with Pets » ezbordercrossing.com

Also, have your passports or passport cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YngRvrs View Post
Are there any special regulations driving a Rv thru Canada from Port Huron to Niagara Falls. Will be traveling with 2 dogs. We intended to stay on the US side of the falls
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #3

You will also need passports.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Be sure to fully understand the Canadian firearm regulations.

And buy fuel on the US side, will save you some dough!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #5

As stated already make sure you have your vet papers for your dogs. We live in Sarnia and cross to Port Huron all the time and a number of times last year with the trailer. Never got asked for the vet papers. But have been in Agriculture Canada's office at the border in Sarnia and have seen unfortunate pets being held as the owners had no shots or papers. Oh and you can't take your firearms along. Give us a wave on your way through Sarnia.

Hope this crappy weather is over when you go. This was the scene about 20 km's east of Port Huron yesterday.Click image for larger version

Name:	1625605_719594041395853_340748892_n.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	57153
Old 02-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If you are staying on the American side make sure you get to the Canadian side view areas because you basically get short sheeted trying to see much from NY side. There are many tourist things to do and see on both sides of the river along the Niagara Gorge.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
You will also need passports.
Or Nexus Cards or Enhanced DL.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
If you are staying on the American side make sure you get to the Canadian side view areas because you basically get short sheeted trying to see much from NY side. There are many tourist things to do and see on both sides of the river along the Niagara Gorge.
So your saying viewing etc is better from the Canada side ? I'm cutting across that same way this August.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
So your saying viewing etc is better from the Canada side ? I'm cutting across that same way this August.
Basically yes. The view from the American side is so-so because the falls is basically falling away from the American side and toward the Canadian side. From the Canadian side you are looking straight into the falls. I haven't gone to falls in the evening since i was a kid so I'm not sure if they still do the light up but the best views of the lit falls is from the Canadian side. There are tourist traps (fun ones) on both sides and these I will leave to others who are closer and more current.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #10

Not only can you see the American falls better looking right at it but the Canadian falls isa horseshoe shape with a lot more of the water that goes down the river going over it. You can get to one side of it and look right at it or across it. If you are coming from Michigan you may as well pull into town and see it. It will only cost you some parking.

And yes they still light it up at night.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Basically yes. The view from the American side is so-so because the falls is basically falling away from the American side and toward the Canadian side. From the Canadian side you are looking straight into the falls. I haven't gone to falls in the evening since i was a kid so I'm not sure if they still do the light up but the best views of the lit falls is from the Canadian side. There are tourist traps (fun ones) on both sides and these I will leave to others who are closer and more current.
Thanks for your info, I'll check out Canada's side first and maybe call it macaroni after that.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, have been there 6 or 8 times.

The Canadian side is much better than the American side. Better view, more tourist things etc. There is a nice KOA on Lundy Lane that has bus service to the downtown/falls area if you don't have a toad. The downtown is very tourist trap but almost fun because of that... wax museums, many many shops with tourist items, food etc. There are also some nice parks and walks along the riverfront.

Also, if you do have a toad, there is much more to do than just the falls. There is a bus service that will take you along the riverfront to things like the cable car ride and other things. But North of the Falls by about 15 miles is wine country and a lovely little town called Niagara-on-the-Lake which has a less-frantic pace and nicer shopping. Many wineries, farm markets etc on the drive there and back.

As long as you are going through the (minor in my dozen trips) hassle of border crossing, take some time to enjoy that side.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Check into the regulations regarding the import of fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats. We have friends that are Canadians and camp with us in the US all the time, and I've heard them mentions that there are No, No's in this aspect, but just can't remember wither it's and issue coming into the US from Canada or vise versa.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote