Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2021, 01:13 AM   #1

Portland Oregon -> Dallas Tx First week of Jan!

Not the optimal season for sure, but I'm moving from Oregon to Texas after Christmas and it is what it is. Pulling a 28' TT with a 2004 F250 6.0 Diesel.

This past summer I took this combo up and over the Rockies about six times while I explored Wyoming, Montana and Utah, trailering isn't the issue, but the idea of trailering in the SNOW and ICE is freaking me out!

My gut says, get south then go east..

I have a two week window to complete the trip so a leisurely pace is just fine.

I've driven the I-84 gorge more than enough times to know it CAN be windy, icy, and the stretch over the blue mountains between Pendleton and Baker City is pretty high elevation, but I can check those the day of departure and can just wait out a day or two of bad weather at home.

I lived in SLC for a few years and if memory serves, it is snowy and icy already and will be through February, so Im thinking to avoid I-15 south through Utah all together.

What about I-84 to Twin Falls and pickup 93 south all the way to Las Vegas. From Vegas get on I-40 east to Hwy 82 and roll into Dallas!

I've never been in that area, it looks pretty high elevation, is I-40 through Flagstaff to Albuquerque prone to snow and ice?

Maybe in Vegas I can check conditions on I-40 and if bad, go further south on 93 to Phoenix AZ and pick up I-10?

Any alternatives or other thoughts appreciated and welcome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 05:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I drove commercial Portland to Denver and back 2x a week for 4 years. Personally I would avoid that way , especially in January. My sister lives in Dallas so Iíve made that trip a lot also.
Going south on 5, once over the Siskiyou pass ( time it right) Youíll breath a lot easier. Then Cross to AZ in s Calif and be on your way.
The northern route via the Oregon blue mtns (I84) Idaho Utah etc are just more ďactiveĒ with winter problems. Doable ? Sure if the stars align but why stress. I was caught in way to many bad weather situations to go that way by choice in the winter with an rv.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:29 AM   #3

I hear ya. Thanks for board upside the head. Siskiyou pass offers the same advantage in that i can wait out a few days at home if needed and has the additional advantage in that once over the hill the rest of the trip is much less stressful.

Would you think about 101 from or to ca to skirt that pass?
Old 12-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #4

Hwy 93 through Nevada has limited services. There are several stretches of 100 miles and more where you can’t get fuel or even a cup of coffee. The road is narrow and has no shoulders. The places you can pull over is very rough.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:55 AM   #5

Something came back to me after making this post... I saw a bumper sticker many years ago that said "pray for me I drive 93!"
Old 12-06-2021, 10:05 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheat View Post
I hear ya. Thanks for board upside the head. Siskiyou pass offers the same advantage in that i can wait out a few days at home if needed and has the additional advantage in that once over the hill the rest of the trip is much less stressful.

Would you think about 101 from or to ca to skirt that pass?
The problem with 101 is getting back to I-5. There is no good way and right now 299, which is marginal anyway, has a lot of construction delays. After 299 there is a long winding 2 lane stretch of 101 that is ok, but not optimal.

The next good choice is HWY 20 which is fine, and since you have some time that would be a good route if you take 101. But unless you want to see that part of the country anyway, Id stick with 5 and time the Siskiyous for a weather window.

Either way I’d opt for I-5 south then 10 to Texas. Not the most scenic or ideal for a vacation, but for a winter transport it makes the most sense.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:13 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
If it snows anywhere in the world, it is in Flagstaff,AZ. I have driven the I5, I40 and also the I10. Getting from OR to CA is no problem. Going on either the 40 or the 10 will be a crap shoot so take your pick.

The route you picked, ain't no way for me.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:24 AM   #8

Don't even try to nail down a route until you check the weather forecast just before you leave.

An excellent site that allows you to look out 10 days and get temperature, wind, precipitation is:

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=43.8;-114.0;4&l=rain-3h
Old 12-06-2021, 10:37 AM   #9

Weíre headed from Oregon to AZ for January-February. Departure date is weather dependent. Unless the forecast is unusually clear and dry, weíll be taking I-5 south to Bakersfield, then heading east. Plan to get diesel at Costco in Bakersfield.

Donít dismiss the low passes between Canyonville and GP as easily passable. That area is a snow magnet. Youíll also need to get past Redding to be clear. In a passenger car, weíve been turned back at Fawndale Rd, northbound, and spent the night in Redding. We also waited out a chain requirement at Stewart Springs Rd just north of Weed for about an hour on a southbound trip.

Plan on 7-8 hours of driving time, in good conditions, from Portland to Redding.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:40 PM   #10

I-5 to Bakersfield then east is the best route that time of year. From Bakersfield get on 58 east to Barstow then 247 to Yucca Valley, then 62 east to 177 south to I-10. Take in Joshua Tree Nat'l Park if you have time.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I-5 to Bakersfield then east is the best route that time of year. From Bakersfield get on 58 east to Barstow then 247 to Yucca Valley, then 62 east to 177 south to I-10. Take in Joshua Tree Nat'l Park if you have time.
I like that route (58) better too - much nicer drive than the 210 and LA traffic. But if its snowing over the Tehachapis it would probably be better to go around and deal with the traffic.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:29 AM   #12

100% the weather will dictate your trip.

We hunt in Amarillo every winter and have had to cancel several over the years due to weather, but then again it might be in the 50's who knows.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:06 AM   #13

Most Direct Route

Iíve made a trip from Seattle to Ft Hood many times. Mostly in the Spring and Fall. Never in the Winter. I recently drove down to AZ and thought like you to head south and then east.

What I discovered is if the weather is good any route with good roads will do and if the weather is bad no route is good.

You have enough time to wait out bad weather so please consider a fun route. Iíll name a few cities and you can figure out the highways. Ontario, Twin Falls, Ogden, Price, Green River, Moab, Cortez, either Gallup or Albuquerque, Roswell, Carlsbad, then any route through TX.

This is a fun route with beautiful views and lots of services.
HenryH001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:43 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Leaving Coos Bay heading south on January 2. Destination is south TX. Recommend 101 S to Ca 20. Then I-5 to Bakersfield to desert Hot Sprngs & thenI-10 all the way to TX. I-40 too high for now. See you on the road.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote