Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2021, 08:08 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to soon2befree Send a message via AIM to soon2befree
Prescott AZ to Portland OR

has anyone gone thru Nevada to get to Portland rather than thru California and how were roads and fuel availability
soon2befree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 08:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2befree View Post
has anyone gone thru Nevada to get to Portland rather than thru California and how were roads and fuel availability
depends upon the route and what you're driving.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:44 AM   #3

We love Hwy 50 in Nevada.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I've trucked that route often. Lots of trucks take 395 through Cali - good road and you won't be sorry for the scenery. You can catch it at Kramer's Junction. One day's worth of running from your home base and lots of "dry camp" possibilities for overnight. They've revamped CA-58 west of Barstow so it's a good run and lots of truck stops / fuel at the 40/15/58 interchange.

However, if you desire to stay out of Cali you can take the Nev 93 through Lost Wages to 95. Good TA at Tonopah with a full serve company restaurant. Go north to I-80 via Fernley. A good Dennys and a Wally World at the truck stop there. Easy overnighting there and much better to stop there than Reno (very crowded and tough to negotiate for fueling and staying overnight). Catch the 395 and head north through Oregon. Beautiful run and lots of scenery all the way through to I84 W at Pendleton. Follow the Columbia to Portland.

Were it me, I'd run the 395 from start to finish. Great scenery, decent roads lots of stop over points (even in Cali). Stop at Manzanar and the Carson city Mint. Have fun!
94 Rexhall Aerbus [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
77Ti_o_ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:41 AM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to soon2befree Send a message via AIM to soon2befree
My mistake i am pulling 36 ft 5th wheel with stock diesel tank so only about 250 mi between fillups
soon2befree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:46 AM   #6

I just ran 395 from Reno to Bend. It was really nice ride, much better than I-5 ever could be. Reno itself was busy and some construction was happening at the 80-580-395 interchange but otherwise I was pleasantly surprised and will be using that route again.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2befree View Post
My mistake i am pulling 36 ft 5th wheel with stock diesel tank so only about 250 mi between fillups
Which route are you planning on?
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Should you decide to take Hwy 395 I would recommend stopping for fuel at Maverik, 1451 E. College Pkwy, Carson City, NV.

It is about two blocks off of the freeway with easy access to the diesel pumps, and prices are lower than anything you'll find in Reno or CA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maverik 2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	336662  
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote