Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #1

Pulling 5th wheel to Disneyland-traffic?

We will be taking a 5th wheel trip to Disneyland/Anaheim in September, after school starts. I am a California refugee but it's been over 25 years since I've driven in LA. What is the best time to travel and avoid the heaviest traffic? Mid morning? Early afternoon? Late night? never?

Thanks
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #2

Towing; in that mess. Have you got a destination park ? How far in do you need to go with the 5er?
Been a number of years since I ventured in. But for going anywhere you should try to be moving 9:30 to 11AM or 1:30 to 3 PM, not much of a travel window. Towing in , depending on how comfortable you are driving your rig after dark, I'd say arrange a late arrival and go in after 6:30. JMHO. Travel safe.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #3

Depends on which way you are heading during which hours. Entering probably after the traffic rush in the morning. Just keep in mind everybody goes to work in L.A. Then back out in the evening. After Riverside you'll probably be on the 91 freeway to Anaheim. (assuming you are coming from the east) Although it is busy it isn't that bad compared to the 10 into L.A. The biggest problem not being familar with the signs it is easy to get in the wrong lane. The signs assume you know where you are headed. Just have a local map handy and doubt you will have much trouble. The 91 isn't too bad but some of the other freeways like the 605 is worse than some of the gravel roads in Wyoming. I took the 605 and it was so bad my mirrors got out of total adjustment. Now that is a problem when you are towing.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #4

I have driven my motorhome (towing) to near Disney / Anaheim a couple of times from the San Diego direction ... I arrived in mid afternoon ... it was not a problem ... I researched my route carefully and made sure that I changed to the correct lane ahead of time (I have found CA drivers to be more willing to share the road with you than many other states ... put on you blinker and pretty soon there will be an opening to move into ... don't wait too long or it will be gone ... they will think you are a geezer with a turn signal habit )

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
I have driven my motorhome (towing) to near Disney / Anaheim a couple of times from the San Diego direction ... I arrived in mid afternoon ... it was not a problem ... I researched my route carefully and made sure that I changed to the correct lane ahead of time (I have found CA drivers to be more willing to share the road with you than many other states ... put on you blinker and pretty soon there will be an opening to move into ... don't wait too long or it will be gone ... they will think you are a geezer with a turn signal habit )
Yes, do use you turn signals on lane changes. We drove that traffic for 40 years until we retired and moved. We do miss L.A. Lots of things to do in the area. Lots of great restaurants.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #6

As others have suggested, the key to So Cal traffic is avoid the commuter traffic times.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #7

Thanks, all for the input. I will google map the route and study it ahead of time and also let Garmina's soothing voice guide me in.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
Thanks, all for the input. I will google map the route and study it ahead of time and also let Garmina's soothing voice guide me in.
Might do better with signs than gps. You want beach cities although you aren't going that far. The 91 turns into surface street at the harbor freeway. (110) You'll get off before then.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #9

Can you download apps on your phone ? I spent 37 years driving all over So Cal for a living. I didn't drive anywhere without listening to traffics reports...1070 am or ABC7 Los Angeles apps has a great traffic colored maps showing what's going on and it also has little camera links you can click on and see for yourself. You might go after rush hour only to find there is a accident. Believe me it pays to look before you drive into Orange County. Taking your 5er down there is no problem, it's no different than any city. Need any more info just ask !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel