Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #1

Question: New Mexico State Road 117

I am familiar with this part of the country, but have NEVER driven on State Road 117.

New Mexico State Road 117 essentially connects to I-40 at the North, and NM NM State Highway 36 to the south, about 10 miles North of Quemado and the US 60 junction with NM State Highway 36. It is 60 miles long.

State Road 117 passes through El Malpais Conservation area, which may be an interesting place to see.

The Question: Is anyone familiar with the quality and topology of State Road 117. My primary concern is the relative modesty of my Tow Vehicle (2015 Toyota Tacoma) pulling my trailer. Narrow is ok, I suppose, but combine narrow with potholes and severe grades ... not sure I want to hassle with it.

Anyone with first hand experience on NM 117?
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #2

We stayed at El Morro Nat'l Monument with our 40' MH and drove the car to El Malpais Nat'l Monument on 117. It's an easy drive... good road ... no big hills.

Here's a YouTube of a portion of it to give you an idea. Nowadays, most scenic drives are on YouTube... just plug in the Hwy # and state.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:21 PM   #3

Thanks Twogypsies.

Looked pretty narrow from what I saw, so wanted to get some first hand reporting.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:44 PM   #4

Self reporting: After driving NM Rd 117 last week, it was a pleasure. I little narrow at times, but plenty big, in good shape, and breathtaking at parts between the sandstone and volcanic parts.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:51 PM   #5

Thanks for returning with an update. Wish more would do so. Glad it worked for you!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Jack Klompus,

Thank you so much for posting your experience. If we get to make our New Mexico trip in October, this is the route we plan to take. Like you, glad to hear more first hand experience.