Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #1

Question ?? Rabbit Ears Pass in CO and WY 230

We will be heading back to Wisconsin near the end of April; we need to visit family in Cheyenne on the way.

We we will be in the Moab, UT area sightseeing ...

I am considering a route that takes me up over Rabbit Ears Pass on US 40 "east" of Steamboat Springs. I am considering this route because I have travelled I-70 from Grand Junction to Denver about a half dozen times and would like to try a different route.

The Mountain West Directory shows the ascent from the west is about 7 miles of 7% grade ... and the eastbound descent is about 6%

Wyoming 230 has some steep grades between the CO border and Laramie, WY as well ...

We have a diesel pusher with a C7 Cat engine ... I tow a 4200 pound toad.

We will be travelling in that area about May 1 ...

Anybody have any advice?

Thanks in advance

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
It has been quite a few years, but we did that exact route in reverse. Travelled from the Black Hills of SD down to Laramie, Rte 20 thru Walden then on down to Steamboat thru Rabbit Ears Pass. The Pass was a tough pull but we made it with some traffic trailing behind. I do not recall any real troublesome grades on Rte 230 or 14. With your C7 Cat, you should not have any problems. There is, if I remember correctly, a pull off or passing lane on the upgrade side and the other side will be easy for you with a diesel.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rabbit Ears is a tough pass especially going EB. I have the 8.1 gasser and I was in 1st gear going about 30 MPH at about 4500/ 5000 RPM for what seemed like for a long time. Your Kitty Cat should do much better.

Could you look at your Mountain West Directory and tell me what it says about Cottonwood Pass , also in CO. I heard mixed reviews about it but if I can cross it , it will save me a hundred miles each way. Going to Taylor Park, several times this year, I hope.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:19 AM   #4

Rabbit Ears is much worse than 230, and Rabbit Ears will be no problem for your rig. I do 230 quite a bit and it is a pretty mellow drive , just watch your speed downhill that last bit b4 Woods Landing.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #5

Rabbit ears pass. Besides the driving issue, watch the weather closely that time of year. A sudden snowstorm can ruin your day. I got caught in a snowstorm there. I wondered why I was the only vehicle on the highway, good thing, I was all over the road. When I arrived at the West end of the pass the road was closed, with state troopers manning the gate. They asked me how I got past the East gates. I guess it was closed after I went through.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #6

fantastic on top today

We went over Rabbit Ears Pass today and into Laramie ...

It snowed two days ago ... there was a beautiful blanket of white stuff on the summit and the "Rabbit Ears" ...

The roadway was clear and no wind ...

So it was a fantastic ride over the top today ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote