Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2022, 07:39 AM   #1

Rawlings, WY to West Yellowstone Route

Good Morning,
In a couple days we will take off on our trip to West Yellowstone from middle Missouri. Plan is to hit KC then go straight up to Nebraska where we will go straight West to Rawlings Wyoming then up to West Yellowstone for a week then down to Grand Tetons.

From Rawlins to West Yellowstone, there are two route options available. Route one, 191 straight up through the Tetons ans Yellowstone to West Yellowstone. Route two, take split at Jackson and take 22 around the West side of Yellowstone to West Yellowstone.

The rv park manager at West Yellowstone suggested taking 22 around the park versus going through, but I've heard that Teton Pass is a rough drive....

Does anyone have any experience with either of these routes?
Scottypor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2022, 11:28 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I grew up in Wyoming and now live in Colorado. I try to visit Yellowstone every other year...although I've gone there twice in the same year a couple times. If I've driven WY22 it is so long ago that I don't remember but most folks say avoid it in an RV.

The other routes I have driven. I would not take either of the routes mentioned. See this MAP. I would take US 287 from Rawlins all the way to West Yellowstone. Note: US 287, US 26, US 191, etc are the same highway at various points on this route. It is the shortest and I suspect takes less time in an RV than either of the other routes.

Between Dubois and Moran the highway traverses Togwotee (pronounced Toe'-gu-tee) Pass. It is a good climb but easily traversed with any properly loaded MH built since 1980. I make this drive in a gas 34' MH with a Jeep in tow. Previously I did it in a gas 1988 32' MH and before that with a 1972 Ford F250 hauling a 12' camper.

Once inside Yellowstone the route has some relatively short 6% grades up and down. You will probably have more problems with wildlife holdups than with curves or grades. The highways are GOOD.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:49 PM   #3

The RV park manager steered you wrong. Do not take your RV over Hwy 22... very steep.

These are the 2 routes I would consider. We've been in that area often and know the roads.

1228 miles - From Kansas City take I-80 to Rock Springs, WY. Then 191 to 89 west to Alpine, WY. Pick up 26 west toward Rigby, ID (the little zigzag cutoffs a GPS shows right before Rigby are just fine to drive) - or go straight to Idaho Falls and continue 20 north to West Yellowstone. This route avoids a lot of national park travelers and Jackson which is a mess to drive through with an RV. This is a very pleasant drive and no 'big hill' issues.

1128 miles- KC & I-80 to Rawlins then 287/26 to Moran into Teton Nat'l Park then north into Yellowstone then out of Yellowstone to West Yellowstone. It's a nice drive but you will have lots of traffic in the parks.

Have a great trip!!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:07 PM   #4

twogypsies,
Thanks for the info. I think I like the route to Rigby and then up to West Yellowstone. How plentiful is gas along that route?
Scottypor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottypor View Post
twogypsies,
Thanks for the info. I think I like the route to Rigby and then up to West Yellowstone. How plentiful is gas along that route?
Well, at Rock Springs is a Flying J and other stations. There are about 3 in Alpine, and once you get on 20 from Rigby there are stations and naturally, in W. Yellowstone although it may be costlier there.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, yellowstone