Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

Resting while traveling

As a rv owner, when we are traveling are we permitted to rest in weigh scales, or areas marked for trucks only. not rest areas
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #2

We have use truck brake check areas to stop and go, but never to stop and rest unless the lot is big and empty. Would never use it to take a nap, u less it was an emergency.
As for weigh stations, I do not believe we would be very welcome by Law Enforcement. Others can reply.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Good question. I have seen rest areas marked "Truckers Only". Since we are 65 feet long we can't fit in car parking areas, so are we allowed to use these "Trucker Only" facilities?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmac View Post
As a rv owner, when we are traveling are we permitted to rest in weigh scales, or areas marked for trucks only. not rest areas
No you can't.

Pull into the next small town and find a parking lot for your nap.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #5

Weigh Stations are for 'COMMERCIAL' Vehicles during business hours.

If weigh station is closed pulling around to 'parking area' would probably be OK
MIGHT get a knock on door from Law Enforcement to check on you etc.....MIGHT

Also when closed many times the Scale Readout can be read thru window so you can get a 'weighing' by pulling onto scales
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
We have use truck brake check areas to stop and go, but never to stop and rest unless the lot is big and empty. Would never use it to take a nap, u less it was an emergency.
As for weigh stations, I do not believe we would be very welcome by Law Enforcement. Others can reply.
i’ve seen trucks and RVs in *closed* weigh stations. of course i have no idea if they had or needed permission or if they were chased out later on. but i can’t imagine any LEO insisting that you saddle up and vamoose if you’re too tired to drive.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Good question. I have seen rest areas marked "Truckers Only". Since we are 65 feet long we can't fit in car parking areas, so are we allowed to use these "Trucker Only" facilities?
are you a "trucker" ?
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #8

my take is this. truckers are on the road by necessity..they're trying to make a living. and if the reports are true there is a critical shortage of short-term/overnight truck parking spots. it's one thing for RV's to be mixed in with the OTR trucks at a highway rest stop (i do like what FL has done on some of the I-75 rest stops...3 parking areas...cars, RVs and trucks). it's quite another to take a spot from a tired trucker at a 'trucker's only' rest stop and, IMO, that includes the truck parking area at a truck stop (we always park in the front lot at Flying J). RVers have other options for short-term parking (rest, lunch, etc.). be considerate and leave the 'truckers only' spots for truckers.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #9
Dom

Most of the rest areas I've seen say trucks and RV's one way and cars the other
Old 12-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #10

I've always avoided scales and the like, but can't recall seeing "truckers only" marked in rest areas. Don't they usually say cars (with directional arrow) and trucks and vehicles with trailers (directional arrow)? My interpretation of the latter is "longer vehicles" and that would include campers. That's where I've always gone for naps, or as others have suggested, RV areas at Flying J or, Walmart, other truck stops, Cabela's, etc. There are many places to "nap". On occasion we've even pulled off at a rural exit that was large enough with a straight shot back on the interstate to nap.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:28 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
If you can't safely drive anymore, no one is going to arrest you for stopping.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
there are areas that are marked "truckers only". they're usually not developed rest areas...usually just a wide area off the road.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
^ this
Old 12-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
there are areas that are marked "truckers only". they're usually not developed rest areas...usually just a wide area off the road.
The one's I am referring to were in the Carolinas. They are big like the truck and RV side of a standard rest area but with few if any services. I understand not taking a space from a trucker in need, but when I passed them they were empty. All I needed were 3 minutes to pull over and use the head.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel