Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2018, 06:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Question  “Rim of the World Scenic Drive” Info Needed

Shortly, I will drive my 44 foot Class A Newmar diesel pusher motor home from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. I could take the straightforward, easy route on Interstate 15. I thought to try to take a more scenic course on California State Road 18 called the "Rim of the World Scenic Drive" which goes from San Bernardino, by Big Bear Lake, to Barstow, then back to Interstate 15. Has anyone driven a big rig on this road? I have no idea as to the quality, topography, and character of this road. I am hesitant to drive it without some foreknowledge. Could someone who has driven this scenic drive offer any advice or insights? Thank you.
Rolling Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #2

I have taken that route many time in my big rig hauling material and equipment to Big Bear, Lake arrowhead, Green Valley Lake. The route up to Big Bear that you are talking about you will be able to drive, it just after you get to Big Bear and start traveling down the back side on Hwy 18 towards Lucern Valley there are 2 switch backs that will require you to drive in the opposing lane to make the turn. If you feel up to it you can try it, but it will require you to drive safely downhill, watch the uphill traffic at the switchbacks, and then cross the double yellow line. It would not be worth it to me if I were you.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #3

This will also help you make your decision. Looks like your outa the loop for that drive

http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/bus...busmap-d08.pdf

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:42 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I can't help you with that route. I just wanted to welcome you aboard.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Red face

Thanks to you all! Looks like it is back to the Interstate.
Rolling Quad is offline   Reply With Quote